Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

or Hazlewood (if fit)
That still leaves an unbalanced squad. We have too many bowlers. Agar you can at least bat at 7 if needed.

Not sure they'll make the call straight away, they may want to give Stoinis a couple more days and let Marsh settle into the country before making the switch. Once Stoinis is replaced, they can't bring him back
Likely to be rained out tomorrow anyway so they have a few days

I would have preferred another batting allrounderin the squad (say a M.Marsh) as I thought we were already one too many quicks in the squad.

End of the day sure K.Richardson is spare parts and will be a bench player and won't play a major part anyways.

Should have made this call earlier and been in the squad anyways as we were 1 quick too heavy.
K.Richardson ain't getting a game if Starc and Cummins are givens.

The team v Pakistan tonight may be unbalanced if they don't make the call on M.Marsh.
Either NCN bats @ 7 with another bowler coming in, or S.Marsh comes in , leaving Maxwell to bowl 10 overs (smith/finch).

Depending on the weather, I expect Shaun Marsh to come in and bat at no.5. Zampa will be replaced by Lyon and Behrendorff will take the spot of Coulter-Nile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Save for a brief purple patch around his 146* Stoinis has never been as good as Marsh at ODI level.

The only issue with Marsh coming in other than lack of form in this format is that Stoinis has been used as a death bowler which isn't usually Marsh's go. The selectors will have to rejig the bowling plans and we'll probably see NCN + Starc/Cummins bowling at the death with Marsh and Zampa probably bowling 10 each between the 15th and 45th overs.

Save for a brief purple patch around his 146* Stoinis has never been as good as Marsh at ODI level.

The only issue with Marsh coming in other than lack of form in this format is that Stoinis has been used as a death bowler which isn't usually Marsh's go. The selectors will have to rejig the bowling plans and we'll probably see NCN + Starc/Cummins bowling at the death with Marsh and Zampa probably bowling 10 each between the 15th and 45th overs.

Yep, the death bowling is the big issue. But then it's going to be regardless of who you pick.

Yep, the death bowling is the big issue. But then it's going to be regardless of who you pick.

We don't like to pick role playing bowlers any more. We had Bracken at the 2007 WC and Tye (had a horrible IPL this year) for a few games not long ago but we always revert back to 3 genuine quicks, 1 spinner and a pace bowling all rounder. Starc, Coulter-Nile and Cummins all get sucked into bowling too many short and length balls in the last 10. Maybe Marsh will end up bowling at the death. His peak is about 140 and he usually bowls 130s but doesn't tend to bowl 120s cutters too often.

We don't like to pick role playing bowlers any more. We had Bracken at the 2007 WC and Tye (had a horrible IPL this year) for a few games not long ago but we always revert back to 3 genuine quicks, 1 spinner and a pace bowling all rounder. Starc, Coulter-Nile and Cummins all get sucked into bowling too many short and length balls in the last 10. Maybe Marsh will end up bowling at the death. His peak is about 140 and he usually bowls 130s but doesn't tend to bowl 120s cutters too often.

On a really flat wicket, he can't be used at the death unless he's become a different bowler to the one I've seen in his history of playing state and international cricket.

I still think James Faulkner would of been the best all rounder. Good bowler with a lot of variety and can hot quick runs when required. Not the strongest batter but a very good bowling option, and would expect him to be good in English conditions.

From my point of view not worried about the recent "controversy around him, but possibly that and his drink driving issues from beforehand have let to his omission.

I think Usman is being set up to fail.

He is a 1-3 Batsman or bust. No floating down the order, no not coming in at 3 because of left/right. Pick him at 3 and play him at 3 or leave him out.

He should have come in at 3 last night and consolidated with Warner. Smith then comes in at 4 and then Maxwell could of used his firepower to greater effect.

Last edited:
I still think James Faulkner would of been the best all rounder. Good bowler with a lot of variety and can hot quick runs when required. Not the strongest batter but a very good bowling option, and would expect him to be good in English conditions.

From my point of view not worried about the recent "controversy around him, but possibly that and his drink driving issues from beforehand have let to his omission.
His performances fell off a cliff in his last year or so of international cricket and hasn't exactly lit it up since. He couldn't bat in the top 6 and his bowling isn't good enough anymore to be a 3rd seamer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back