Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me entitled but I couldn’t care less. I do not want the PBs wasted on the Crows. I live in Victoria, so it’s going to be great getting to see the Prison Bars once in my life in a game we’ll probably get pantsed in. Not surprised we’ve decided to fold on this one given the current administration but FFS, have a bit of ******* bite Port.
The majority of us wanted to see it as the home jumper and we’ve compromised to this. Not a happy camper.

Call me entitled but I couldn’t care less. I do not want the PBs wasted on the Crows. I live in Victoria, so it’s going to be great getting to see the Prison Bars once in my life in a game we’ll probably get pantsed in. Not surprised we’ve decided to fold on this one given the current administration but FFS, have a bit of ******* bite Port.
The majority of us wanted to see it as the home jumper and we’ve compromised to this. Not a happy camper.
It's good that you know your place :p!

Being serious though, it's probably the perfect game to do it in, as no other opposition club probably really has any idea of what the PB's are and what they represent like the Crows and our fans do. The showdown is already the biggest rivalry in the league (Victoria are so jealous of it they want it played at the MCG!) and having Port in the PB's will only take it to another level.

I think Port have actually done quite well out of this. I don't think you were ever likely to have been able to wear it full time, but by starting the negotiations there and then compromising by only using it in showdowns, you've done a lot better than starting at 'once a year' and then having Collingwood and the AFL drag you to 'never' like has probably happened in the past.

I think Port have actually done quite well out of this. I don't think you were ever likely to have been able to wear it full time, but by starting the negotiations there and then compromising by only using it in showdowns, you've done a lot better than starting at 'once a year' and then having Collingwood and the AFL drag you to 'never' like has probably happened in the past.

Do you think this is finished?

Not by a long shot.

It's good that you know your place :p!

Being serious though, it's probably the perfect game to do it in, as no other opposition club probably really has any idea of what the PB's are and what they represent like the Crows and our fans do. The showdown is already the biggest rivalry in the league (Victoria are so jealous of it they want it played at the MCG!) and having Port in the PB's will only take it to another level.

I do agree on the one hand with what you've said, with the Crows and Port in the Prison Bars being polar opposites. But then again, the Crows aren't the biggest obstacle to us wearing the PBs, so it's not the end goal. End of the day, us wearing the PBs in a night game vs Brisbane at the Gabba isn't going to affect them. Them getting a FTA game against a s**t opposition might affect us but nobody complains at that, so Collingwood, the most privileged club in the AFL, have nothing to complain about.

(Victoria are so jealous of it they want it played at the MCG!)
Tbf the only person who suggested it be played at the MCG was Kane Cornes, an ex-Port player who's clearly lost his touch since joining the AFL media circle jerk.

Tbf the only person who suggested it be played at the MCG was Kane Cornes, an ex-Port player who's clearly lost his touch since joining the AFL media circle jerk.
I heard Damien ‘Damo’ Barrett suggesting it, but it doesn’t surprise me that Kane was calling for it too.

If this is true then its actually a very positive move as it might provide the foot in the door that they need to wear it on a more permanent basis. Once the footy world sees it as a Port jumper with continued, regular use at AFL level, and it becomes patently obvious that it doesn't infringe on Collingwood's brand at all, there will be no reason to stop them from wearing it full time (assuming the club wants to, which I'm not convinced they do).

Shame it won't be worn in both Showdowns though. I don't really see why Eddie is ok with home games but not away. Crows in full home against Port in bars and white shorts would be a brilliant look.

I heard Damien ‘Damo’ Barrett suggesting it, but it doesn’t surprise me that Kane was calling for it too.
Twas Damien Barrett wasn't it?
Could've sworn I saw somewhere Kane Cornes mention it somewhere (7afl account on Instagram)?
Either way doesn't surprise me one bit "Damo" tried to flog this off as a good idea. I think it's overwhelmingly clear that he doesn't represent any group of footy fans, let alone Victorians :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is true then its actually a very positive move as it might provide the foot in the door that they need to wear it on a more permanent basis. Once the footy world sees it as a Port jumper with continued, regular use at AFL level, and it becomes patently obvious that it doesn't infringe on Collingwood's brand at all, there will be no reason to stop them from wearing it full time (assuming the club wants to, which I'm not convinced they do).

Shame it won't be worn in both Showdowns though. I don't really see why Eddie is ok with home games but not away. Crows in full home against Port in bars and white shorts would be a brilliant look.

Bang on, this is the thin end of the wedge.

We wear the bars once a year to begin with to great fanfare and commercial success, Collingwood realise that they aren't affected in any way and their opposition either wanes or looks increasingly silly. The #bringbackthebars campaign continues to push for more against less and less resistance until we get what we're asking for.

A reasonable compromise
That's not a compromise, that's maintaining the farcical status quo where Eddie McGuire gets to play God with another club's identity and decree exactly when, where and how they get to express it.

It's an absolute joke and I am disgusted by it. Would rather not wear them in 2020 if it means endorsing in any way that this clown McGuire should have any say in what Port Adelaide wear ongoing.

Port should be able to wear the Prison Bars as often as they like on the proviso they always wear them with white shorts...it is the classiest look in Australian Football. Give them teal topped socks if that helps at all.

View attachment 726636
Yep if it became our home jumper we'd deffs wear them with white shorts.

It's a bit of a gag when the AFL are so dumb, they bring in two new teams who have a strong resemblance to their immediate rival in two-team-towns.

Gold Coast come in with red, yellow, and blue while the team up the motorway wear red, yellow and blue. And Sydney wear red and western Sydney wear orange.

There's about 30 years at most of those markets knowing who wears what.

Port have worn black and white for 150 years in South Australia and Collingwood have worn it for 155 in Melbourne.

There's 18 teams in the comp and the SA/WA teams almost exist in their own bubble. 'cept about six games a season on free-to-air, they aren't really registering much. Collingwood's black-on-white is classic Magpies v Port's black on white, super thin stripes that are unique in general. It's a shame both clubs can't coexist.

The other thing old Eddie forgets is that there's so much marketability in this. It could be a genuine interstate rivalry that lasts a long time. Both the well known 'hated' team of each of their original leagues, big fan bases, arrogant, proud traditions... every team wants a blockbuster and if Collingwood can have this stripes game against Port Adelaide, then Anzac Day, Carlton, Queen's Birthday, and Essendon well.. you're set.

Last edited:
I dunno, just let Port Adelaide wear the Prison Bars for all games in South Australia, something else in Victoria (the current home, the 04 Premiership jumper, the SBS?), then the blue hooped style (potentially with teal instead of light blue?) as a clash.

Back