Unofficial Preview Changes v St. Kilda (after the bye)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree about Archie and Rayner going out. I would bring in Oscar and Walker or Lester, maybe both in which case Matho or Allison could drop out.

I would also like to see a few players moved position so they can make the most of their strengths:

1.Move Witho onto the wing where he can use his kicking skills inside 50 and maybe even snag a goal or two. He has been played in defence from his first game as an 18 year old and I think a more attacking role would be good for him and the team. He was drafted as an elite midfielder so maybe give him a licence to attack and see what he can do. Taking so much pressure in defence each week ,even taking the kickout duties is a lot to ask of a young player.

2. Move Nick Robbo onto the other wing where he can use his running power and aggression around the middle of the ground. He could also play a defensive role on the opposition wingman and get back to help the defence with his elite running, one of his major strengths.

3. Move Mitch Robbo into the forward line in Rayner's spot. Could apply much more forward pressure and grunt and he can kick goals too. Would give the forward line a much more aggressive feel to it and would take some of the pressure off Cameron who has to do the bulk of the forward pressure at the moment.

4. Move Clugga into a pure midfield position rather than starting on a wing. With the new rules giving more time for the midfielders in the centre square I think he would be able to really use his skills in there and take some of the heat off Neale and co. He is now into his third year and should be physically strong enough to compete in there. He could also go forward when Mitch Robbo and McCarthy have a run in the midfield and could be quite a weapon in front of goal.

Watching the team on Saturday I just got the feeling that giving these players a fresh "change up" and releasing the shackles on them might be really beneficial, much as Carlton seemed to do. Just an idea anyway!

Agree about sending Witherden to the wing / mid field to better utilize his kicking skills. Also Robertson on the wing or as an inside mid depending on the game. V Hawks would leave him on Breust

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree about sending Witherden to the wing / mid field to better utilize his kicking skills. Also Robertson on the wing or as an inside mid depending on the game. V Hawks would leave him on Breust
I agree with your agreeing. I think time to move Witho out of backline and rotate him.

With Rucks. Things have changed. If you look at cricket at one time wicket keeper just kept. Now they expected to be top line batsman as well.
Rucks changed as well, your supposed to ruck. As well as high disposals, be able to spoil in the backline and mark and goal forward line.
Gawn and Grundy type.
Martin does more around the ground and clearances although a lot of time banged on foot. Not the best kick in team. Big body for ruck work although not always taps to our team. Forward best not to look if he kicks for goal :)
Oscar good tap ruck can take a mark and actually kick a goal. Does not get the disposal count around the ground uses body better then other two in marking contests.
Archie great leap very mobile although offers the least around the ground which is weird. He seemed better a few years ago when Leppa tried him, even NEAFL level still looks more a ruck only. He gets a few goals although seems more old school ruck then the other 2.

If you go for one ruck you go Martin at the moment. Not sure how many years he has left.
So do we go for Oscar only he seemed to play well by himself in the NEAFL on the weekend 19 disposals up from his AFL 8 avg.

I think the board unanimously felt the end of each of '01, '02 and '03 was pretty positive.

Many years ago I was in a production of Guys and Dolls that was sold out and extended etc and was an awesome experience. One of my colleagues was telling me at the after party that he hadn't had an experience like this one since he had been in Jesus Christ Superstar (playing Judas) twenty years earlier. Now what he was trying to get across was how awesome my first time had been ... what I heard was that it would be twenty years between drinks!

Having to go back 13 years for the last time the board was unified on something (and you would think even LR44 would have been positive *that* night!) ... I mean not one poster has even piped up with something along the lines of he does xx and yy a lot better in NEAFL and just needs to get used to the pace or he needs a few games in the ones to really see what he has got etc and there are a couple who normally spruik him whenever they can.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I agree about Archie and Rayner going out. I would bring in Oscar and Walker or Lester, maybe both in which case Matho or Allison could drop out.

I would also like to see a few players moved position so they can make the most of their strengths:

1.Move Witho onto the wing where he can use his kicking skills inside 50 and maybe even snag a goal or two. He has been played in defence from his first game as an 18 year old and I think a more attacking role would be good for him and the team. He was drafted as an elite midfielder so maybe give him a licence to attack and see what he can do. Taking so much pressure in defence each week ,even taking the kickout duties is a lot to ask of a young player.

2. Move Nick Robbo onto the other wing where he can use his running power and aggression around the middle of the ground. He could also play a defensive role on the opposition wingman and get back to help the defence with his elite running, one of his major strengths.

3. Move Mitch Robbo into the forward line in Rayner's spot. Could apply much more forward pressure and grunt and he can kick goals too. Would give the forward line a much more aggressive feel to it and would take some of the pressure off Cameron who has to do the bulk of the forward pressure at the moment.

