Review Pies defeat Dees (98-57)

Jul 25, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
What part of Adams - our best clearance mid - being out of the team don't you get. Not the entire answer but aside from his clearance numbers his absence affects team balance and especially midfield balance.

One player isn't going to make that big of a difference. If you have a ruckman with the talent of Grundy and guys like Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom around the ball, you shouldn't be getting beaten the way we do. In saying that, they might be happy to lose the clearances given that we are a strong post stoppage contested ball side. Lose it on the inside, but win it on the outside where there is less congestion and more ability to spread.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
One player isn't going to make that big of a difference. If you have a ruckman with the talent of Grundy and guys like Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom around the ball, you shouldn't be getting beaten the way we do. In saying that, they might be happy to lose the clearances given that we are a strong post stoppage contested ball side. Lose it on the inside, but win it on the outside where there is less congestion and more ability to spread.
Disagree when that player is the main in and under extractor - have him and Sier at the coal face frees others to play more outside where their true skill set lies.

Look at the difference in effectiveness of our forward line when even a 70% fit Cox is included.

YES one player can make the difference - if they are the lynch pin.

Has there been a statement yet from the AFL about whether the umpire got the ruling correct?
They’re saying the umpire got it right, but the rule will come under review at the end of the year - ie. ‘we ****ed up, but won’t admit it’. Expect the umpires to pay those marks for the rest of the year.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you put your thinking cap on you might jsut be able to figure out that those 2 statements are not mutually exclusive.

I think if you look at it you'll understand that it's the unscrupulous drug companies that are the ones profiteering, not the researchers.

They’re saying the umpire got it right, but the rule will come under review at the end of the year - ie. ‘we ****** up, but won’t admit it’. Expect the umpires to pay those marks for the rest of the year.

I hope Steve Hocking isn't going to get a performance bonus. This ruling is stupid. 6-6-6 has had no positive effect. The only rule change that could be said to have had a positive effect is kick ins, but I disagree with it being positive - gifting the opposition possession was enough of a disadvantage for missing a goal.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nope. Just nope.
With you on this one.

A mark. Simple.

The whole leg / foot and stops can be dangerous, sure, but the context is important.

Howe just launched using his leg because of positioning, no ill intent at all. No nastiness, no danger.

Hence should be a mark.

A foot stomp, a foot grip, a kicking foot, a thrusted foot etc they rightly can be penalised.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With you on this one.

A mark. Simple.

The whole leg / foot and stops can be dangerous, sure, but the context is important.

Howe just launched using his leg because of positioning, no ill intent at all. No nastiness, no danger.

Hence should be a mark.

A foot stomp, a foot grip, a kicking foot, a thrusted foot etc they rightly can be penalised.
Spot on.

Some of the umpiring was genuinely mind boggling.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spot on.

Some of the umpiring was genuinely mind boggling.
More than anything they really need to start thinking of applying a common sense approach.

The feel at the ground and by all the players was, great mark. That simple.

If it’s a dangerous nasty act, then sure penalise.

Common sense.

Buckley rightly pointed out in his press conference we look for the one thing the rule doesn’t cater for, the outlier.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
More than anything they really need to start thinking of applying a common sense approach.

Common sense.

Buckley rightly pointed out in his press conference we look for the one thing the rule doesn’t cater for, the outlier.
Yep. All i really want out of umpiring is two things - Common sense, and consistency.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Common sense.

McDonald was preparing to stand on the mark, and all the players were running forward. If the decision was correct according to the rules, then it needs changing.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep. All i really want out of umpiring is two things - Common sense, and consistency.
With the exception that Common Sense means different things to different people

For instance even among supporters on here, there is disagreement on free kicks, let alone the disagreement that exists between other club supporters, commentators, the umpires and the AFL

Consistency (even if many consider the decision incorrect) is far more important i.e. if it is going to be a wrong decision, then it is going to be wrong for both sides all day

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
They’re saying the umpire got it right, but the rule will come under review at the end of the year - ie. ‘we ****** up, but won’t admit it’. Expect the umpires to pay those marks for the rest of the year.
Bit like "Melbourne weren't tanking but we fined them anyway".

At times the AFL resembles an out of touch medieval circus locked in a castle feasting all day wondering what the hell all the noise outside is about

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the exception that Common Sense means different things to different people

For instance even among supporters on here, there is disagreement on free kicks, let alone the disagreement that exists between other club supporters, commentators, the umpires and the AFL

Consistency (even if many consider the decision incorrect) is far more important i.e. if it is going to be a wrong decision, then it is going to be wrong for both sides all day
Good point, hadn’t taken that into consideration.

I’d just like there to be no decisions that has the vast majority of people in shock hahah

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m 28! I also work full time
Swooper18, my view is that a lot of people (me included) appreciate the amount of time and affort you put into your weekly post match summaries (hence your 10 likes), however a lot more (me included) would actually read the statistics and detail if you just accepted and acted on the constructive criticisms and positive suggestions for improvement. No one's having a go at you, far from it.

Last edited:

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Still have work to do but we won the game by around the margin it really deserved considering we should have been miles in from early on.

Stephenson, Mihocek, WHE and JDG all good inside 50.

Treloar beast mode on ball.
Ran, carried and kicked longer- something he should do more of constantly rather than always look to be the inside man.

Sier- perfect introduction back to senior football.

Jeremy Howe best game for the season.
Finding touch again.

James Aish I thought was brilliant.
Overhead marking is superb and won key 1v1 duels.

Callum Brown doing some very nice things at right moments.

Sidebottom super.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

Luke Ball disproves your theory. Made all the difference.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still have work to do but we won the game by around the margin it really deserved considering we should have been miles in from early on.

Stephenson, Mihocek, WHE and JDG all good inside 50.

Treloar beast mode on ball.
Ran, carried and kicked longer- something he should do more of constantly rather than always look to be the inside man.

Sier- perfect introduction back to senior football.

Jeremy Howe best game for the season.
Finding touch again.

James Aish I thought was brilliant.
Overhead marking is superb and won key 1v1 duels.

Callum Brown doing some very nice things at right moments.

Sidebottom super.
Oohh.
9 out of 10 spot on.
The 1 not so much.
Good effort.

Jul 25, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
Luke Ball disproves your theory. Made all the difference.

And Jolly perhaps. Either way, after looking back through the stats, the only real significant clearance losses we've had were against Essendon and Melbourne on the weekend, so not as bad as I thought. We're a good post stoppage contested ball side though, so we can get away with it at times.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Jolly perhaps. Either way, after looking back through the stats, the only real significant clearance losses we've had were against Essendon and Melbourne on the weekend, so not as bad as I thought. We're a good post stoppage contested ball side though, so we can get away with it at times.

It is certainly something we need to improve on. Think Sier and Adams will help in this regard if they can get on park together. With the 666 rule you do not want to lose the centre clearances badly.

I think they'll pay the mark if the marker has both fee off the ground and is actually jumping for the ball. If one foot is planted and the other just kicks out to fend off a player that's when the Greene-rule comes in.

Back