Review Good/Bad v GWS, Rd 12 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely calling for the ball.
There is no way he can tell thats going through.

I've already demonstrated I think that he had put the arms up before he had kicked it (the photo is post boot, but he couldnt have gotten his arms up in time).

That would be an early celebration indeed.

There a number of people on this forum who seem to believe that Jenkins has inherently nefarious intentions. It borders on the ridiculous.

No, that's inane hyperbole.

There's nothing nefarious about it and no one has suggested otherwise.

Demonstrating that people were wrong about what he was doing, and suggesting that perhaps there was something better than what he did do to be done aren't expansive criticisms.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25

Seedsman 21 wing
Milera 18 (5w)
Atkins 17 (16w, 1i)
B.Crouch 17
M.Crouch 15
Sloane 15
CEY 12
Gallucci 4 wing
Smith 4 wing
Douglas 2

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Jenkins 1

1st Half - 9

Atkins 8 (7w, 1i)
M.Crouch 7
Seedsman 6 wing
Milera 6 (4w, 2i)
Sloane 6
B.Crouch 5
CEY 4
Douglas 2
Gallucci 1 wing

O'Brien 9

Final Term - 9

Milera 9
Seedsman 8 wing
B.Crouch 6
Sloane 5
Atkins 4 wing
CEY 4
Smith 4 wing
M.Crouch 3
Gallucci 2 wing

O'Brien 8
Jenkins 1

Notes:
- Highest percentage of bounces attended in analysed games for Milera. 2nd is also his highest finish within a game
- First analysed game featuring Greenwood without a midfield rotation for him
- Lowest finish for Matt Crouch in analysed games this season
- CEY has finished as the 7th mid in 2 out of the last 3 analysed games

I love that we’re actually playing Milera as a midfield, including starting him a fair bit at the centre bounces.

We (at least the smart people) have been calling for this for a while and it’s brilliant to see it happening. Hopefully he goes from strength to strength.

Good to hear Pyke talk about it in his post-match presser; it’s a planned thing.

Hard for Gibbs and Greenwood to compete for selection as midfielder against Milera’s pace and smooth moves.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 25

Seedsman 21 wing
Milera 18 (5w)
Atkins 17 (16w, 1i)
B.Crouch 17
M.Crouch 15
Sloane 15
CEY 12
Gallucci 4 wing
Smith 4 wing
Douglas 2

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Jenkins 1

1st Half - 9

Atkins 8 (7w, 1i)
M.Crouch 7
Seedsman 6 wing
Milera 6 (4w, 2i)
Sloane 6
B.Crouch 5
CEY 4
Douglas 2
Gallucci 1 wing

O'Brien 9

Final Term - 9

Milera 9
Seedsman 8 wing
B.Crouch 6
Sloane 5
Atkins 4 wing
CEY 4
Smith 4 wing
M.Crouch 3
Gallucci 2 wing

O'Brien 8
Jenkins 1

Notes:
- Highest percentage of bounces attended in analysed games for Milera. 2nd is also his highest finish within a game
Thanks curious, how do you get all this info?

And Kane McGoodwin did you see Douglas’s numbers? 2. I had to laugh, so still think Douglas is the mid Greenwood would have been replacing against Richmond after his “rest” against GWS :)

What’s also laughable is that we actually selected Douglas as a forward, so we keep the tradition going, find new roles for senior players just to keep them in the team. Reilly, VB, Mackay, Douglas.

I've already demonstrated I think that he had put the arms up before he had kicked it (the photo is post boot, but he couldnt have gotten his arms up in time).

That would be an early celebration indeed.
To be fair, most of us at the ground did the same thing.

That was never missing.

Overall Summary - 25

Seedsman 21 wing
Milera 18 (5w)
Atkins 17 (16w, 1i)
B.Crouch 17
M.Crouch 15
Sloane 15
CEY 12
Gallucci 4 wing
Smith 4 wing
Douglas 2

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Jenkins 1

1st Half - 9

Atkins 8 (7w, 1i)
M.Crouch 7
Seedsman 6 wing
Milera 6 (4w, 2i)
Sloane 6
B.Crouch 5
CEY 4
Douglas 2
Gallucci 1 wing

O'Brien 9

Final Term - 9

Milera 9
Seedsman 8 wing
B.Crouch 6
Sloane 5
Atkins 4 wing
CEY 4
Smith 4 wing
M.Crouch 3
Gallucci 2 wing

O'Brien 8
Jenkins 1

Notes:
Awesome Job, is it possible to add 1 more stat? Showing how many winning center clearances.

Brad getting to be a regular...

Crows pair picked in Team of the Week

Round 12 Team of the Week:

B: Rory Laird (Adelaide), Jordan Roughead (Collingwood), Dane Rampe (Sydney)
HB: Jake Lloyd (Sydney), Jacob Weitering (Carlton), Jarrod Harbrow (Gold Coast)
C: Josh Kelly (GWS), Patrick Cripps (Carlton), Jared Polec (North Melbourne)
HF: Tom Papley (Sydney), Tom Hawkins (Geelong), Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood)
F: Gary Ablett (Geelong), Lance Franklin (Sydney), Gryan Miers (Geelong)
FOL: Max Gawn (Melbourne), Ben Cunnington (North Melbourne), Brad Crouch (Adelaide)
INT: Tim Kelly (Geelong), Jack Ziebell (North Melbourne), Ed Curnow (Carlton), Tim Taranto (GWS)

Crows in the AFL.com.au Team of the Week:

R1 – Nil
R2 - B. Crouch
R3 – Nil
R4 - A. Keath
R5 - B. Smith, E. Betts
R6 – R. Laird, A. Keath, T. Walker
R7 - M. Crouch
R8 - A. Keath, T. Lynch
R9 - Nil
R10 - C. Ellis-Yolmen
R11 - R. Laird, T. Lynch, B. Crouch
R12 - R. Laird, B. Crouch
Jared Polec as in the player Port traded out, that Jared Polec?