4. Move Clugga into a pure midfield position rather than starting on a wing. With the new rules giving more time for the midfielders in the centre square I think he would be able to really use his skills in there and take some of the heat off Neale and co. He is now into his third year and should be physically strong enough to compete in there. He could also go forward when Mitch Robbo and McCarthy have a run in the midfield and could be quite a weapon in front of goal.

Watching the team on Saturday I just got the feeling that giving these players a fresh "change up" and releasing the shackles on them might be really beneficial, much as Carlton seemed to do. Just an idea anyway!
In principle I agree with your suggestions although I don't think Witherden would have the endurance to be running up and down the wings, worth a try though, love to see him pinpointing some of his kicks into the forward 50, he may play more on instinct running forward from the wing rather than from D50.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

There's some good ideas there PrideofLions.

Mitch does go forward a bit but I think your idea of having him there in that permanent role has some merit because he wouldn't be as soft in the contest as we have been .Plus he has no issue leading and presenting , if that's what we want anyone to do . Definitely worth a try

JakePeralta

Senior List
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Totally agree about N Robbo, thought he had a solid game today.
Thing with

Any regular NEAFL watches think C Lyons is up to seniors, we got absolutely smashed around the ball, and someone who consistently gets the ball in NEAFL is LYONS, I know he has limitations, but could he be worth a crack.
Don't think C Lyons will ever get near senior footy, he just doesn't have any AFL-level traits. He doesn't really win much of his own footy and from what I've seen this year I'd have Joyce ahead of him as an inside mid, and I don't think he is even that close to being AFL-level.

As for T Berry, very premature calls for him to get a run. His speed is noticeable, but he looks like he struggles with the pace at NEAFL sometimes, which is a bit of a worry in a side as dominant as Brisbane has been this season. His pressure has been good, but he always seems rushed and his disposal is pretty poor.

Many years ago I was in a production of Guys and Dolls that was sold out and extended etc and was an awesome experience. One of my colleagues was telling me at the after party that he hadn't had an experience like this one since he had been in Jesus Christ Superstar (playing Judas) twenty years earlier. Now what he was trying to get across was how awesome my first time had been ... what I heard was that it would be twenty years between drinks!

Having to go back 13 years for the last time the board was unified on something (and you would think even LR44 would have been positive *that* night!) ... I mean not one poster has even piped up with something along the lines of he does xx and yy a lot better in NEAFL and just needs to get used to the pace or he needs a few games in the ones to really see what he has got etc and there are a couple who normally spruik him whenever they can.
Judas had all the best songs.

Judas had all the best songs.

Oh he was quite upfront about him having had the best part! Later on he knew he was dying and planned out his funeral - he was one of the original Dreamworld BarberShop Quartet members and arranged for the current ones to sing, we got to sing Sit Down your Rocking the Boat - it was a like an hour long revue from decades of involvement in a range of performing elements ... mind you not everyone gave the most polished performance of their careers but it was certainly the most emotional for many.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
In principle I agree with your suggestions although I don't think Witherden would have the endurance to be running up and down the wings, worth a try though, love to see him pinpointing some of his kicks into the forward 50, he may play more on instinct running forward from the wing rather than from D50.

No one knows if he has the endurance and that is the point (IMO)

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Watching the team on Saturday I just got the feeling that giving these players a fresh "change up" and releasing the shackles on them might be really beneficial, much as Carlton seemed to do. Just an
There's some good ideas there PrideofLions.

Mitch does go forward a bit but I think your idea of having him there in that permanent role has some merit because he wouldn't be as soft in the contest as we have been .Plus he has no issue leading and presenting , if that's what we want anyone to do . Definitely worth a try
I think that changing around the positions of those players could make the team more attacking, give us more forward pressure, and also make us a bit more unpredictable for the opposition. I think we have become very predictable and teams are really starting to take advantage of that.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What needs to happen and if by some miracle the MC will even lift an eyebrow towards that forward line...

Out: Smith, McCarthy, Rayner
In: OMac, Wooler, Keays

This. Rayner and McCarthy have both been subpar whereas Wooller and Keays have both been consistently killing it. It won't happen, but it should.

I think that changing around the positions of those players could make the team more attacking, give us more forward pressure, and also make us a bit more unpredictable for the opposition. I think we have become very predictable and teams are really starting to take advantage of that.

Sorry to snip but just on this part. I'm forming the belief that our strategy is very deliberate in order to get us used to playing a slower more tempo game style and that we haven't gotten to the stage in our planning where the coaching staff want us to be switching between the slower build up and the quick ball movement quite yet. It appears like we had some specific game plan goals coming into the year on what we wanted to train the guys to execute. It will be interesting to see if in the second half of the year whether we move to more of a balance between the two and work on when to switch from one tempo to another.

