Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the 'I boo'ed him because he is a flog' apologists. Not for one minute.

We have had countless disliked/dirty/annoying players in the game and NONE of them has been booed so mercilessly like Goodes. He was booed because he spoke up about aboriginal rights and also some unsavoury parts of our history. The fact that the booers won't admit there is a racial element makes it even sadder.

People generally don't like political issues being dragged into sport, they go there for entertainment and an escape from that sort of stuff.

If any other players tried to use the game as a political platform the way Goodes did then they probably wouldn't be well liked either and would also get booed.

I don't think anyone would have had a problem if Goodes went into politics after his football career finished and starting campaigning for indigenous issues.

People generally don't like political issues being dragged into sport, they go there for entertainment and an escape from that sort of stuff.

Some people might not like it, sure, but does that mean sport should never be political?

_103875106_gettyimages-514865956.jpg

I don't buy the 'I boo'ed him because he is a flog' apologists. Not for one minute.

We have had countless disliked/dirty/annoying players in the game and NONE of them has been booed so mercilessly like Goodes. He was booed because he spoke up about aboriginal rights and also some unsavoury parts of our history. The fact that the booers won't admit there is a racial element makes it even sadder.
The extent of the abuse Goodes received was unique in the history of the game and people trying to claim otherwise are obviously being disingenuous.

What I don't understand is the people happy to admit they piled on, but 'totally not in a racist way, we just don't like to be told what to do'. If you booed Goodes when it became clear it was affecting his mental health, when he was forced to take a week off, just to show the AFL what an 'independent thinker' you are, then you are simply a shi!tstain of a human being. I'm glad you think your pantomime behaviour at a game is more important than another human being. Seriously, you are just as shitty a person as the racist.

The extent of the abuse Goodes received was unique in the history of the game and people trying to claim otherwise are obviously being disingenuous.

What I don't understand is the people happy to admit they piled on, but 'totally not in a racist way, we just don't like to be told what to do'. If you booed Goodes when it became clear it was affecting his mental health, when he was forced to take a week off, just to show the AFL what an 'independent thinker' you are, then you are simply a shi!tstain of a human being. I'm glad you think your pantomime behaviour at a game is more important than another human being. Seriously, you are just as ****ty a person as the racist.

WTF are you talking about?? No one has received "abuse" like Goodes in the history of the game?? Are you ******* serious or do you just make up ludicrous s**t to make your argument feel stronger?

WTF are you talking about?? No one has received "abuse" like Goodes in the history of the game?? Are you ******* serious or do you just make up ludicrous **** to make your argument feel stronger?
No other player has been booed as long and consistently, throughout, games, teams and years, as Goodes. That's a fact. Pointing to a player that got booed by one opposition team for years is not the same as a player being booed by fans of every team in every game across a couple of years.

No other player has been booed as long and consistently, throughout, games, teams and years, as Goodes. That's a fact. Pointing to a player that got booed by one opposition team for years is not the same as a player being booed by fans of every team in every game across a couple of years.

How long was Goodes booed for? When did it start?

What I don't understand is the people happy to admit they piled on, but 'totally not in a racist way, we just don't like to be told what to do'. If you booed Goodes when it became clear it was affecting his mental health, when he was forced to take a week off, just to show the AFL what an 'independent thinker' you are, then you are simply a shi!tstain of a human being. I'm glad you think your pantomime behaviour at a game is more important than another human being. Seriously, you are just as ****ty a person as the racist.

I mentioned before. at the 'war dance' (r9 2015) incident. Goodes himself said the booing didn't bother him. I didnt mind the war dance incident myself, I thought good on him making it into a kind of theatre type thing Please dont be offended by my description, none intended)

When he had the week off, about the time made it clear it was affecting him (which is obvious) It was probably the week after a visit to subiaco to play the eagles, (Boo-biaco)and Sydney staged a support event during the next home game. there were 5 more rounds after that plus 2 finals (which were lost with No franklin)

So from Goodes own words, tha ti s the first time the 'mob' should have been thinking and reacting as you suggest.

I dont recall, how did the crowd treatment go after that. I never saw him play live after that, I don't know

I do recall the Game at the MCG Hawks v Swans prior to that (R8 2015). In actual fact the first quarter the crowd was very subdued.(sydney 5 goals to nil) I remember thinking our hawks fans had gone a bit soft since the threepeat. then there was an umpiring incident which fired everyone up, crowd became very vocal, including booing Goodes and Franklin at every posession, It was quite a rampant atmosphere after that. I think as hawks fans we had a lot more (stupid) reasons to be anti sydney than the AOY stuff or the collingwood incident (3 years before) It never occurred to me at the time

It did become the biggest social media event for a long time

At the time I assumed the booing goodes at every posession started there. I wasnt aware of it happening at any earlier games. was there? its now suggested booing on an obvious scale existed before that, but the Hawks R8 2015 was my recollection of when it first became a big media story

As I've said before I don't recall Goodes being booed by fans of every team in every game for a couple of years, that just seems like another example of people re-writing history to suit their argument.

