Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doing no research I'm going to guess the number of listed players traded without playing an AFL game in the last 15 years is only a handfull and none for more than a forth round pick. Happy to find out from someone more diligent that I'm wrong.

2017 Collingwood traded a future second round pick for Sam Murray and a future third round pick. He was pick 66 in the 2015 rookie draft, and didn't play a game for Sydney in the two years he was on their list

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
2017 Collingwood traded a future second round pick for Sam Murray and a future third round pick. He was pick 66 in the 2015 rookie draft, and didn't play a game for Sydney in the two years he was on their list
Based on their 2017 finishing positions that valued Murray at pick 40, actual 2018 positions pick 59.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
THE EIGHT UNDER PRESSURE

Which of the following 8 will be at the club next year?

Sandliands - Champion nearing the end. One of the greatest Dockers of all time. Turns 37 this year.
Ballantyne - Warhorse who has squeezed everything he could out of his career. Struggling with fitness and form.
Kersten - His body continues to let him down. Depth player who can play both ends of the ground.
Bennell - One injury away from retirement. Probably needs 6+ games to get a contract extension.
Crowden - Played 9 games. Looked decent early 2018, but struggled to transition to the extra speed of AFL. Lacks awareness.
Dixon - Question marks on whether he's mobile enough. Behind quiet a few now.
North - Still yet to debut. Is time running out?
Meek - Project ruckman struggling to have an impact at WAFL level. Even with Freo's ruck crisis, still behind Darcy and Jones for a call-up.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
THE EIGHT UNDER PRESSURE

Which of the following 8 will be at the club next year?

Sandliands - Champion nearing the end. One of the greatest Dockers of all time. Turns 37 this year.
Ballantyne - Warhorse who has squeezed everything he could out of his career. Struggling with fitness and form.
Kersten - His body continues to let him down. Depth player who can play both ends of the ground.
Bennell - One injury away from retirement. Probably needs 6+ games to get a contract extension.
Crowden - Played 9 games. Looked decent early 2018, but struggled to transition to the extra speed of AFL. Lacks awareness.
Dixon - Question marks on whether he's mobile enough. Behind quiet a few now.
North - Still yet to debut. Is time running out?
Meek - Project ruckman struggling to have an impact at WAFL level. Even with Freo's ruck crisis, still behind Darcy and Jones for a call-up.
No need to cut 8 players and Crowden and Dixon have another year on their contract, so that's a pretty easy decision. Sandilands, Ballantyne and Kersten may be enough, but one of Jones or Meek should be moved on as well.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
No need to cut 8 players and Crowden and Dixon have another year on their contract, so that's a pretty easy decision. Sandilands, Ballantyne and Kersten may be enough, but one of Jones or Meek should be moved on as well.

I believe that Freo, even if happy with the list, will look to move on 6 players minimum (7 if they want to add Dillon O'Reilly). I think everyone would agree that Sandilands, Ballantyne and Kersten are a given. I would suggest that Nyhuis and Meek are also almost a certainty and surprisingly North may be closer to the end than many think (he is never mentioned as a potential in). Bennell is gone if another major calf comes up and Langdon maybe be closer to a trade than staying.

Yeah, we will have no problem moving 6-7 players.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sandilands, Ballas, Kersten, North (seems he is not rated for whatever reason) are the only ones I think are in real trouble. Harley too if he blows his calf again this season.

4-5 changes I think is plenty. We don't have a lot of picks and most of our list is young. No need to turn it over for the sake of it. No doubt there are a couple of others in trouble but not sure who. Nyhuis and one of the rucks perhaps but hard to tell from outside.

Jason Carter has been given a one year contract extension,.
Congratulations to the young lad.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-06-12/carter-reward-with-oneyear-contract-extension

whoo.gif

YES MY BUDDY!!!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Unless we somehow have a heap of picks in the first 2 rounds I can't see a reason for moving on players like Nyhuis and North. We have no 3rd or 4th round picks and none of these players would attract an actual trade. If we did trade Langdon (hope not) I expect it will be for a mature player.

