Roast Fans getting Warnings and Booted for Being too Loud

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
According to The Age, the Carlton fan who claimed he was kicked out of the MCG because he called the umpire a 'bald-headed flog' was instead booted out because he had run screaming and waving his arms from two bays away and "spooked" the umpire.

Now I'll concede that this bloke has a frightening looking head, but geez, really?

They left out the best bit. When asked what noise the spook made, umpire Nicholls said "Boo!".

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
After the Jeremy Howe non-mark call a pies supporter ran down the steps to the fence and lost the plot at the umps, waving arms and yelling. A little while later security walked him out from his seat. This would have been in the bay next to me so M31. Not sure if there was more to it as to why he was asked to leave but in all seriousness much of this would be avoided if the AFL just get it right, umpiring standards have been well below acceptable levels all year with some shocking inconsistencies, not to mention the goal review system.
Yep, I saw this from my seat at m32 (I seat on the aisle between m32-m31).

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
It's harsh but fair! if a goal is scored under the new laws then you are required to canvass every person within 5 seats of you (360 degrees) to give them fair warning you are about to raise your voice. In the event of a wrongful decision perpetrated by one of the umpiring staff and you intend to boo you are required to hand out earplugs to everyone within 10 seats and your boo must not break the 50 decibell level. I hope we can all follow these new rules and enjoy footy the way it was meant to be, respectfully, and in silence

Last edited:
I'm confused. I'm an MCC member and watch my Pies games from the Members Stand (Balcony level). While the members have a reputation for being stuffy, aloof, removed from the game or whatever, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, and in contrast to what I'm hearing about elsewhere at the G, my mates and I this season have noticed an uptake in noisy, rowdy supporters in the members, and some ugly behaviour.

In the Richmond game, some of the Tigers fans near me completely lost it (in their despair at losing to us again). One rushed at the balcony edge to remonstrate with the umpires, was bumping into people and had to be restrained by his mates. Another on several occasions called the umpires f*** C***s, and no-one stopped him, although as he got worse his mate eventually dragged him out of there. Crowd self-regulating again.

Through all this there was no security to be seen. Had they been redeployed to deal with the rowdy hordes outside the members reserve? Or had all the trouble-makers been given guest passes to the reserve?:eek:

Its looking like if you want colour and excitement at the footy, and lots of yelling and booing, then come to the MCC Members.:oops:

Last edited:
After the Jeremy Howe non-mark call a pies supporter ran down the steps to the fence and lost the plot at the umps, waving arms and yelling. A little while later security walked him out from his seat. This would have been in the bay next to me so M31. Not sure if there was more to it as to why he was asked to leave but in all seriousness much of this would be avoided if the AFL just get it right, umpiring standards have been well below acceptable levels all year with some shocking inconsistencies, not to mention the goal review system.
Surely the umpire was paying the free due to the Toby Greene-rule people were crying out for, so it’s the rules, not the ump in this case?

JC83

Senior List
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely the umpire was paying the free due to the Toby Greene-rule people were crying out for, so it’s the rules, not the ump in this case?
Greene lifted the foot front on to opposition players, not the back, which was deemed dangerous hence the rule change. But yes, technically a rule however can be interpreted differently which is where the problems are.

The umpires will have to sit in chairs with a microphone in the middle of the ground.

“As a courtesy to players, please remain seated during points. Quiet please! Lendl to serve... thankyou.”

Last edited:

JC83

Senior List
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Screenshot_20190612-074713_Instagram.jpg
AFL 2019.
Shhh....

I think you should get kicked out of the ground for this. Running down the aisle to yell abuse at umpires or even players is a sign of someone completely out of control and unhinged.

IMO the authorities (whoever they are, the AFL, the ground management, the Police) are totally dealing with this issue the wrong way.

Obviously physical violence is unacceptable - there’d be universal agreement there.

Obviously clapping your team when they do something good is acceptable - there’d be universal agreement there.

But where is the line in between those two extremes? Which side of the line would you put ...

Booing?
“Green Maggots!”?
Cheering vociferously? 78dB? 82dB? 85dB? 88dB? 91dB?
Running down the isle to hurl abuse? 1 m/s? 2m/s? 3m/s?
Swearing? What words are in and out?
And?
And?
And?

You don’t deal with this issue by arbitrarily setting some subjective line and employing some poor sods to enforce it. That only pisses people off about ‘Political Correctness’, and it alienates others - in a way that is not constructive. The responses in this thread provide examples of that.

You deal with it by starting a societal conversation about it, raising awareness, and that then naturally leads people to think about their actions and generally moderate their behaviour. Sure, there’ll be the anti-social clowns, but they’ll get shamed and those anti-social clowns will then stop. It becomes self-regulating. And of course the authorities still need to enforce a line in extreme cases.

ps. It’s curious to see how the issue has been addressed on the AFL website ... crickets.

