Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every modern day coach is a man manager, in their own way. On that basis you should also look at Gary Ayres. Brilliant record at Port with no money or support that VFL clubs get from their AFL team, and for some reason his name never gets mentioned.

Ayres had his go in the system following Malcolm Blight resignations at the Cats and Crows. Underwhelming record but 2 flags at Port probably sees him as one of the best at VFL level. Wouldnt get a call I'd expect.

I'd like an almost total overhaul of our coaching department. Roos can do an independent review for the board. Some of his advice would be good.

Time for a change at the Northern Blues. An Andy Collins type would be good. We need a great developer

I'm not fussed who is the next coach. I just think we need an experienced strong coach to go to the next level.

No to Lyons. No to Roos. Just no no no.

Roos has been out of the game now for 2 years. His record at Melbourne isn't that great - won a flag in 2005. No thanks. Are we also looking at the flog that won a flag for Port?

Lyons failed to get a great StKilda side over the line three times. Left StKilda in a shambles. Freo also failed on the big stage. Has coached for over a decade with no flag - no thanks.

Clarkson is the big money offer. If he takes it party time.

If he doesn't run a thorough process and pick a great new coach and surround him with good people.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I’m very curious on what the rest of the season will bring, it’s the 1st time that a caretaker coach will not have to “tank” or “play the kids” or anything along those lines to make sure we get pick 1 or a low pick as we actually don’t own our 1st pick, Teague will have the ability to go hell for leather and get as many wins as possible.

If he gets another 4-6 wins and has us playing great football in the other games then he’s our man!

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I’m very curious on what the rest of the season will bring, it’s the 1st time that a caretaker coach will not have to “tank” or “play the kids” or anything along those lines to make sure we get pick 1 or a low pick as we actually don’t own our 1st pick, Teague will have the ability to go hell for leather and get as many wins as possible.

If he gets another 4-6 wins and has us playing great football in the other games then he’s our man!
I stated in an earlier post that historically, players who had that mongrel in them seem to be the more successful coaches in recent times....Hardwick, Clarkson, Lyon, Scott...even Sheedy, Malthouse, Matthews...the list goes on.

So as for David Teague as a potential head coach....he had bigger balls than all of them combined. He was absolutely fearless to the point of kamikazi on his attack on the ball, similar to Hickmott. In 2004, he won the Robert Rose Award as the most courageous player in the league, as voted by the players, and won our B&F the same year.

Two things.

1. We need to improve who we have at the club in terms of how impressive they are to potential recruits. We can't have gun players walkin in and meeting the coaches and not knowing who they are. You walk into Geeling and meet Chris Scott, Nigel Lappin, Matthew Scarlett, Shane O'Bree, Matthew Knights and Corey Enright; or Hawthorn and Meet Alastair Clarkson, Adem Yze, Scott Burns, Darren Glass, Chris Newman, Sam Mitchell; or Collingwood Nathan Buckley, Brenton Sanderson, Robert Harvey, Gary Hocking, Taryn Lockyer, Matthew Boyd, Anthony Rocca; or Richmond Damien Hardwick, Blake Caracella, Justin Leppitsch... How many good games of footy, Premierships and All-Australians are there in that group, heaps.

Then there is us... David Teague, John Barker, Cameron Bruce, Josh Fraser, Brent Stanton, Sav Rocca, Hamish McIntosh.

Our club desperately lacks profile, it won't impress or blow players away and I know great players don't always make great coaches but when it comes to recruiting if there are people there who were star players and players these guys might have looked up to in their younger days then it's going to impress them.

We aren't blowing anyone away and if we are to recruit good players and look better than the rest we need to develop some profile.

I bet if we poached Alastair Clarkson, used that to get Luke Hodge over, got Brad Scott in doing a role, get Jarrad McVeigh, get guys in who have played a heap of footy, won flags been All-Australians and I bet when the good players go on the move they would come to us.

We can't sell ourselves with a coaching team that has no profile.

Put together a staff that will blow players away. Become impressive. There is no wondering why the gun players go to the teams with the facilities and the star studded coaching lineup.

2. We can't pay huge dollars for a coach. It's not about the head coach anymore, it's about having a really good team of people who are both impressive and big name people but also good at what they do. This goes a bit against the first point and a bit for it as well. We need the gun people but we can't overpay for individuals.

Roos has been out of the game for a long time now and doesn't have the drive to do the job so no there. Ross Lyon I never rated very highly so not that keen. I would throw a fair bit at getting Clarkson because he has that profile and that's what we need right now as we are going out to recruit mature stars. He would also be a likely person to help us attract high profile assistants like Luke Hodge. As long as he doesn't blow our budget and I get the feeling that if he came to us, he wouldn't want to blow our budget as he would know what it takes to succeed and that would mean having a good group around him.

We probably need to get our senior coach sorted before we recruit our assistants. I still think Brad Scott as an assistant would be a big step in the right direction, he has profile. People know who he is as both a player and coach.

It's a tough call, we really really need to get things sorted quickly and get a team in who can coach and can build our profile.

Get a coach who was a big name player or coach. Get assistants who were big name players. Luke Hodge, Jarrad McVeigh, Chris Scott, Jordan Lewis, Dale Morris, Heath Grundy etc. Maybe poach a few from other clubs and I bet we would start to attract the better players.

We have the money, we have the facilities, we just lack the success and the impressive people.

It was probably something Bolton had against him, he probably lacked that profile and those around him also lacked that. Bolton was probably more suitable going to a club with a mature list that was already up there like Chris Scott did with Geelong.