Thanks curious, how do you get all this info?

And Kane McGoodwin did you see Douglas’s numbers? 2. I had to laugh, so still think Douglas is the mid Greenwood would have been replacing against Richmond after his “rest” against GWS :)
I said he was in their at least once..
Probably 2-3 times, so which part of this statement was wrong?!

Greenwood has also been going in minimal times of late too, except for when Sloane was injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference I saw this week was he was getting into good positions across half forward where he could influence the game with a mark or a handball

Next step is to kick a goal or two from there then time in the midfield, but he is definitely improving
True but I think that he’s been getting in good positions for a while,including his good form at the end of last year.

That Douglas played as a midfielder
I said he played in the midfield briefly, which he did on a couple of occasions... with the majority of time spent as a forward.

That is a fact, which for some reason you want to argue over.

Overall Summary - 25

Seedsman 21 wing
Milera 18 (5w)
Atkins 17 (16w, 1i)
B.Crouch 17
M.Crouch 15
Sloane 15
CEY 12
Gallucci 4 wing
Smith 4 wing
Douglas 2

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Jenkins 1

1st Half - 9

Atkins 8 (7w, 1i)
M.Crouch 7
Seedsman 6 wing
Milera 6 (4w, 2i)
Sloane 6
B.Crouch 5
CEY 4
Douglas 2
Gallucci 1 wing

O'Brien 9

Final Term - 9

Milera 9
Seedsman 8 wing
B.Crouch 6
Sloane 5
Atkins 4 wing
CEY 4
Smith 4 wing
M.Crouch 3
Gallucci 2 wing

O'Brien 8
Jenkins 1

Notes:
Thanks, as very I interesting analysis for the different periods of the game. We used our bigger body mids earlier in the game... then when we had to put our foot down in the last quarter we used a relatively rested Milera in the guts. Also, used Smith more off Atkins wing to generate more run.

We clearly managed Mrouch 1st game back, particularly with the 5 day break. Also, given we rested Rat more than Seed, imo Mackay will come in for Seed this week with the short turnaround.

I said he played in the midfield briefly, which he did on a couple of occasions... with the majority of time spent as a forward.

That is a fact, which for some reason you want to argue over.
I asked at the time which midfielder Greenwood was going to come in for and you said Douglas. Clearly Douglas didn't play midfield. 2 centre square appearances is not playing as a midfielder.

Anyway, its clear what happened and I am happy to leave it at that.

Yes. Eddie's kick was "routine". There have been no comments, however, on the most important part of this goal: the brilliant tap-on, which was the only reason Eddie got to take the kick. This was also "routine" for Eddie, but is not something that anyone else in the team (and wider) is capable of. These set-up taps are the most important characteristic of Eddie's game.

The funny part is he got the most minor of contact with the ball, but it was enough to keep it in.

You're joking right?
Gawn had 30+ touches and smashed the best ruckman in the league.

That was one of the best games from a ruck I've ever seen on Monday.
Two possessions behind Dean Cox's all time most possessions for a ruckman game (36 possessions)

I asked at the time which midfielder Greenwood was going to come in for and you said Douglas. Clearly Douglas didn't play midfield. 2 centre square appearances is not playing as a midfielder.

Anyway, its clear what happened and I am happy to leave it at that.

To be fair a number of players play a 'midfield' role that dont start in the centre square.
Lachy Whitfield never starts in the centre square. The rest of the game he certainly plays as a midfielder.

Awesome Job, is it possible to add 1 more stat? Showing how many winning center clearances.
That stat is available on footywire if you're interested

Centre clearances :
Rob - 5
Mrouch - 3
Brouch - 2
Dougy - 1
CEY - 1
Milera - 1

Stoppage Clearances :
Brouch - 5
JJ - 4
ROB - 4
Mrouch - 3
CEY - 3
Sloane - 2
Rat - 2
Huey - 2
Smith - 1
Laird - 1
Hartigan - 1
Gallucci - 1

Interesting stat : Metres gained : Brodie Smith - 69 metres, that would have to be right up there with his lowest ever output without going back to check, only surpassed on the night by Huey - 38 metres

Last edited:

Overall Summary - 25

Seedsman 21 wing
Milera 18 (5w)
Atkins 17 (16w, 1i)
B.Crouch 17
M.Crouch 15
Sloane 15
CEY 12
Gallucci 4 wing
Smith 4 wing
Douglas 2

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Jenkins 1

1st Half - 9

Atkins 8 (7w, 1i)
M.Crouch 7
Seedsman 6 wing
Milera 6 (4w, 2i)
Sloane 6
B.Crouch 5
CEY 4
Douglas 2
Gallucci 1 wing

O'Brien 9

Final Term - 9

Milera 9
Seedsman 8 wing
B.Crouch 6
Sloane 5
Atkins 4 wing
CEY 4
Smith 4 wing
M.Crouch 3
Gallucci 2 wing

O'Brien 8
Jenkins 1

Notes:
Milera getting the midfield rotation Greenwood had.
Also seems that CEY is a preferred midfield option over Greenwood.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back