2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Laughably ignorant post.

If you think Gawn has had a merely “good” year you legitimately have no idea what you’re talking about. He has been immense.
”Immense” would be a slight exaggeration. Maybe we could find some middle ground between “good” and “immense”.

I think it’s fair enough to say Grundy has enjoyed a better year than Gawn, thus far.

Head to head battles between ruckman are useful as a tiebreaker for All Australian debates, but I don’t think one game should alter the consensus opinion from the 11 matches in the first half of the season.

Suffice to say that Pies fans were proclaiming Grundy as a “lock” for the ruck position, but Gawn’s dominant recent form and big game v Grundy on Monday has reopened the discussion and made the ruck position a two horse race.

At this stage, I’d still have Grundy as my ruckman with Gawn one of 10 players in line for a spot on the bench.

I’m not 100% sure we’re quite at the the same point as last year when both players dominated the comp and forced the AA selection committee to choose the pair of them.

Last edited:
”Immense” would be a slight exaggeration. Maybe we could find some middle ground between “good” and “immense”.

I think it’s fair enough to say Grundy has enjoyed a better year than Gawn, thus far.

Head to head battles between ruckman are useful as a tiebreaker for All Australian debates, but I don’t think one game should alter the consensus opinion from the 11 matches in the first half of the season.

Suffice to say that Pies fans were proclaiming Grundy as a “lock” for the ruck position, but Gawn’s dominant recent form and big game v Grundy on Monday has reopened the discussion and made the ruck position a two horse race.

At this stage, I’d still have Grundy as my ruckman with Gawn one of 10 players in line for a spot on the bench.

I’m not 100% sure we’re quite at the the same point as last year when both players dominated the comp and forced the AA selection committee to choose the pair of them.

That’s how I see it. Grundy in front but Gawn has hit some serious form over the last month or more and is coming fast. Either way, they will both be in the 22, and years down the track, nobody will remember who was in the 18, and who was on the bench.

Interestingly the afl player ratings has Gawn a fair way ahead of Grundy. It’s funny how most see Grundy ahead by a margin.

Guessing the hit outs to advantage stats we don’t see favour Gawn.

Gawn also averages more clearances, contested marks and a fair bit more meters gained per game.

With injuries and form this post from the pre-season has got to change

B: Hurn Andrews McGovern
HB: Sicily Blicavs Ryan
C: Whitfield Cripps TKelly
HF: Ablett Cameron Bontempelli
F: Walters Hawkins DeGoey
Foll: Gawn Dangerfield Boak
Bench: Grundy Cunnington Neale JKelly
Sorry mate but Tom Stewart is a lock in the back line.

I stand by immense. You’re a smart guy. If you watched Melbourne closely every week I think you’d be inclined to agree. If we’re in a tough trot right now, I shudder to think where we’d be without Max. Probably 0-12.

For the record I don’t give a stuff who is first or second ruck. I just think it’s ridiculous to claim there is some huge gap between them as the poster I was responding to suggested. Especially on the back of Gawn’s performance over Grundy on the weekend, injured or not.

another 10 coaches votes for cunners
Gun. Surely makes the team this year. Would probably have been in the AA team a couple of times if he played for a bigger club. He's been great for years now. Arguably one of the most consistent mids in the comp over many years. Hope he gets the recognition he deserves this year.

Interestingly the afl player ratings has Gawn a fair way ahead of Grundy. It’s funny how most see Grundy ahead by a margin.

Gawn also averages more clearances, contested marks and a fair bit more meters gained per game.

so Gawn leads in the major areas you want your ruckmen to excel at.

Grundy gets alot of the ball and according to the media is an extra midfielder, that is why people notice him more. The funny thing is Grundy averages around 1.5 more possessions than Gawn.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gun. Surely makes the team this year. Would probably have been in the AA team a couple of times if he played for a bigger club. He's been great for years now. Arguably one of the most consistent mids in the comp over many years. Hope he gets the recognition he deserves this year.

Even if he were media friendly as opposed to militantly anti-media he'd have a few more.

The same player ratings that have Stanley as the no.2 ruck since the bye last year

The same player ratings that have Stanley as the no.2 ruck since the bye last year
I know there are issues with the rating system and they throw in the odd anomaly, however in general they tend to be a good overview. Especially where large discrepancies.

I don’t have a dog in this fight as don’t have a preference between the two, and only really care about their DT performance. Will tweet them to see if they can explain the difference between Gawn and Grundy and report back.