The weekend was a perfect example where whenever we moved the ball quickly we exposed their defensive structures, yet we continued to slow down the movement of the ball almost to the point over overemphasis. I struggle to believe that it wasn't deliberate and that it was a development thing. I really hope we come out after the buy and start to utilise more parts of our game plan from last year at different stages, because I think we have the capacity to go to another level quickly if we are able to strike the balance right.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mitch Robbo has generally gone missing when he plays up forward from memory, I thought he played 75% forward for about 8 games early last year, probably his worst 8 games for the club. We need him to prowl the ground and impact contests IMO.

Don't mind the idea of Witho being moved up the ground a bit, leg speed and the ability to apply pressure is an issue though. also, people underestimate how much of a leadership role he plays down back for a 3rd year player. He is well and truly Hodges apprentice in that role, just watch how much directing and talking to Hodge he does back there next time you are at a game.

I think leave Nick Robbo where he is. He is doing a good job shutting down mid sized forwards which we need. Also, I think the link up role across half back works well for his skill set, allows a bit of time to dispose of the ball etc. Don't think contested ball or crashing in to win his own ball is a strong point either, which would be needed to have him playing as a midfielder. Happy to keep developing him in the roll he is playing in.

I feel we have lacked leadership the last 2 weeks, I think having Smith, Lewy and Robbo (not match hardened yet), Allison, Answerth all in the one team hurt. I feel we tipped way to far into the inexperienced or not match hardened zone and really lacked backbone at times. I think we need a couple more older cool heads in there, Lester is good for this and walker.

zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
I really find it entertaining how folks on this board make outrageous claims, with complete confidence that guys like Wooler, C.Lyons, T.Berry etc will just rock up and automatically provide a better option than guys like Rayner, Mcarthy etc despite the fact that they are playing solid football in a league that is so far off the standard of AFL football.

Legitimately laughable to just expect an untried player to come in and do what they do in the ressies. The NEAFL is atrocious, hence why you e got guys like Keays, Robertson, Bastinac and Christensen dominating but providing absolutely nothing at AFL level

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really find it entertaining how folks on this board make outrageous claims, with complete confidence that guys like Wooler, C.Lyons, T.Berry etc will just rock up and automatically provide a better option than guys like Rayner, Mcarthy etc despite the fact that they are playing solid football in a league that is so far off the standard of AFL football.

Legitimately laughable to just expect an untried player to come in and do what they do in the ressies. The NEAFL is atrocious, hence why you e got guys like Keays, Robertson, Bastinac and Christensen dominating but providing absolutely nothing at AFL level

Yeah this board has a weird way of making the narrative around players in the NEAFL slowly evolve into them all of sudden being this amazing option, it usually revolves around wanting to push a player out of out of the side. Archie was the best example. All of sudden there were consistent calls to drop Stef for Archie was some amazing options and Stef was holding him back. Truly baffling. Stef isn't having a career year but he is still playing decent footy and whilst we all love archie the person, he is was never going to improve our team by any measure at this stage of his development.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

All well and good, but could they really do any worse than some guys that have been running around doing virtually nothing in the seniors anyway.

You talk about it not being hard that Bastinac, Robertston, Christensen, Lester carve it up in the NEAFL; well if that’s the case, let’s see if some of these guys in the AFL doing nothing would equally carve it up. I don’t think it would necessarily be the case.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don't think anyone is under any illusions about the standard of the NEAFL . But the lifeblood of footy clubs is guys getting a chance to see what they've got replacing guys who aren't performing . The guys we've brought in from the NEAFL haven't set the world on fire . The best of them has been Cutler and he has conceivably played his last game for us. Answerth shows promise and is potentially adapting to the pace of the game. Taylor played one game out of his skin, but I guess he's a player we know who's previously had lots of senior experience.

But you can't keep playing guys who just don't contribute enough.I wouldn't drop McCarthy . Overall he's been good and is hard at it.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Turned the computer on, looking forward to some selection night melt downs ( I have a conspiracy theory about selections/Fages/Bigfooty Brisbane posters ). Went to the AFL site and suddenly remembered we have the bye, which is also the reason the match preview is not up.

Damm the AFL

What a boring Thursday night!

Turned the computer on, looking forward to some selection night melt downs ( I have a conspiracy theory about selections/Fages/Bigfooty Brisbane posters ). Went to the AFL site and suddenly remembered we have the bye, which is also the reason the match preview is not up.

Damm the AFL

What a boring Thursday night!
I can't believe we didn't get our team in for this week!!!!

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Answerth stepped up although your right its a big step up from playing against guys who have a day job to AFL.
I just think it worth trying a few guys.. C Lyons been on the list for a while now. T Berry, Joyce only young a few years ago they played all the games so it shows our depth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back