Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Isn’t it 4th

What’s the difference between rating and ranking?

That chart breaks me brain
Not sure if this is actually your question, but Champion Data have two different catch-all numbers, rankings points and player ratings points. The rankings points are supercoach-like, where different kinds of acts get different points weightings - the sort of system where 100 is a good score. Unlike supercoach they don’t include some of the weird stuff that adds randomness to supercoach as a game. Ratings points measure the difference in what they call score equity (basically the change in likelihood that your team will get the next goal) for each involvement in play. Nice thing about that system is the score maps to the scoreboard value of your game in points. A rating score of more than about 25 is an outstanding game and more than 15 as a season average is elite.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
He is a jet and has been for a long time. The rest of the competition are now starting to realize just how good he is.

Very similar on that regard to Stevo. Constantly overlooked for AA selection, finally got one in 99 from memory. Hopefully Ben can do the same 20 years on.

I’d be curious to read how others rate him against Stevo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very similar on that regard to Stevo. Constantly overlooked for AA selection, finally got one in 99 from memory. Hopefully Ben can do the same 20 years on.

I was young when Stevo was in his prime, but Ben opens up play using his vision and handballing to an extent which I have not seen grace a footy field. He has some deficiencies, but the things he's good at, he's the best at.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From the AFL website, who would have thought;

" Ben Cunnington – Putting together one of the great midfield seasons. Is racking up AFL-highs in contested possessions (17.7) and clearances (8.5), relegating Carlton superstar Patrick Cripps to second in each. Physical brute with the best hands in the business."

" But ......Cripps, Cripps......blah, blah, blah........" f*** off.

Yep, let's trade him.

( p.s. Ben10 - Happy 200th )

Last edited by a moderator:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
From the AFL website, who would have thought;

" Ben Cunnington – Putting together one of the great midfield seasons. Is racking up AFL-highs in contested possessions (17.7) and clearances (8.5), relegating Carlton superstar Patrick Cripps to second in each. Physical brute with the best hands in the business."

" But Cripps, Cripps....." f*** off.

Yep, let's trade him.

( p.s. Ben10 - Happy 200th )

AA selection committee: “ yeah look he was stiff to miss out, but who do you leave out to put him in?”

* that, he should be first selected in the guts and you slot the others in around HIM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Not sure if this is actually your question, but Champion Data have two different catch-all numbers, rankings points and player ratings points. The rankings points are supercoach-like, where different kinds of acts get different points weightings - the sort of system where 100 is a good score. Unlike supercoach they don’t include some of the weird stuff that adds randomness to supercoach as a game. Ratings points measure the difference in what they call score equity (basically the change in likelihood that your team will get the next goal) for each involvement in play. Nice thing about that system is the score maps to the scoreboard value of your game in points. A rating score of more than about 25 is an outstanding game and more than 15 as a season average is elite.

Apologies if it’s bleedingly obvious, Mr Zombie, but do we have rating numbers for each player?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
521714_4cef430a64fb80caf3dfa2b929ffb383.jpg
521714_4cef430a64fb80caf3dfa2b929ffb383.jpg

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Both are your classic no fuss, tough as nails, farm boys but after that they are fairly different players. Stevo was a very kick heavy player and could get on his bike and wheel around on his left whereas Cunners is far less mobile and obviously relies on handball more.

Stevo will always be one of my all time favourites but Ben is the more skilled footballer.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Both are your classic no fuss, tough as nails, farm boys but after that they are fairly different players. Stevo was a very kick heavy player and could get on his bike and wheel around on his left whereas Cunners is far less mobile and obviously relies on handball more.

Stevo will always be one of my all time favourites but Ben is the more skilled footballer.

Yeah they’re not similar in playing style, I was more thinking about being hard, no fuss types. Both will probably go their careers being under appreciated footballers outside of Arden St.

Yeah they’re not similar in playing style, I was more thinking about being hard, no fuss types. Both will probably go their careers being under appreciated footballers outside of Arden St.

Stevo had a tank and a half.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

It was an unfortunate fate of time that Stevo was usually up against G. Williams, R. Harvey & G. Hocking for spots.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
And beat them all Snake. Remember he did his knee once rd. 20 or 21. Was back for first day pre-season next year.

Consistently? I love Stevo as much as any North person, but I don't know about that mate.

Two of those blokes are GOAT category, and the other is arguably the most underrated player of the 90's.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Universally loved because he represents traditional North values to his bootlaces.

- Blue collar
- Proper Hard
- No :waterbuffalo::poo:
- Never buckles
- Deeds not words
- Unassuming

He's one of the few real men left playing in an era of hairstyle & cosmetically obsessive, virtue signalling, careerist impostors.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
So, finally, are a fair few Bigfooty posters.
Haha yeah I still remember those years you and I defended him staying in the royal blue and white, whilst others said he was too slow for the modern game.. yadda.. yadda.. and here we are in 2019 with him dominating the league, still in the mighty royal blue and white.

Congrats Ben10 we luv ya like a brother!

cant remember who said it but during State Of Origin a commentator said something along the lines of "Stevo would be the first selected every time". Was a real badge of honor.

Universally loved because he represents traditional North values to his bootlaces.

- Blue collar
- Proper Hard
- No :waterbuffalo::poo:
- Never buckles
- Deeds not words
- Unassuming

He's one of the few real men left playing in an era of hairstyle & cosmetically obsessive, virtue signalling, careerist impostors.
Not that keen on coloured boots either snake :D

Back