Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

I looked at ooc players & looked at possible targets & isolated a player from a small list.

Why is that a load of ****?

I could easily say that your opinion on my post lacks any thought & is more like a **** post because of its zero analysis of any substance with no contribution to justify your post....

At least have s crack at a decent reply mate. You are better than that.
I don't think that Steven Tyler was suggesting your post was a load of crap, more that the players mentioned constituted a load of crap (in a footy sense).

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think that Steven Tyler was suggesting your post was a load of crap, more that the players mentioned constituted a load of crap (in a footy sense).
It wasn’t a very flattering list. Merely looking to see who would fit the bill.
If ST wasn’t having a dig then I apologise

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why?

I looked at ooc players & looked at possible targets & isolated a player from a small list.

Why is that a load of ****?

I could easily say that your opinion on my post lacks any thought & is more like a **** post because of its zero analysis of any substance with no contribution to justify your post....

At least have s crack at a decent reply mate. You are better than that.
My post was in response to your list of potential trade targets

Of all the players you mentioned, only Moore from Richmond will be on an AFL list next year imho

Cam McCarthy is worse now than when he was at GWS and has zero improvement left

Buzza, Silvagni, are not going to improve us or add depth

Nathan Hrovat was delisted by the struggling Dogs, and cannot get a game at the struggling Roos

I’d take a 30 year old Poppy over him every day of the week

All these players would be considered “list cloggers” within 6 months of being on our list

Trading just for the sake of it is a waste of time

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My post was in response to your list of potential trade targets

Of all the players you mentioned, only Moore from Richmond will be on an AFL list next year imho

Cam McCarthy is worse now than when he was at GWS and has zero improvement left

Buzza, Silvagni, are not going to improve us or add depth

Nathan Hrovat was delisted by the struggling Dogs, and cannot get a game at the struggling Roos

I’d take a 30 year old Poppy over him every day of the week

All these players would be considered “list cloggers” within 6 months of being on our list

Trading just for the sake of it is a waste of time

None of them were trade targets but a response to a post about a disgruntled forward who may be delisted & who we would possibly pick up.
That’s all the list was that I could see from an ooc list that might fit the bill... even Casbolt now comes to mind.
I didn’t say that I liked the list I put out, only that Hrovat would seem the most likely from that bunch.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Rather than chase a half baked key forward, look for the next Hale/McEvoy and let monkey work his magic.

Find someone to do a half decent job replacing Sicily down back, then let him blossom into the next Jack reiwoldt up forward
In actual fact, the combination of Lewis O’Brien and brand is giving you the depth that half these names could bring, if not all of them.
Depth is not our issue

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we need to keep a number of picks inside the top 40 (or trade back into the top 40, if we trade picks to make moves at the trade table).

Clark pick 15
Kelly 24,
Stewart 40,
Ratugolea 43,
Constable 36
Parfitt 36

Our recruiters can find quality late in the draft, but if those same recruiters had a few chances between 20 and 40, like geelong, we would be a better placed list.

The quality between 20 and 40 is there.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Topiary is there any interest in Brayden Sier from Collingwood? Is out of contract at seasons end however is publicly stating he’d like to stay. He hasn't been offered a new deal yet so could definitely be gettable if offered a bigger role and had someone like Clarko say 'we want you at Hawthorn'. If you did a google search on Tom Mitchell when he was OOC you would probably read the same type of comments like he wants to stay and blah blah blah but just like Sier at the time was stuck behind a whole bunch of midfielders until we prised away from Sydney's grasp. Has anyone else got any info on Sier?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/out-of-contract-sier-wants-to-stay-at-pies-20190610-p51wbh.html

Last edited:

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Topiary is there any interest in Brayden Sier from Collingwood? Is out of contract at seasons end however is publicly stating he’d like to stay. He hasn't been offered a new deal yet so could definitely be gettable if offered a bigger role and had someone like Clarko say 'we want you at Hawthorn'. If you did a google search on Tom Mitchell when he was OOC you would probably read the same type of comments like he wants to stay and blah blah blah but just like Sier at the time was stuck behind a whole bunch of midfielders until we prised away from Sydney's grasp. Has anyone else got any info on Sier?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/out-of-contract-sier-wants-to-stay-at-pies-20190610-p51wbh.html

I have not heard any connect with him. The only thing I have heard is that a connection with his family May have been contacting melbourne Clubs. Not his official management group.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I have not heard any connect with him. The only thing I have heard is that a connection with his family May have been contacting melbourne Clubs. Not his official management group.