Last edited:
Would have enjoyed Security being more assertive on Sunday in the SCG Members

Exhibit A:
Wild applause for a clear behind, followed by slack-jawed stupor (unsanctioned)

Exhibit B:
Non-ironic reference to 'the Ref' (unsanctioned)

Exhibit C:
Home-brought baguette that looked like it was smeared with pate (unsanctioned)

It is freaking out of control up north, be thankful that Gil from Admin cares about your MCG experience

Was the wild vociferous support whenever the Swan’s #23 went near the footy sanctioned? AFL might need to take a look at that.

#riotsinsydney

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I'm confused. I'm an MCC member and watch my Pies games from the Members Stand (Balcony level). While the members have a reputation for being stuffy, aloof, removed from the game or whatever, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, and in contrast to what I'm hearing about elsewhere at the G, my mates and I this season have noticed an uptake in noisy, rowdy supporters in the members, and some ugly behaviour.

In the Richmond game, some of the Tigers fans near me completely lost it (in their despair at losing to us again). One rushed at the balcony edge to remonstrate with the umpires, was bumping into people and had to be restrained by his mates. Another on several occasions called the umpires f*** C***s, and no-one stopped him, although as he got worse his mate eventually dragged him out of there. Crowd self-regulating again.

Through all this there was no security to be seen. Had they been redeployed to deal with the rowdy hordes outside the members reserve? Or had all the trouble-makers been given guest passes to the reserve?:eek:

Its looking like if you want colour and excitement at the footy, and lots of yelling and booing, then come to the MCC Members.:oops:
That's a decent melt. I can only imagine what it was like, during the Preliminary Final.......

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
The Afl should concentrate their efforts on patrons wearing cheap **** like lynx Africa.. makes a lot more sense to me.
If you have a problem, you should just sue them re. It's not Lynx's fault you are irresistible to women re. F got to me humble man!

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
The Afl.. technically speaking.. should have evicted Mcglaughlin.. when he was hosting the big freeze.. he did say.. careful his thingimagies almost fell out.. along those lines.

Practice what you preach AFL.

Common sense is a thing of the past re.. everyone goes around talking s**t and throwing it in your face.

Man.. I'd love to go to Anfield.. so I can concentrate on the game. And I expect f silence..a crowd of 80000.. 79999 singing. Who gives a f re. I want em all out cause they're impinging on my civil liberties and basic human rights.

F off!

Wouldn’t folks be putting their membership on the line for that kind of behaviour? Surely that’s a tad more antisocial than not wearing a collared shirt?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was the wild vociferous support whenever the Swan’s #23 went near the footy sanctioned? AFL might need to take a look at that.

#riotsinsydney
From the commentary box?

Or was it from the crowd?

Not sure which was more vociferous....

I guess they're stuck between a rock and a hard place if they have received a complaint. And who knows if the reporting parties have put a bit of mayo on their description of the 'anti-social behaviour'. Without being a witness it sounds like some soft Melbourne supporters have just ruined a passionate Pie fan's day. In fact a person who seems to have been adding to the atmosphere and enjoyment of the game for the Collingwood supporters around him.

Spot on. If someone's complained and accused him of something the police have to question him, unless they've gone on to evict him or tell him to not yell, they've done the right thing. Depending on what the police said, the issue is probably with the complainants and not the police or the AFL.

I guess they're stuck between a rock and a hard place if they have received a complaint. And who knows if the reporting parties have put a bit of mayo on their description of the 'anti-social behaviour'. Without being a witness it sounds like some soft Melbourne supporters have just ruined a passionate Pie fan's day. In fact a person who seems to have been adding to the atmosphere and enjoyment of the game for the Collingwood supporters around him.
Maybe when someone puts in a complaint they should put their seat number so that the police can question them too and ask them to elaborate before questioning the complaint?

I have heard of people who text just for fun or a stir.

Wouldn’t folks be putting their membership on the line for that kind of behaviour? Surely that’s a tad more antisocial than not wearing a collared shirt?

They could be 76, or they are guests of members, of which there are many at most games. I think there might also be a rule about members being responsible for the behaviour of their guests.

At any rate, on this occasion, no official got involved.

If the AFL could issue a clear edict about what sort of behaviour is or isn't acceptable, then that'd be great. Thanks. It might be that each AFL crowd will now be expected to model itself on the uprightness of the SCG and its esteemed patrons, but some confirmation of this one way or the other would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Me, the only thing which made me feel threatened or which troubled my sensibilities at Monday's game was the small retinue of police and security walking up and down the aisle throughout the day. They didn't speak to anyone, threw no one out, but I suppose they just wanted to make everyone feel...assured?

I've never minded some theatricality from fans, and in fact I've always thought it was an integral part of the game. To me, the notion of waving your arms about histrionically and loudly pleading with footy gods to explain the reasoning behind an anomalous free kick or telling the umpire they they're optically challenged is no more or less unhinged than investing any part of your emotional wellbeing in the fortunes of 22 blokes in black and white jumpers. These things, to my mind, all fit together.

Along with Jeremy Howe's non-mark, I have to say that my Queen's Birthday entertainment extravaganza left me feeling vaguely 'out of place' and rather underwhelmed. Football has become a production unsure of its identity. I only give it three stars out of five.

Back