I remember him being booed in some games over that period but not all games, he wasn't booed in GWS and Gold Coast home games as they have hardly any supporters and even if they did boo him no one would notice it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a platform for showing support for militant anti-integration subversives, no.

You don’t actually believe that do you? I’ve always enjoyed your contributions to the forum, but that is one of the most moronic and hyperbolic things I’ve seen here. Seriously, ‘militant anti-integration subversives’? You can’t accuse people of overreacting when you say this nonsense.

As I've said before I don't recall Goodes being booed by fans of every team in every game for a couple of years, that just seems like another example of people re-writing history to suit their argument.

I remember him being booed in some games over that period but not all games, he wasn't booed in GWS and Gold Coast home games as they have hardly any supporters and even if they did boo him no one would notice it.
It escalated on May 23, 2015 against Hawthorn in Melbourne. The Carlton game was the next week and it blew up after that.

He took leave after the West Coast game on the 26th July. Didn't return until the QF against Freo on September 12th where the boos kicked off and a spectator was ejected for racial abuse. Played the semi against North the next week where he was booed and then announce his retirement. It was a better part of six months but some crowds were obviously worse than others and he took leave for a few weeks.

You don’t actually believe that do you? I’ve always enjoyed your contributions to the forum, but that is one of the most moronic and hyperbolic things I’ve seen here. Seriously, ‘militant anti-integration subversives’? You can’t accuse people of overreacting when you say this nonsense.

What do you know about the Black Power movement?

Just because it's been turned into something warm and cuddly by the passage of time doesn't change what happened. The athletes were (rightly) ostracised for bringing disgrace upon the Olympics.

Norman didn't understand what he was getting into but that's another story.

Edit: None of that is intended to have anything to do with Goodes. It is purely a response to the image posted. I should've quoted it, apologies.

What do you know about the Black Power movement?

Just because it's been turned into something warm and cuddly by the passage of time doesn't change what happened. The athletes were (rightly) ostracised for bringing disgrace upon the Olympics.

Norman didn't understand what he was getting into but that's another story.

Edit: None of that is intended to have anything to do with Goodes. It is purely a response to the image posted. I should've quoted it, apologies.
Now I'm not saying that Goodes is in the league of Muhammad Ali but I find it so interesting how people view Ali in retrospect. Ali joined the Nation of Islam which was considered a hate group, preached racial segregation and declared often that the the white man was "the devil" and refused military service. Way, way more controversial than anything Goodes has ever said or done but Ali seems to be so respected and thought of so fondly. I know that Ali went through hell and back for his beliefs during his career but a lot of justifications for the animosity towards Goodes seem to pale in comparison.

Now I'm not saying that Goodes is in the league of Muhammad Ali but I find it so interesting how people view Ali in retrospect. Ali joined the Nation of Islam which was considered a hate group, preached racial segregation and declared often that the the white man was "the devil" and refused military service. Way, way more controversial than anything Goodes has ever said or done but Ali seems to be so respected and thought of so fondly. I know that Ali went through hell and back for his beliefs during his career but a lot of justifications for the animosity towards Goodes seem to pale in comparison.

A lot of things from that period are viewed fondly in hindsight, e.g. 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' which condemned many to a life of living torture.

There's no certainty that Ali's position in history won't be recast down the track.

Never personally booed Goodes. Don't hate Goodes. Hell, if Goodes is a bad person then there aren't enough good ones. Just disagree with his rhetoric.

Last edited:
A lot of things from that period are viewed fondly in hindsight, e.g. 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' which condemned many to a life of living torture.

Never personally booed Goodes. Don't hate Goodes. Hell, if Goodes is a bad person then there aren't enough good ones. Just disagree with his rhetoric.
And you have every right to hold those views. I just see the word "divisive" bounced around a lot in this thread, my point being that he's not really that controversial a character in comparison to many who haven't copped it like he did.

I find this part the most interesting from that article.

"Lewis, who missed 23 matches through suspension in his 215-game career, said he was disappointed the Eagles didn't pursue the racial issue with the AFL at the time because it was a "prickly" issue.
"After getting suspended and not being able to play because of retaliating and all that sort of stuff, you just sort of learn to put up with it," Lewis said.
"Black 'c' and all this sort of stuff. The crowd were quite vocal in that sort of area which was always a bit upsetting."

This is why Goodes made a stand. Others were perhaps too afraid & reading some of the sh*t on here, we now know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back