Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re currently 2 games and a fair chunk of % ahead of fifth and the way the seasons shaking out, as long as we don’t finish 3rd, week 1 of finals is in Melbourne so I think we need to give serious thought to player management and number 1 on that list for me is Grundy.

If he plays like that at any point in September we’re in trouble and whenever he’s struggled this year he’s been under an injury cloud (Rd 1 his toe, late v Freo his ankle and v Gawn). Coming up against the Bulldogs and English is an opportunity to give him a solid 20 day break from senior footy and expose Lynch to senior footy if we choose that path.

In: Lynch/ Reid and Elliott (if fit)
Out: Grundy and Varcoe

The next on the management hit list for me are Stephenson, Pendles, Crisp and Sidebottom as the likes of Elliott, Shaz and Adams transition back into the 22.

20 day breaks aren't good for players. Missing a weekend here or there is okay, but not playing for three straight weeks and they lose fitness. I'm okay with giving him a rest at some point, but would think that would be a game off maybe sometime late July, rather than missing a few weeks.

Same with Pendles, probably same with Moore (given injury history). I wouldn't be too keen on resting players (outside of Grundy and maybe Pendles) until we have pretty much wrapped up top 2.

From here, if we win the games we should win, and lose the game we probably should lose, we will finish top 2 (and therefore play a travelling team first week of finals at MCG). If we drop a game here or there that we shouldn't, then third is on the cards, meaning Sydney or Perth first week (which would be season terminal..). Watch the Bulldogs v Richmond game and you'll be less inclined to rest Brody for that... Based on all of the above, I'd prefer to rest Grundy for the Weagles game at Optus Stadium than the Bulldogs.

They are about to have a week off & get another one before the finals. Surely that’s enough?
I’m not sure Lynch deserves a senior game anyway. If we were to rest Grundy I’d imagine it would be Cox to the ruck & Reid forward.

Langdon is still much quicker than Schaz though.

In terms of footspeed which is negated by the difference in “brain speed”. You can’t play both with Roughead in the team, but there’s 100% room for 4 of Roughead, Howe, Moore, Langdon and Shaz, IMO, given we did just that for the first 8 weeks of the season.

20 day breaks aren't good for players. Missing a weekend here or there is okay, but not playing for three straight weeks and they lose fitness. I'm okay with giving him a rest at some point, but would think that would be a game off maybe sometime late July, rather than missing a few weeks.

Same with Pendles, probably same with Moore (given injury history). I wouldn't be too keen on resting players (outside of Grundy and maybe Pendles) until we have pretty much wrapped up top 2.

From here, if we win the games we should win, and lose the game we probably should lose, we will finish top 2 (and therefore play a travelling team first week of finals at MCG). If we drop a game here or there that we shouldn't, then third is on the cards, meaning Sydney or Perth first week (which would be season terminal..). Watch the Bulldogs v Richmond game and you'll be less inclined to rest Brody for that... Based on all of the above, I'd prefer to rest Grundy for the Weagles game at Optus Stadium than the Bulldogs.

You aren’t serious about that are you? An extra week doesn’t have any impact on a professional athletes fitness unless they aren’t training even then I have massive doubts. If Geelong don’t s**t the bed there is no tangible difference between finishing 2nd and 4th so there’s no need to press for top 2 if players are 50/50 which Grundy clearly was on the weekend.

I’m confused by the Bulldogs v Richmond reference? Given Richmond are an entirely different club to us with different players and staff. An accurate reference point for whatever point you’re making surely needs to involve us in 2019.

They are about to have a week off & get another one before the finals. Surely that’s enough?
I’m not sure Lynch deserves a senior game anyway. If we were to rest Grundy I’d imagine it would be Cox to the ruck & Reid forward.

When it comes to the most important player in the league I’m happy to the point of encouraging of the club to manage players just as Geelong have been and will be over the next three months.

Edit: To clarify what’s the basis on which Lynch doesn’t deserve a game? As long as he can play a role he deserves to be in the frame if we choose to rest Grundy and v English he is capable, IMO.

Last edited:
Think Varcoe will be out based off Bucks comments regarding JT last week
At the end he’s the logical one to lose his spot if say Adams (two more weeks after bye is the word?) returns.

He’s the one looking most vulnerable.

I havent got it in for Varcoe, I just think he's in decline. Per game, he has fewer best efforts and less of an impact than in previous years. Happens to them all eventually, especially an impact player like Varcs. If we are still contending in September, and have a reasonably healthy list, I doubt he'll be selected. I've loved him at the Pies, as a player and a person, but I'm afraid the end is nigh.
In words you’ve crystallised it.

He’s a fine player but just not what he was. And with more players returning he’s vulnerable.

