Analysis Surprises and Disappointments from 1st Half of Season

From the Herald Sun:
COLLINGWOOD
Surprise packet: Jordan Roughead

Roughead has been one of the budget recruits of the season. The Bulldogs gave up the utility for a fourth-round pick and boy, has he made them pay, proving to be a vital cog in the Pies defence. The 28-year-old was played as a forward and in the ruck at his old club in recent years and was underwhelming, but has thrived as a defender. Has been solid as a rock in the black and white, ranking eighth in the competition for one-percenters.

Disappointment: Dayne Beams

We marvelled at the star-studded Collingwood midfield when Beams returned to his former club at the death in last year’s trade period, but the star has failed to have the impact the Pies would have hoped. Beams has still tallied 25 touches per game but is averaging just 81 SuperCoach points – his lowest numbers since his debut season. He hit a low point against the Dockers, managing just 14 touches.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...b/news-story/6e1c4bc935f39c4c62d1c9c923160f56

I was surprised that I ordered a pie at the footy yesterday, I've been doing such a fine job of curbing the calories. I was disappointed when I ordered a second pie at half time.

I'm surprised that people take Robbo too seriously. I'm disappointed that I'm surprised, because I should know better.

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
I was surprised that I ordered a pie at the footy yesterday, I've been doing such a fine job of curbing the calories. I was disappointed when I ordered a second pie at half time.

I'm surprised that people take Robbo too seriously. I'm disappointed that I'm surprised, because I should know better.
I had the colonel on the way to the game yesty.....then ronalds for dinner on the way home. In hinesight tho, probably should have went an upgrade at the colonel cause the chips are delicious

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I was starting to get a little down about our season last week, with our form dropping off, and having season ending injuries to Beams and Wells.

But I head into the bye very positive.

Sier is back, and I reckon a crucial link for us.

WHE is back in form after a very slow start.

Cox is back, and Adams and Elliott will follow after the break. That's 3 of our best 6 forwards back up and running. De Goey is back too after a few weeks off. The bye will do him good.

Our VFL team is doing poor, but Shaz and Daicos must be close to selection. Plus we have the depth of Ben Reid or Tyson Goldsack if we get desperate. Quaynor also looks physically ready to step up if required. So we have some depth there to call upon, even if it is not as strong as we first thought. Although we've had a lot of injuries, so the VFL team is always the one that takes the biggest hit.

In my opinion, we only need to clean 2 things up now:

1. Goal-kicking. Our set shot accuracy is appalling and we will lose big finals if we don't kick better.

2. Centre clearances and stoppage work need massive improvement. The introduction of Sier and Adams should clean this up.

Fix those 2 things up and we will be close to unstoppable.

I was starting to get a little down about our season last week, with our form dropping off, and having season ending injuries to Beams and Wells.

But I head into the bye very positive.

Sier is back, and I reckon a crucial link for us.

WHE is back in form after a very slow start.

Cox is back, and Adams and Elliott will follow after the break. That's 3 of our best 6 forwards back up and running. De Goey is back too after a few weeks off. The bye will do him good.

Our VFL team is doing poor, but Shaz and Daicos must be close to selection. Plus we have the depth of Ben Reid or Tyson Goldsack if we get desperate. Quaynor also looks physically ready to step up if required. So we have some depth there to call upon, even if it is not as strong as we first thought. Although we've had a lot of injuries, so the VFL team is always the one that takes the biggest hit.

In my opinion, we only need to clean 2 things up now:

1. Goal-kicking. Our set shot accuracy is appalling and we will lose big finals if we don't kick better.

2. Centre clearances and stoppage work need massive improvement. The introduction of Sier and Adams should clean this up.

Fix those 2 things up and we will be close to unstoppable.

I agree 100% on our finish i.e. your point 1. Our kicking for goal has been ordinary when compared to last year. Checkers, Stevo, and JdG all seem to be suffering from the set-shot yips. I think this is greatly more important than the 2nd point.

I'm not as concerned about our midfield as most others seem to be. There were periods yesterday where Melbourne had the ascendancy but they were still in the game only because we were messy with our finish. Both Pendles and Treloar had shockers in terms of disposal and Grundy was up against Gawn who is the numero uno tap ruck ATM. This has been discussed before but measuring midfield effectiveness solely in terms of clearances / stoppages might not be giving us the entire picture. I do see improvement in our stoppage numbers coinciding with the return of Adams and Sier's increased output as he gets his AFL level touch back.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Disappointment. The quality and consistency of our play has been average.

Surprise. We have found ways to win generally anyway.

Usual for me:

Let a few customers down by over-promising

Displayed modest care for my offspring

Skipped leg day at the gym once the weather turned cold

dont-skip-leg-day.jpeg

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Usual for me:

Let a few customers down by over-promising

Displayed modest care for my offspring

Skipped leg day at the gym once the weather turned cold

Come on leg day is awesome.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Surprisingly good:
  • Moore
  • Roughead
  • Aish/Greenwood down back
  • Defensive unit
Disappointed:
  • Injury to Wells, Beams, Langdon and Co
  • Goal kicking
  • Umpires
  • DE Goey's hair
Oh yeah nearly forgot, disappointed in not seeing the Bear play until round 12.

Last edited:
Surprises:

- Moore: I knew in my heart he was good, but AA considerations in his first year as a KPD is awesome.
- Callum: Had no idea he could accelerate like that and I watched him play every week for 2 years as a colt.
- Roughie: He has settled in and exceeded most people's expectations.
- Greenwood: I thought he was gone, he has virtually redefined himself as a small defender in the last 3 rounds. What a survivor.

Disappointments:

- Beamer: I wanted the prodigal son to shine on his return.
- Wells: If Wells going down on his first game back in the seniors was not akin to a Greek tragedy, what is?
- Our kicking for goal: Seriously, W.T.F?
- Stephenson must still be skipping leg day at the gym.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprises:

- Moore: I knew in my heart he was good, but AA considerations in his first year as a KPD is awesome.
- Callum: Had no idea he could accelerate like that and I watched him play every week for 2 years as a colt.
- Roughie: He has settled in and exceeded most people's expectations.
- Greenwood: I thought he was gone, he has virtually redefined himself as a small defender in the last 3 rounds. What a survivor.

Disappointments:

- Beamer: I wanted the prodigal son to shine on his return.
- Wells: If Wells going down on his first game back in the seniors was not akin to a Greek tragedy, what is?
- Our kicking for goal: Seriously, W.T.F?
- Stephenson must still be skipping leg day at the gym.
Greenwood is the ultimate survivor - a bloke you would be glad to go to war with. He ain't the prettiest and he doesn't know what polish is but he's as hard as nails and as plays like there is no tomorrow. We need Greenwood types very bit as much as we need the silk of Pendlebury, the power of De Goey and the promise of Stephenson. He makes others walk taller and I suspect causes the occasional short step in opposition ranks. He can smell Father Time sneaking up behind him and he isn't going without a fight. If we are lucky enough to jag a flag, I hope he's in the 22.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprises:

How good and valuable Roughead has been; we now have the best Roughead in the league.

Nail polish. No issue with it, just surprised.

Disappointments:

For our team that Wells got injured after showing he’s such a high value player

Losing to Fremantle, just unnecessary.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back