North has been injured and is yet to find form, but has the remainder of the season to earn an extension. Nyhuis may be a victim of a glut of HBFs, especially with Carter extending and some other NGA prospects in the pipeline, but for next year he would be decent depth. O'Reilley would just be added to the rookie list.

To turn over 7 players the club would need to be predicting great depth in this draft.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A few things things:

1. Hughes and Giro have been promoted to the senior list.
2. O'Reilly and I'm pretty sure Carter will be added to the category a rookie list.
3. Crowden and Dixon are contracted for next season and aren't being delisted.
4. I highly doubt we'll take less than three picks.

To take three picks in the National Draft we'll need to move five off our list minimum. To take any picks in the rookie draft we'll need to delist rookies.

Nyhuis, North and McCarthy are in big, big trouble if we re-sign everyone we want to I reckon.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Or we would have to be confident that Kelly and a couple of others are coming to the club without us trading players to facilitate the moves.
Would be tricky. Not trading players, and with only 2 meaningful picks, yet snagging Kelly and a couple of others, plus Henry. Effectively would mean we would be picking up the required other players with some of the last picks in the draft I would think.

I think this draft has quality and depth in exactly the areas we need. To add a player like Serong, Flanders or Taheny to the squad, plus Henry would be ideal, and I think they debut early. I wouldn't be unhappy if the club did less trading and went harder at the draft, especially if it gave us a strong chance of getting Jackson (by trading into this draft with next year's first or second round).

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does that take him off the cat b rookie list?
Bit of research and I found this information:
Rookie Lists: Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible Category A rookies and three Category B rookies. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season, with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the ND.

Minimum number of rookies: Rookie lists are now recognised as a key list management tool and designating a minimum number of rookies is no longer necessary as it is purely a club decision.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My impression is that even though Jason Carter has signed on for 2020 season he can be retained in his current list spot as a Category B Rookie.

An article from Feb 2019 indicates Giro was given a 2-year extension with promotion to the primary list. I doubt they would go back on that commitment now.

Hughes in May was given a 2-year contract extension incorporating an upgrade to the primary list.

Therefore the category A rookies currently:
OReilly, Nyhuis, Watson

A decision will need to be made on O’Reilly - can he agree to stay on as a category A rookie? I would assume so.

We had a primary list of 38 players. Plus now Hughes and Giro. I would see us needing to cut back to at least 34.

Nyhuis doesn’t help with this cut back. But a decision will need to be made on whether he is redrafted as a rookie or they look at a fresh pick/player.

I would cut both of Jones and Meek and redraft one of them to the rookie list.

Out: Sandilands (ret), Ballantyne (ret), Kersten (del), Jones (del), Meek (del)

Then decisions on the following:
McCarthy, North - with a chance to redraft them onto Rookie list.

McCarthy and North could be saved by any Traded out players like Langdon. Bennell is another - if he returns to AFL and finds some form it is a no brainer to resign him for another year.

If all goes well with Bennell then the final question to ponder is who would be preferred on the Rookie list between North and Nyhuis.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
He might.

He does like money and enjoys the contest.

Also, he can play forward and reduce his midfield minutes.

Still playing great footy,

Mundy can get stuffed.

If he thinks he is retiring at the end of this year he has another thing coming.

I'll sacrifice my first born before I let him retire this year.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Mundy can get stuffed.

If he thinks he is retiring at the end of this year he has another thing coming.

I'll sacrifice my first born before I let him retire this year.

He’s got the tick of approval from his Mrs to keep playing. She suggested another 5 years. Wish I could find the article.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Pretty sure Mundy insinuated a contract extension was being worked out a couple of months ago. I reckon Ballas will get an extension too.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure Mundy insinuated a contract extension was being worked out a couple of months ago. I reckon Ballas will get an extension too.
Ballas will need to get fit and stay that way to be a chance. No point in carrying 30+ that never play (Sandi gets a pass because he is/was awesome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back