I think many of us love what he brings but we also know he’s just tipping to the side of outer Best 22.

I’m with Scodog10 on this key point.

There’s no tangible difference between finishing first to fourth.

(Side note: As a team we’ve traveled really well anyway so that should not matter at all.)

(Side note: As a team we’ve traveled really well anyway so that should not matter at all.)

As long as it isn’t west. For instance if we finish 3rd and catch GWS I have no concerns whatsoever over our ability to win that one given the crowd will be 70-30 our way.

Geelong tend to manage their players when they are scheduled to play at their **** hole of a ground. Worth 2-3 goals at least

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes they do.

As a side note, though it’s a skinny ground, they really have developed it well.
Very nice boutique stadium now. Comfortable.

The old days, sardines came to mind.

Ofcourse thats our reserves games these days that I’ve been there.

It’s a lament we never built Victoria Park into a sustainable boutique venue.
Say even 50,000 or minimum 45,000.

Play games v all interstate sides, North, Bulldogs those sorts of games.

Never going to happen, but it’s a shame, that’s all.

We’re currently 2 games and a fair chunk of % ahead of fifth and the way the seasons shaking out, as long as we don’t finish 3rd, week 1 of finals is in Melbourne so I think we need to give serious thought to player management and number 1 on that list for me is Grundy.

If he plays like that at any point in September we’re in trouble and whenever he’s struggled this year he’s been under an injury cloud (Rd 1 his toe, late v Freo his ankle and v Gawn). Coming up against the Bulldogs and English is an opportunity to give him a solid 20 day break from senior footy and expose Lynch to senior footy if we choose that path.

In: Lynch/ Reid and Elliott (if fit)
Out: Grundy and Varcoe

The next on the management hit list for me are Stephenson, Pendles, Crisp and Sidebottom as the likes of Elliott, Shaz and Adams transition back into the 22.
It would be funny seeing a debutant monster English

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be funny seeing a debutant monster English

I’m not sure about the monstering, but in terms of introducing a rookie ruckman into senior footy you won’t get a better opportunity for the rest of 2019 unless both Soldo and Nankervis are unavailable for the return bout v Richmond.

Although I would take finishing 2nd and playing GWS at the MCG as opposed to having to play them on their own home ground any day. Even if it’s only minuscule I would take home ground advantage every day of the week.

Although I would take finishing 2nd and playing GWS at the MCG as opposed to having to play them on their own home ground any day. Even if it’s only minuscule I would take home ground advantage every day of the week.
Any advantage welcome, but nothing to fear.

We travel well.

Given we lost by a kick, we might have won the flag last year if we didn’t have to travel to Perth in the first week. Second spot can be massive if home state advantage helps reward you with a week off.

I’m not sure about the monstering, but in terms of introducing a rookie ruckman into senior footy you won’t get a better opportunity for the rest of 2019 unless both Soldo and Nankervis are unavailable for the return bout v Richmond.
The thing is the dogs have a really good midfield so we may need the extra advantage in the hitouts like last time their midfield was still able to compete for a large portion of the game, we could do it vs a team with a weaker midfield like Richmond/Hawks too imo

I wonder if our long line of good defenders, none of whom are playing poorly enough to be dropped, could put pressure on (I know Bucks likes him a lot but,) Phillips. I like him but he's definitely down on form and impact compared to last season, and I reckon that Langdon and Scharenberg if they're fit and able both fit themselves into the side and perhaps see Howe or Maynard (or Aish or Crisp or Greenwood - impressive group) move further afield to add some real run and bite. Phillips' aerial prowess is also down this season and every name I just mentioned besides Aish is superior in the air to Phillips. Just some food for thought.

I doubt Mayne would be under pressure - he similarly covers a lot of ground like Phillips but he's a lot more reliable with the footy and the space he finds is always so dependable.

My prediction for the bulldogs game

Grundy to bounce back by breaking the 80 hitouts in one game record.

The thing is the dogs have a really good midfield so we may need the extra advantage in the hitouts like last time their midfield was still able to compete for a large portion of the game, we could do it vs a team with a weaker midfield like Richmond/Hawks too imo

I’m with you most of the way, but I think there’s a key difference between this time and last, Sier. That’s not to fanboi him, but rather Bont bullied our smaller midfield (without Beams) that night and the extra big body around the ball should hold us in good stead.

It’s also worth considering that we’d have approached that contest with the mindset that we’d dominate the ruck duel. After last weeks touch up I think we’ll shake things up to ensure we’re more competitive regardless of ruck dominance or otherwise. Or at least I hope so!

I think your IQ isn't what it should be

I laughed.
Bucks has difficult decisions to make.
Varcoe would come out before either Brown or Aish. Both playing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back