Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t particularly like either reaction to be really honest. Williams got a pass for a while because he’d just won a premiership. But over time his “prove the doubters wrong” attitude came to define him and the wheels gradually fell off.
Ken is becoming a similar beast. Every one of these outbursts appears more angry and less a celebration. He’s becoming as self absorbed as Williams.

Williams's tie thing was funny at the time. The outburst on the podium went too far.

I can cut coaches a bit of slack in the heat of the moment, there must be brutal pressure on them.

End of the day, it should be about results and Ken needs to start stringing a few wins together in our all too usual danger games. We lose too often to the same mobs the same way. West Coast was good, Hawthorn and the Showdown were bad.

Personally I think he's done his dash, unless we rattle off a few against the odds wins in the second part of this year. Then again, I'm either part of the know-nothing nuffie crowd or the silent majority. Take your pick ;)

If the rumours are true Hinkley’s goose is cooked if we don’t make finals this year. So here we are, in that familiar death spiral of “near enough is good enough”. Yay us!

Do you think the bar was set at making the 8? And was this always the expectation on him since the extension?

For me that's still not good enough. If we went out in typical Port fashion in a final it would still mean he has to go. Just curious to know what the club expects this year.

Last edited:
Do you think the bar was set at making the 8? And was this always the expectation on him since the extension?

For me that's still not good enough. If we went out in typical Port fashion in a final it would still mean he has to to. Just curious to know what the club expects this year.
I'll take finals or you're out over an unconditional extension.

I didn’t particularly like either reaction to be really honest. Williams got a pass for a while because he’d just won a premiership. But over time his “prove the doubters wrong” attitude came to define him and the wheels gradually fell off.
Ken is becoming a similar beast. Every one of these outbursts appears more angry and less a celebration. He’s becoming as self absorbed as Williams.
His first couple of years at the club, Hinkley's rhetoric was largely based around Port Adelaide - strong history and culture, representing that on field, making fans proud of the team.

The last couple of years the rhetoric has changed completely where you can tell there is a very real element of Hinkley doing this in spite of the club and its supporters, not for them.

His first couple of years at the club, Hinkley's rhetoric was largely based around Port Adelaide - strong history and culture, representing that on field, making fans proud of the team.

The last couple of years the rhetoric has changed completely where you can tell there is a very real element of Hinkley doing this in spite of the club and its supporters, not for them.

It's hard to talk up Port Adelaide style football and culture when you're partially responsible for killing it.

Most here were predicting us to finish in the bottom 6 in the pre season, i was always a little more optimistic that we should scrape into the 8. It's not really that much of a ridiculous call to say we are doing okay all things considered.

I still think we should've won at least 2 of the Richmond, Brisbane, Adelaide and Hawthorn games though and ultimately that will probably be the difference unless we start winning those 50/50 games starting this weekend.

Truth be told, the text message was absurd; accusing Hinkley of playing the kids over the more experienced guys. Hinkley was POLITE in his answer.
I disagree. Certainly, part of the text was a bit disjointed, but the context of the question was fair. In my opinion, Hinkley was far from polite. It came across as arrogant and dismissive. I will accept it my have touched a nerve on my part, because it's the feel I get from the entire club at the moment- dismissive of supporters. We give our opinions and are clearly told to stay in our lanes because we don't know any better.

In isolation, I'm prepared to accept I would be overreacting, but there's a body of evidence showing the Board and, therefore the club, are out of touch with the mood of the members. Either it's that, or they are fully aware but choose not to act.

I disagree. Certainly, part of the text was a bit disjointed, but the context of the question was fair. In my opinion, Hinkley was far from polite. It came across as arrogant and dismissive. I will accept it my have touched a nerve on my part, because it's the feel I get from the entire club at the moment- dismissive of supporters. We give our opinions and are clearly told to stay in our lanes because we don't know any better.

In isolation, I'm prepared to accept I would be overreacting, but there's a body of evidence showing the Board and, therefore the club, are out of touch with the mood of the members. Either it's that, or they are fully aware but choose not to act.
I concur with you, but the message had no sense whatsoever.

Yeah he did, but Williams had to have the last word in public and destroy any chance of ongoing support form the Scott business.

This isn't a schoolyard game, it's business and sometimes you swallow your pride for the greater good.

He didn't even need to swallow his pride. He could've had a dig in a far more jovial, less aggressive way than he did.

For me that's still not good enough. If we went out in typical Port fashion in a final it would still mean he has to go. Just curious to know what the club expects this year.

When you've qualified for the finals 3 of the last 11 years, this actually becomes a major goal and achievement in its own right. It's called a losing culture. The Glenelg mentality has taken over.

And for anyone who bothered to tune into AA yesterday afternoon, what a vapid, tedious and stale interview

The only time he actually showed any emotion, was to berate Port Supporters for texting in with criticisms with "I know more about Football than you"

We'll lose to Freo this weekend and the status quo will resume, again

I'm done
Are you for real?

