Preview Changes: R13 2019 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I was looking at the ladder and predicted we could possibly scrape into fourth. Then, I had the exact same thought flash through my head. Oh, if we were to fluke 4th spot, you could bet your house on the final being played at ****hole stadium.

Playing at the s**t hole stadium would be more forgiving and acceptable if we actually had played the 2017 GF at AO. Similarly Eagles at Optus instead of at the G, last year.

Until then, we should not be further disadvantaged any further.

My thinking was Davis for Greenwood as we need a Lynch replacement... but if the wet conditions don't suit Davis, could be a better idea to play Stengle. Anyone see Davis play in the wet?

I can’t recall seeing Davis play in the wet & I don’t think anyone else has answered this.
It’s a good question. Davis is building in the Lynch role but his kicking at times lets him down. Very talented just uncertain if he’s better suited to the dry weather.
It’s unfortunate Greenwood most likely will be rested.

My thing with Geelong is, if they want "home" finals, put them on the non-Victorian circuit with the rest of us.

They leave their state 6 times. They play on the MCG 5 times (GF experience). They get 9 games with a true home advantage at GMHBA.

Perth only once and they are not sent to any "sold" games in the NT/Tasmania/China or wherever.

They truly have the greatest advantage of any club in the competition and for that reason I have no sympathy for them come September.

What is really unfair is that if Geelong are top and they draw a fourth-place Collingwood, for doing nothing other than being an MCG tenant, Collingwood gets a neutral (actually home) final, however, if say GWS finish fourth, they'll be sent down to Geelong for a very much away final.

Take Geelong out of that, why should Collingwood(Melbourne/Hawks etc) get an advantage over a GWS (and potentially us).

Either play them all at Geelong or none of them, but make it known well in advance.

Davis is building in the Lynch role but his kicking at times lets him down. Very talented just uncertain if he’s better suited to the dry weather.
It’s unfortunate Greenwood most likely will be rested.

Despite the article re Lynch mentoring Davis, Ben Davis has not been playing the Lynch role. For at least the last three games Davis has spent 90 - 100% of ToG on the wing. Earlier in the season he was playing as a marking forward but subsequently moved to a high half forward when we had a boat load of tall forwards in the Twos and then to the wing. I am not suggesting that he can’t play that role but he hasn’t played it very much.

The closest like-for-like in the Twos is McAdam and I would not entirely dismiss the possibility that he is a chance. I have been a big fan of Ben Davis since I first saw him at training, prior to his first game in Crows colours. He played very well on the wing against Westies and it would not be ridiculous to swap him for the SEED ( but we all know Bran Nue Mackae will be selected).

Despite the article re Lynch mentoring Davis, Ben Davis has not been playing the Lynch role. For at least the last three games Davis has spent 90 - 100% of ToG on the wing. Earlier in the season he was playing as a marking forward but subsequently moved to a high half forward when we had a boat load of tall forwards in the Twos and then to the wing. I am not suggesting that he can’t play that role but he hasn’t played it very much.

The closest like-for-like in the Twos is McAdam and I would not entirely dismiss the possibility that he is a chance. I have been a big fan of Ben Davis since I first saw him at training, prior to his first game in Crows colours. He played very well on the wing against Westies and it would not be ridiculous to swap him for the SEED ( but we all know Bran Nue Mackae will be selected).
https://m.afc.com.au/news/2019-05-23/davis-following-in-lynchs-footsteps

In this article he mentions playing on the wing, and I’ve certainly observed that too.

However he also confirms what I’ve seen and that’s that he plays a very much “between the arcs” game once the ball is in play.

Noting the article mentions he specifically works with Lynch going through vision to learn running patterns etc, I think it’s fair to conclude he is being groomed in that role.

With all due respect, and I mean that as I know you are an avid watcher of the 2’s, I really can’t think of many that would be a less like/like than McAdam. I say that in terms of fitness, style and current position played. No knock on him but he’s no Lynch replacement IMHO.

For mine it’s either Davis or we go without and absorb the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However Geelong will earn that right.

As they did in 2017..........

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thats a sliding door moment in our Clubs history.

Cats would have rolled the Tigers at home and we would have ended up playing them in a prelim at AO, then the Cats at the G in the grand final.

Either play them all at Geelong or none of them, but make it known well in advance.
]

The AFL prefer to decide later in the year which Victoria fairy-tale they would like to see win the Grand Final.

I think its Collingwood's turn this year, because you know they lost last year. Its a beautiful redemption story.

Thats a sliding door moment in our Clubs history.

Cats would have rolled the Tigers at home and we would have ended up playing them in a prelim at AO, then the Cats at the G in the grand final.
And made Dangerfield a Premiership player......

GWS probably would have beaten Geelong in a Prelim.

And we beat them in the GF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was looking at the ladder and predicted we could possibly scrape into fourth. Then, I had the exact same thought flash through my head. Oh, if we were to fluke 4th spot, you could bet your house on the final being played at ****hole stadium.

The AFL have said before that we'll never be scheduled anywhere but the MCG. We're too big and draw in about 15,000-20,000 supporters over for our finals. GMBA (or whatever it's called) only holds 36,000. If we're too big for Marvel then we're too big to play in Geelong.

I'm pretty sure the AFL have said that only GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle are the only teams that will be considered to play home finals in Geelong.

The AFL have said before that we'll never be scheduled anywhere but the MCG. We're too big and draw in about 15,000-20,000 supporters over for our finals. GMBA (or whatever it's called) only holds 36,000. If we're too big for Marvel then we're too big to play in Geelong.

I'm pretty sure the AFL have said that only GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle are the only teams that will be considered to play home finals in Geelong.
The AFL also shifts the goal posts as often as it pleases. Didn’t they actually change draft/trading rules to accommodate a Geelong leg up?

Great to know though! I’m always one of the 20000.

With all these outs. I really hope the crows absolutely crush the tigers.

We need to have this ruthlessness built into our culture / dna.
going to be a wet night apparently..this will make it a closer game than if it was dry. I just hope we are on and do really put them to the sword as not only % but the top 4 beckons

Ha ha, agree we will...wait, we should, clobber them, but good luck making JJ look like Carey.

The Crow-version Carey

Old, slow, couldn’t lift his arms over his head :D

Actually he was ok at times. Just not the full forward we needed at the time

JJ is looking better since he came back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back