In no order:
Sicilly
Rich
Whitfield
Hurn
Stewart
Crisp
Rampe
Saad

In my opinion theres 8 guys who are definitely better

Edit: also a few very debatable ones, have Luke Ryan, Caleb Daniel and Bachar Houli been better than Lloyd?

theres also Rory Laird whos made the squad the 40 squad the last 4 seasons and is averaging 28 disposals to Lloyds 31, whos preferred?

So theres 12 players arguably better than Jake Lloyd.
Shepherd is dynamite - just doesnt get beaten

I haven't really been watching any Gold Coast games, but what's the go with Witts? Not getting anywhere near as much of the pill as Gawn/Grundy, but smashing out hitout numbers.

Cannot believe so many people last year were giving tom mitchell so much crap, then so many people are on here professing their love for cunnington???

Mate cunnington's just a way worse version of Titch.

7 less disposals than titch, yet amazingly 1.5 more handballs per game. 29 disposals for 192 metres gained vs 36 for 446 metres gained.

Cannot believe so many people last year were giving tom mitchell so much crap, then so many people are on here professing their love for cunnington???

7 less disposals than titch, yet amazingly 1.5 more handballs per game. 29 disposals for 192 metres gained vs 36 for 446 metres gained.
This is absolutely spot on, but I'm a big fan of Mitchell and as such I also like Cunnington. Both deserve to be known as very prolific centre men.

Round 12 update

B: Dane Rampe - Mark Blicavs - Shannon Hurn (C)
HB: Daniel Rich - Harris Andrews - Tom Stewart
C: Ricky Henderson - Tim Kelly - Josh Kelly
HF: Michael Walters - Jeremy Cameron - Patrick Dangerfield
F: Jordan De Goey - Tom Hawkins - Gary Ablett Jr
R: Brodie Grundy - Nathan Fyfe - Patrick Cripps (VC)
I: Max Gawn - Lachie Neale - Ben Cunnington - Travis Boak

Mitchell's a gun. I like both.

But judging inside mids by metres gained is absolutely nonsensical. May as well judge forwards by rebound 50s.

They're also different types of players, which makes it a strange comparison in the first place. Comparing Cunnington's 2019 to Mitchell's 2018, Cunnington has more contested possessions per game, and they make up a greater percentage of his total possessions, he has more clearances, and he's better in the air. Interestingly enough, he also has a better disposal efficiency and fewer turnovers. Mitchell has more tackles, possessions, and inside 50s, but only fractionally more score involvements, indicating that Cunnington makes his possessions count more. It's telling too that he also spent 11% more time on ground than Cunnington. Cunnington is a pure inside mid, Mitchell's an all-rounder.

Round 12 update

B: Dane Rampe - Mark Blicavs - Shannon Hurn (C)
HB: Daniel Rich - Harris Andrews - Tom Stewart
C: Ricky Henderson - Tim Kelly - Josh Kelly
HF: Michael Walters - Jeremy Cameron - Patrick Dangerfield
F: Jordan De Goey - Tom Hawkins - Gary Ablett Jr
R: Brodie Grundy - Nathan Fyfe - Patrick Cripps (VC)
I: Max Gawn - Lachie Neale - Ben Cunnington - Travis Boak
OUTS ; Rampe ,Rich , Henderson , Walters , Ablett ,Fyfe , DeGoey
INS ; Coniglio , Hoskin-Elliott ,Jetta,Stephenson , Yeo ,Rohan , Brad Hill

I know there are issues with the rating system and they throw in the odd anomaly, however in general they tend to be a good overview. Especially where large discrepancies.

I don’t have a dog in this fight as don’t have a preference between the two, and only really care about their DT performance. Will tweet them to see if they can explain the difference between Gawn and Grundy and report back.

Why do they persist with separate category for wingman? A massive portion of clubs don't play with genuine wingman anyway and use them as extra mids.

North supporters just keep popping up on this thread like annoying little gnats - 'what about Norf, what about Norf'

A few things -

Cunnington has been immense this year, and if he keeps it up, will most likely make it in.

Tarrant is not better than Blicavs, that is a joke. Brown only kicked 5 on Blics because Stewart was off the ground with concussion, which forced our match ups to change, which is why Brown scored 3 goals in that 20 minutes. Up until then, he'd scored 1 goal and was well held. Geelong as a defence has conceded 788 points and North as a defence has conceded 1065 points. Blicavs and Stewart have led that charge.

Ben Brown has scored about half of his goals from free kicks. That does not make him an AA forward.

Aside from Cunnington, no other player is in the conversation. Stop trying to make your club relevant in a year when its not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back