Looking at how clubs like Collingwood have attracted mature age guns when they weren't up the top of the ladder and everyone was bagging them and their coach you have to wonder how they did it. They must know how to impress and court players that's for sure.

I'd like an almost total overhaul of our coaching department. Roos can do an independent review for the board. Some of his advice would be good.

Time for a change at the Northern Blues. An Andy Collins type would be good. We need a great developer

I'm not fussed who is the next coach. I just think we need an experienced strong coach to go to the next level.

Pay Roos a ridiculous amount so he can tell us what we probably already know. There is a huge myth about him. He picked up a crap team, had all of the resources at his disposal and still did not get them into the finals, before he took his money and ran. He finished with a 31.8% coaching record.

Yes, I prefer we go after a proven tactical coach. Ross Lyon is my preference. Season ending injuries to now 3 of his key talls may sway him to come across.

Lyon just has too much Roos about him. He is defence first second and last. If the players thought BB smothered them, then I could not see them surviving under Lyon.

Pay Roos a ridiculous amount so he can tell us what we probably already know. There is a huge myth about him. He picked up a crap team, had all of the resources at his disposal and still did not get them into the finals, before he took his money and ran. He finished with a 31.8% coaching record.
Yep. Money spent that may be better forked out for ongoing improvements like senior assistants, or strengthening gurus, or medical facilities. Rather than Roos who commits for short stints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon just has too much Roos about him. He is defence first second and last. If the players thought BB smothered them, then I could not see them surviving under Lyon.

His Fremantle and St Kilda grand final teams ended up with points for around the middle of the pack, with really low elite points against.

One could argue he created a game plan which suited the lists he had at his disposal. Not much firepower in that Fremantle team, an ageing Pavlich and Walters, with not much else.

I just think he's a smart coach who gets the most out of his lists. And now he's demonstrating the ability to turn it around with a fairly young Fremantle team.

Yes

Why can’t Brad Scott just call his brother and learn all his secrets.

Chris Scott appears to be a very good coach however I also think a lot of credit needs to go to his assistants. Feeling always have excellent assistant coaches.

Why can’t Brad Scott just call his brother and learn all his secrets.

Chris Scott appears to be a very good coach however I also think a lot of credit needs to go to his assistants. Feeling always have excellent assistant coaches.

Brad to Chris.... Hey Chris what are your coaching secrets?? Chris... Ummmmm inherit a beast mode list at the right age and sit back eating sandwiches. Also have some of the best recruiting blokes in the business around you. Yeah....ah thanks Chris

Yep, left no legacy at the Swans (built the bloods culture on his watch) and Melbourne went to a prelim last year.(he took over in 2013...5 years and they are in a prelim)..can understand why people don't like him (personality) but he has been to Everest ..when not many have.

Last edited:
[] Jun 4
More

I was thinking Roos would be a good mentor or director of coaching if an untried coach is selected by the Panel. But I have second thoughts now after reading Grant Thomas's criticism of him, especially after he played with him at Fitzroy for a period of time.

Last edited:
Carlton should follow Brisbane and employ a man manager like Fagan. David Noble should be considered as he coached Glenelg, assistant at Adelaide and successful football operations manager at Adelaide and Brisbane.
To quote Judd, we don't want anyone with training wheels on.

Every modern day coach is a man manager, in their own way. On that basis you should also look at Gary Ayres. Brilliant record at Port with no money or support that VFL clubs get from their AFL team, and for some reason his name never gets mentioned.
He'd be good but how would he go working with your Teagues, your Amos's, your Stantons, your McIntosh's, your Liddles, your Lloyds and your Judd's?

Two things.

1. We need to improve who we have at the club in terms of how impressive they are to potential recruits. We can't have gun players walkin in and meeting the coaches and not knowing who they are. You walk into Geeling and meet Chris Scott, Nigel Lappin, Matthew Scarlett, Shane O'Bree, Matthew Knights and Corey Enright; or Hawthorn and Meet Alastair Clarkson, Adem Yze, Scott Burns, Darren Glass, Chris Newman, Sam Mitchell; or Collingwood Nathan Buckley, Brenton Sanderson, Robert Harvey, Gary Hocking, Taryn Lockyer, Matthew Boyd, Anthony Rocca; or Richmond Damien Hardwick, Blake Caracella, Justin Leppitsch... How many good games of footy, Premierships and All-Australians are there in that group, heaps.

Then there is us... David Teague, John Barker, Cameron Bruce, Josh Fraser, Brent Stanton, Sav Rocca, Hamish McIntosh.

Our club desperately lacks profile, it won't impress or blow players away and I know great players don't always make great coaches but when it comes to recruiting if there are people there who were star players and players these guys might have looked up to in their younger days then it's going to impress them.

We aren't blowing anyone away and if we are to recruit good players and look better than the rest we need to develop some profile.

I bet if we poached Alastair Clarkson, used that to get Luke Hodge over, got Brad Scott in doing a role, get Jarrad McVeigh, get guys in who have played a heap of footy, won flags been All-Australians and I bet when the good players go on the move they would come to us.

We can't sell ourselves with a coaching team that has no profile.

Put together a staff that will blow players away. Become impressive. There is no wondering why the gun players go to the teams with the facilities and the star studded coaching lineup.

2. We can't pay huge dollars for a coach. It's not about the head coach anymore, it's about having a really good team of people who are both impressive and big name people but also good at what they do. This goes a bit against the first point and a bit for it as well. We need the gun people but we can't overpay for individuals.

This is so spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back