Opinion Will Geelong's boutique home ground ruin the Cats final chances?

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Stop being a flog. Punt rd is your training venue, not you home ground.

So because the Cats train at Kardinia Park, it’s now only their ‘training venue’? Your logic is flawed.

Again if I use your flawed logic, the Tigers don’t train at the MCG, ergo it’s not their home ground.

But wait, how can the MCG be the Tigers home ground when it’s the Magpies home ground? And how can it be the Magpies home ground when it’s actually Melbourne’s home ground?

LOL

Geelong plays at least 7 games a year at the G,so they should be familiar enough with it.It would be a sick joke for Richmond to play at Kardinia Park in a final.You would lock out 40,000 people and imo the ground is not worthy of a final.

Who gives a s**t who gets locked out.

Grand Final locks out 100k people. Stiff s**t. Pay more for the tickets or try harder to get one. Entitled much?

GO Catters

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
AFL BOUNDARY DIMENSIONS

Ground - length - width

MCG - 161m - 138m

Firstly, what the AFL should do is make the MCG 160m x 140m. If the AFL can't round up and down then we've got no chance of progressing as a game.

Secondly, knock all venues down EXCEPT for the newly adjusted MCG. Rebuild all of them to same dimensions as the new MCG and call them MCG1, MCG2, MCG3....

Only then shall we have a truly uniform playing experience with no advantages to any side.

We should also do away with uniforms actually. Home side plays in white, away side in black.

I have a few other suggestions for the shape of seats on the bench and colour of laptops in the coaches box but they can wait.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Firstly, what the AFL should do is make the MCG 160m x 140m. If the AFL can't round up and down then we've got no chance of progressing as a game.

Secondly, knock all venues down EXCEPT for the newly adjusted MCG. Rebuild all of them to same dimensions as the new MCG and call them MCG1, MCG2, MCG3....

Only then shall we have a truly uniform playing experience with no advantages to any side.

We should also do away with uniforms actually. Home side plays in white, away side in black.

I have a few other suggestions for the shape of seats on the bench and colour of laptops in the coaches box but they can wait.
Do you suggest we decrease the width of some soccer fields as well if the team wants to build a grandstand or poker machine venue.?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
So because the Cats train at Kardinia Park, it’s now only their ‘training venue’? Your logic is flawed.

Again if I use your flawed logic, the Tigers don’t train at the MCG, ergo it’s not their home ground.

But wait, how can the MCG be the Tigers home ground when it’s the Magpies home ground? And how can it be the Magpies home ground when it’s actually Melbourne’s home ground?

LOL
It’s not like Richmond have much trouble winning at the G....

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Have a look at how the top left boundary line is different to the other side.
Screenshot_20190619-220040_Chrome.jpg

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Well I think it has this year for sure after last week. I think Geelong need to seriously consider playing more home games at the G, or change the ground dimensions at Kardinia Park.

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the actual playing ability at the venue, but i do wonder if the players subconsciously have developed a negative mindset due to it constantly being raised.

Of course it does, because the AFL makes them play home finals at their oppositions' home ground instead of their boutique home ground.

I wonder why no one ever talks about the SCG? For years its always been laughable how its about 2 and a half kicks in length with centre clearance kicks always going deep inside 50. Yet, apparently a longer, narrower ground is the only time different dimensions are a problem.

I wonder if people realise you still have to play football at these venues? You still have to hit targets, kick goals, tackle the opposition.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
not sure if the ground's the issue. Geelong remind me a lot of my team in 2015 when age caught up with many of the players and other good teams started running rings around them. Sorry, not trying to have a crack as I will be barracking for Geelong this week. Just the truth.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wonder why no one ever talks about the SCG? For years its always been laughable how its about 2 and a half kicks in length with centre clearance kicks always going deep inside 50. Yet, apparently a longer, narrower ground is the only time different dimensions are a problem.

I wonder if people realise you still have to play football at these venues? You still have to hit targets, kick goals, tackle the opposition.
The SCG is only 5m shorter than the G, thats 2.5m each way, and a couple of metres narrower.
It looks smaller on TV because the cameras are down much lower.
Kardinia is over 20m narrower than the G, has very shallow pockets and one squashed wing, it is by far the most unique ground in the league.

Back