Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think at this stage that Varcoe is going to struggle to hold his spot, which will pave way for Elliott.

If the final spot is a battle between Brown or JT, i think Brown has him shaded at the moment because he goes on ball more, and is higher rated in pressure acts. I reckon JT is well and truly out of form right now.

I think the fact Brown brings the same type of pressure as Varcoe will ultimately lead to a changing of the guard.

Agree on JT, is on struggle street at the moment.

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham
Cox looked like he hurt himself again right sfter he kicked that final quarter goal. Hope just a knock because if he has redone the injury he will be a long time gone.

Aish and Greenwood making it very hard to be the one's to drop out. For me Thomas and unfortunately* Varcoe most likely for Elliott and Adams (when fit).

* unfortunately because we need his pace as we can look slow at times through the midfiled but he just doesn't do enough

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I thought the argument was we’d be too tall, not too slow...
It’s a bit late for that we already moved past that argument...

Whoa, yeah look we joking. The other bloke won’t even be ready either! It’ll be no change.

Tough crowd after a win and a long weekend!

Well your the one that said Drop Aish

Don't need to tackle them if you don't allow them to take possession of the footy. His body work was sensational off limited opportunity.

It's as clear as daylight isn't it? Mostly, the opposition are chasing JDG's tail or feebly attempting to bring him to ground; 1 out he's unplayable.

Surprised Phillips hasn't had much attention on here. Thought he had a bad game yesterday and had multiple clangers. Even though Aish played well yesterday I still think he's our weekest link and can't hold his spot when Langdon and Shaz return. Thomas plays a completely different role and just edges Aish out. As for our most vulnerable I place them in the following debatable order.

Varcoe
Aish
Thomas
Phillips
Brown (don't want to see him dropped as he's an important player for our future).

Considering Stevo had 3 tackles I reckon Degoey needs to work on his defensive game after another donut.

Well IF Aish is a Weak Link then s**t we must have Superstars in all postions :rolleyes:

Nov 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
How anyone can consider dropping Brown before Thomas is beyond belief. Brown has had 49 tackles in 10 games where as Thomas has had 20 in 12 games.

Yesterday, Thomas did not have any tackles.
After watching game again i have to agree with Maggie5 ,he was very ordinary all game .Don't see why he keeps getting games on that performance
unless his role is stay away from the ball and don't lay any tackles in which case he was very good.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
After watching game again i have to agree with Maggie5 ,he was very ordinary all game .Don't see why he keeps getting games on that performance
unless his role is stay away from the ball and don't lay any tackles in which case he was very good.
I've had him in my "outs" a lot recently in these pre-game threads, but Bucks' comments at last week's presser makes me think he's locked in for a while yet

Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't need to tackle them if you don't allow them to take possession of the footy. His body work was sensational off limited opportunity.
I get that but he did spend time in the middle and it's something he needs to work on. He was the only player from both teams not to lay a tackle. You take the goals any day but he's a burst and 1 effort player at this point. Maybe his leg issue has held him back from building enduro.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah, I assume he's the one likely to be available off the injury list and he definitely gets a call up if he is. Thomas, Varcoe or Phillips under pressure unless we didn't get away from yesterdays game with a clean bill of health.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Going to stick up for JT. I agree he's not as prominent as last year and hasn't kicked a bag yet, which he did a few times last season, but I still think his contributions are underrated. Score involvements and inside 50's (which usually hit the man) are right up there considering his role as a small forward who's not a lead up target. The tweaks to our game style and changing mid / forward structures haven't been ideal for him but he's smart, clean (mostly), gets to dangerous positions and sets up others. He's not racking up tackle numbers, like Varcoe for instance, but I feel he contributes much more on a consistent basis at present and compliments the likes of Varcoe and Brown with a different skill set. 26 matches last year and every match this year. Durability and consistency can't be underestimated for team cohesion. Dilgence and dedication to the role he's being asked to play are obviously important in Buck's eyes also.
I'm backing him in.
Having said all that, if he goes back to the two's he'll go straight into the midfield, rack 'em up and remind our coaches that he's pretty good in there as well.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nothing against Josh Thomas but I think he’s going to be the one that misses out when players become available or we give Josh Daicos a run. One thing we don’t take into consideration though is that quite possibly he runs to space as a decoy to free up Stevo and De Goey. Makes sense when they are on fire.

I'd take out Brown before Thomas, not based on form but overall capability. Thomas nails his chances more often than not. Brown does not. Brown is going to be good and is better in the contest already, but if we have one if them taking marks 40m out from goal, which one do we want to kick it? Don't think Brown has hit one all year.

There are plenty of options, but from our best possible team, I'd go

Out: Varcoe, Brown, Aish (a smidgen ahead of greenwood)
In: Adams, Elliot, Langdon.

Thomas and Greenwood are the only others vulnerable at all. Think the match committee might also see Sier in that boat, but I and all other collingwood supporters don't!! All the others are put-your-house-on-it locks if fit, including Phillips.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
The pig isn't vulnerable... the pig is on the spit and roasting hot!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

I don’t know why everybody has it in for Varcoe. It was two smothers in the first quarter to set the tone for the game. Was clean and tidy when did have the ball, the fact our pressure indicators were off the charts, causing turnovers galore is in large part due to Trav and Thomo’s pressure in the forward line! He is everywhere, his role is not to get possessions, but to expend energy in creating turnovers of which there were plenty.

I havent got it in for Varcoe, I just think he's in decline. Per game, he has fewer best efforts and less of an impact than in previous years. Happens to them all eventually, especially an impact player like Varcs. If we are still contending in September, and have a reasonably healthy list, I doubt he'll be selected. I've loved him at the Pies, as a player and a person, but I'm afraid the end is nigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back