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to know what the Pies could realistically offer him dollar wise but the clear defined role might be the carrot that can pry him away. Coniglio or not that these are the type of players you'd think GW would be looking the get. Being 21 he's in a perfect age bracket so it might take a bigger offer than he's worth to snag him but I'd trust our recruiters to know where he's at and what he could be but he definitely looks a good one to keep an eye on.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to know what the Pies could realistically offer him dollar wise but the clear defined role might be the carrot that can pry him away. Coniglio or not that these are the type of players you'd think GW would be looking the get. Being 21 he's in a perfect age bracket so it might take a bigger offer than he's worth to snag him but I'd trust our recruiters to know where he's at and what he could be but he definitely looks a good one to keep an eye on.

I suggested this at the start of year as soon as Beams was signed with the pies, he has had limited oppertunity this year it reminds me of when the swans poached kennedy from us, a offer we couldn't match at the time when he was caught behind lewis,sewell,mitchell,hodge.
It's a calculated risk you would consider over a 2-3 yr contract a extra 200k a season he would be on a bargain basement contract.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suggested this at the start of year as soon as Beams was signed with the pies, he has had limited oppertunity this year it reminds me of when the swans poached kennedy from us, a offer we couldn't match at the time when he was caught behind lewis,sewell,mitchell,hodge.
It's a calculated risk you would consider over a 2-3 yr contract a extra 200k a season he would be on a bargain basement contract.

I have raided the Sier discussion quite a number of times... If there was a mid season trade period as is being mooted, then we surely would have gone hard at him... He is a Josh Kenndy absolute clone, I would go as far as offering him a grandfather deal, 600k over 4 seasons, by the end of that contact he'd be worth 1.2 a season, deadset star.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I have raided the Sier discussion quite a number of times... If there was a mid season trade period as is being mooted, then we surely would have gone hard at him... He is a Josh Kenndy absolute clone, I would go as far as offering him a grandfather deal, 600k over 4 seasons, by the end of that contact he'd be worth 1.2 a season, deadset star.

Wrighty and Co would most certainly be having these discussions all the time and it’s no coincidence whatsoever when you see Clarko watching all these VFL, WAFL, SANFL games. He’s scouting the hell out of guys like Sier, Fogherty etc. Probably gives a couple of them wink wink when he gets the opportunity too 👍🏽

Seriously though when Topiary was saying we’re looking to bring in 10-12 new players then these are the kind of guys I’d like to think he’s talking about. Yeah we’ll probably bring in a Jenkins type too but that 20-24 age bracket is a must.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Amazing to think Sier has been running around in the 2s all season and he'd likely be our 2nd best midfielder in 2019.

The alarming thing for us is that teams like Collingwood / Richmond have guys like Sier / Naish toiling away in the 2s. It just kind of shows the depth they have which we did too from 2008-2015. At various stages we offloaded guys like Kennedy, McGlynn, Suckling, Savage who became key components to other teams best 22.

So the 'pies would want the world for him in a trade?

*, they're annoying...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reckon this is a bit over the top. He's a good player, good size and would help us immensely but he's not a $1.2 a season prospect at any level or by any stretch of the imagination. He's a bloke who can play one role well, isn't overly versatile and averages 25 touches in the VFL. Zero evidence he offers anything more than Howe to be fair.

For perspective, Tom Mitchell was getting 60 touches, averaging 30+ and kicking multiple goals in the NEAFL.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

I really like Sier but that's basically saying you think he'll be a bonafide top 10 player in the competition, I'm not sure I'd go that far on his ceiling.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we finish lower on the ladder, and we have salary cap space, then we should have the whip hand at the trade table to extract players like Sier at the end of 2019.

Clubs like the Cats, Pies, Tigers, should have salary cap pressure.

Its pretty crazy looking at Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood, GWS lists. All have 30-35 genuine AFL level players on their lists this season. In specific Collingwood has about 35, plus some young guns who've yet to debut.

I think there's one thing to get straight and it's that no club on that list save for GWS actually have the depth that you're touting, the other teams just have really well drilled players and a steady system. Collingwood have a patchwork defense that falls to bits if they lose any players, Geelong haven't been troubled by injury all year and Richmond have a lot of half decent players that play with a truckload of confidence.

They have solid midfield depth, sure, but that's about it and it's about what we don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back