Here's the interview for anyone that missed it. https://www.fiveaa.com.au/fiveaa/shows/rowey-and-bicks

I take my hat off to Ken for just dealing with those two clowns. It can't be easy.

Last edited:
After listening to that AA interview ken's pretty comfortable with where he's at, and would assume so is the club, he isn't going anywhere for a while yet, and if we keep winning by 70 points it doesn't bother me too much - however if September comes and we watch the crows play finals whilst the Ports boyz are overseas drinking cocktails then yeah, I'm not sure how we can keep being happy with mediocre.

But I still get the feeling he ain't going anywhere, we could lose all of our assistants and start again and he'd till be there.....

What I was told when the contract extension was signed in 2017, is the new contract contains a clause regarding finals appearance (not winning a final, just appearing in one). For him to still be coach in 2021, he is required to participate in at least one final in either in 2018, 2019 or 2020. Its basically a million dollar clause because that is approx the renumeration for season 2021. If he scrapes into to 8th place, thus year or next year, whatever the outcome, his contract can continue to end 2021 season unless Koch offers another contract. Whether Hinkley by then is at Port or elsewhere, he is going to financially do just fine. I would love his retirement nest egg for not much effort thank you.
The damage caused by Hinkley is left in his trail. If the damage is Hinkley, the danger is Koch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I was told when the contract extension was signed in 2017, is the new contract contains a clause regarding finals appearance (not winning a final, just appearing in one). For him to still be coach in 2021, he is required to participate in at least one final in either in 2018, 2019 or 2020. Its basically a million dollar clause because that is approx the renumeration for season 2021. If he scrapes into to 8th place, thus year or next year, whatever the outcome, his contract can continue to end 2021 season unless Koch offers another contract. Whether Hinkley by then is at Port or elsewhere, he is going to financially do just fine. I would love his retirement nest egg for not much effort thank you.
The damage caused by Hinkley is left in his trail. If the damage is Hinkley, the danger is Koch.
What a mediocre contract that must be. Why the * would we put a trigger in, rather than club's option. How utterly pathetic were our negotiating team.

They are out of touch because they choose to be. They choose to be because they think they know better then the supporters. They have become arrogant and complacent because the early success of restoring the clubs financials, most fans falling for the China hype, and 2013/14 being successful on field in comparison to the previous years the so called Primus era, has left people like Koch and Ken under the illusion that they are the Port Adelaide Football Club and that we the members and fans are their loyal unquestioning worshippers.

These people are not about the PAFC, but them selves.

Shame on the supporters who wanted us to lose just to make our club look more parched for change.
I don't know about you, but I think a real supporter would ALWAYS want their team to win.
Is winning covering the cracks? Look at royal commissions, they come because their is a perceived sense of achieving something while the underbelly is really a poor culture that isn’t being addressed because the perception.

After listening to that AA interview ken's pretty comfortable with where he's at, and would assume so is the club, he isn't going anywhere for a while yet, and if we keep winning by 70 points it doesn't bother me too much - however if September comes and we watch the crows play finals whilst the Ports boyz are overseas drinking cocktails then yeah, I'm not sure how we can keep being happy with mediocre.

But I still get the feeling he ain't going anywhere, we could lose all of our assistants and start again and he'd till be there.....

even with his interview with kane on tuesday, he is so relaxed, cracking jokes. There is no way he is going anywhere bar for an absolute disaster finish

he very tactically keeps mentioning the injuries every now and then and how proud he is of how they have gone, considering the injuries..

he is here to stay and he sounds so confident he will. Particularly with his number one fan in kane blowing his bags

What a mediocre contract that must be. Why the **** would we put a trigger in, rather than club's option. How utterly pathetic were our negotiating team.

Negotiating team ?
One would expect a team would have been involved but that doesn't mean there was.
Or by "team" do you mean Koch ?!!

1 final in three seasons is all that's required. That's so gross I don't know where to begin.

The two incidents aren't at all comparable.

Hinkley lost control of his emotions and made a bit of a dick of himself. But no harm done.

Choco chose the wrong time and tone to make a statement that ultimately probably cost the club millions of dollars.
I'd rather a coach that puts himself out there and deals with the criticism than one who tries to play nice and avoid all criticism or expectations.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They are out of touch because they choose to be. They choose to be because they think they know better then the supporters. They have become arrogant and complacent because the early success of restoring the clubs financials, most fans falling for the China hype, and 2013/14 being successful on field in comparison to the previous years the so called Primus era, has left people like Koch and Ken under the illusion that they are the Port Adelaide Football Club and that we the members and fans are their loyal unquestioning worshippers.

These people are not about the PAFC, but them selves.
Hey Ken and Koch. Remember how we sacked Russell Ebert...

And we like him much more than you.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many degrees of separation between the person who told you, and the board/CEO who would have approved this deal?

1 final in three seasons is all that's required. That's so gross I don't know where to begin.

Yep. And not even winning the final, just being there.
Not aiming too high or expecting too much is it.
It pretty much sums up the last few years too.
And explains the "win some lose some" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back