Bartlett vs Jackson and the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

You may remember that I fired off an email last week to the club re the scuttlebutt aired on 3AW last week. I live interstate and heard about this via posts on big footy. Anyway, the prez has responded to my email.

Dear xxxxx,
Thank you for your email. I forward the following response from Glen Bartlett to you:
Dear xxxxx,
The report aired on 3AW was complete and utter rubbish. The Club made the decision not to respond so as not to give the story any oxygen to propagate it further but I do want to assure you that it is a nonsense.
You will recall that Peter renewed his contract with the Club last year on an ongoing basis until at least Oct 2015 which is great for our Club. Peter originally signed on for 6 months back in 2013 when he took over as CEO and the Club has benefitted tremendously from his decision to stay on past that original term.
Peter continues to achieve outstanding results for our Club and the board couldn't be more pleased with the efforts of Peter ,our executive group, staff and players.
The Club is in the strongest and most stable position it has been for a long time.
Glen
Thanks for the update!

You may remember that I fired off an email last week to the club re the scuttlebutt aired on 3AW last week. I live interstate and heard about this via posts on big footy. Anyway, the prez has responded to my email.

Dear xxxxx,
Thank you for your email. I forward the following response from Glen Bartlett to you:
Dear xxxxx,
The report aired on 3AW was complete and utter rubbish. The Club made the decision not to respond so as not to give the story any oxygen to propagate it further but I do want to assure you that it is a nonsense.
You will recall that Peter renewed his contract with the Club last year on an ongoing basis until at least Oct 2015 which is great for our Club. Peter originally signed on for 6 months back in 2013 when he took over as CEO and the Club has benefitted tremendously from his decision to stay on past that original term.
Peter continues to achieve outstanding results for our Club and the board couldn't be more pleased with the efforts of Peter ,our executive group, staff and players.
The Club is in the strongest and most stable position it has been for a long time.
Glen
A grade reaction from the club, very classy. Almost, er, professional...?

Dear xxxxx,
Dear xxxxx,
Glen

I completely forgot about this thread until I saw the Season launch updates, was wondering what happened. Good to hear the club virtually rolled their eyes at the report and that it was complete rubbish.

Bartlett in the HS today said that we don't need a review of the football and admin departments. Concerning. Is he the right man for the job?

Bartlett in the HS today said that we don't need a review of the football and admin departments. Concerning. Is he the right man for the job?

Good on him for doing a bit of media this week (carefully timed with the bye next), but Jeepers he played a very bland, straight bat on SEN this morning.

Even Gerard Whateley couldn’t elicit anything of interest.

Would have thought that the board members are consistently reviewing the club during the year. Wouldn’t be much point in them if they aren’t...

Good on him for doing a bit of media this week (carefully timed with the bye next), but Jeepers he played a very bland, straight bat on SEN this morning.

Even Gerard Whateley couldn’t elicit anything of interest.
I don’t mind that he played a straight bat, better than any NY Yankees style gaffes. I also agree with the post above that surely they are constantly reviewing things, so the media byline that ‘Melbourne won’t be doing a comprehensive review and therefore this deluded band of *s must think everything is ok’ is just to confect supporter outrage.

What I found interesting was Bartlett saying that the fd communicated with the board that the preseason was ****ed and that 2019 could get off to a rocky start. Taking that on face value there seems to have been a disconnect, why was Simon Goodwin offered a long term deal when we knew this season could be so damaging? I’m not against the board supporting him with resources but did we really think he would be headhunted or walk if a shitshow was on the cards and he wasn’t offered 4 years? Why make him do that absurd ‘After the Siren’ s**t where he has to spin embarrassing losses to members and fans week in, week out? The ‘pledge per win initiative’ looks quite farcical in light of this and moreover why didn’t the club more overtly prepare fans for the worst rather than pretending everything was hunky dory?

What I found interesting was Bartlett saying that the fd communicated with the board that the preseason was ****** and that 2019 could get off to a rocky start. Taking that on face value there seems to have been a disconnect, why was Simon Goodwin offered a long term deal when we knew this season could be so damaging? I’m not against the board supporting him with resources but did we really think he would be headhunted or walk if a ****show was on the cards and he wasn’t offered 4 years?

I would guess, when they recognised the probably 'rocky start', that the contract extension was seen as a way to ensure that there was minimal heat on Goodwin when it started to go pear shaped.

Why make him do that absurd ‘After the Siren’ **** where he has to spin embarrassing losses to members and fans week in, week out?

Fan engagement, or whatever the hell that is. They tried it, its failed, let it go.

The ‘pledge per win initiative’ looks quite farcical in light of this and moreover why didn’t the club more overtly prepare fans for the worst rather than pretending everything was hunky dory?

In their quest for membership growth. We hit a new membership record as a result.

I would guess, when they recognised the probably 'rocky start', that the contract extension was seen as a way to ensure that there was minimal heat on Goodwin when it started to go pear shaped.

Fan engagement, or whatever the hell that is. They tried it, its failed, let it go.

In their quest for membership growth. We hit a new membership record as a result.

We hit a new membership record because we made a prelim last year. Membership will 100% drop off next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all fairness to Bartlett, we are probably a few list changes and a game plan modification from being back in the 8. We desperately need an A grade outside midfielder, we need to keep May & Lever fit, we need to push Salem into the midfield next year, we need to make some hard calls on older players.

I’d be keeping our top pick from this year and going for the best available ball user we can get. Go for a kid with an outside game. That’s of course we can’t use it as part of a trade for Coniglio (hypothetical).

Fixing our goal kicking and game plan will be the biggest issue. Half the reason our disposal is so bad is that we are under ridiculous pressure that we bring on ourselves from over possession.

In all fairness to Bartlett, we are probably a few list changes and a game plan modification from being back in the 8. We desperately need an A grade outside midfielder, we need to keep May & Lever fit, we need to push Salem into the midfield next year, we need to make some hard calls on older players.

I’d be keeping our top pick from this year and going for the best available ball user we can get. Go for a kid with an outside game. That’s of course we can’t use it as part of a trade for Coniglio (hypothetical).

Fixing our goal kicking and game plan will be the biggest issue. Half the reason our disposal is so bad is that we are under ridiculous pressure that we bring on ourselves from over possession.

Yep, gotta nab this years Connor Rozee

Brayshaw is A-grade :)

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back