Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jordan Roughead (Full Back) in the "Team Of The Week" this week. No other Bulldog players
present which is an obvious bias even though we had the "BYE" and did not play at all.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some FACTS with regards to the Jordan Roughead situation:

Elected as Vice Captain in 2015 despite having an injury interrupted career and a best placing in the B&F of 9th in 2013.

Bob Murphy: "Someone who sees the game and the club with a real sense of clarity. He's loved and respected by his peers and he's someone I'm already leaning on and will continue to do so for the year. So I'm rapt to have him as my vice-captain."

Luke Beveridge: "He's (Roughead) a really respected young man, he's been at the club for a number of years now, It's a great sign that our younger players are progressing, they’re maturing."

Steps down from Leadership group prior to 2016 to concentrate on Football after another injury riddled season in 2015. Goes on to play 25 games and plays a big part in helping the Club win a Premiership. Wins Most Improved Player at the Bulldogs Best and Fairest awards.

Misses the first 9 weeks of the 2017 season due to injury. Plays the final 13 games.

Voted in by the players for the 2018 Leadership Group.

Spends 6 weeks out of the AFL side due to a combination of injury and form, recalled in Round 9.

At a Press Conference prior to the Round 11 clash with Melbourne, Luke Beveridge is asked about the future of Roughead and Mitch Wallis

Luke Beveridge:"(Roughead) is a free agent at the end of this year, so we're working with his management at the moment to try and re-sign him because he's definitely a required player, He'll need to perform at his best pretty quickly to establish what his future is beyond this year, and I really believe he can."

"Like 'Roughy', Mitch is definitely a required player, and I and other coaches talk to him weekly around what his focus areas are to get back in the team."

The Headlines:

"Beveridge Turns Heat on Wallis and Roughead" - The Age, June 1 - 2018
"Bevo: Free Agent Duo have to lift" - AFL Website, June 1 - 2018

In the Round 11 match on June 2nd, Roughead has 12 hitouts matched against Max Gawn who has 57 and goes on to collect Brownlow Votes. Roughead is dropped.

On June 18, 2018 CEO Ameet Bains is forced to clarify Bevo's comments with regards to Roughead on SEN:

“I think what’s happened, a lot more direct questions are now asked of coaches at press conferences and certainly with respect to Roughy, I think Bevo’s starting point is we have been negotiating with his manager for a chunk of the season and want to retain him,

On June 19th 2018, Jason Johannisen publicly questions the leadership group of which he is a part of:

"As a leadership group, we have probably let the team down a bit. We haven't been consistent with our performances,"

Roughead is recalled for the Round 17 game against Melbourne after Tom Boyd succumbs to a back injury, prompting Barrett to write in his Sliding Doors bit on the AFL Website "Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against". Gawn is BOG and gets 3 Brownlow Votes.

Roughead plays out the season in the Seniors but is the No.2 Ruck option behind Jackson Trengove

Less than a week after the completion of the Season, Roughead is in Perth meeting with the Eagles before being traded to the Pies.

Don't let the Media twist the facts on us guys and gals! Roughead had issues with injury and form throughout his decade long tenure at the Dogs. He never finished Top 5 in a B&F (Finished Top 10 once), was never in AA contention and had never won a single Brownlow vote. Despite this he was TWICE voted into the Leadership Group by his peers (the same playing group he claimed didn't support him) and TWICE walked away of his own volition. He was also publicly backed by his Coach to regain his best form and was told by both the Coach and the CEO that he was definitely a required player. That the Click Bait Crew turned this around is yet another lesson in how powerful the Media have become and how dangerous they can be to team harmony.

I wish Roughy all the best, he is a Premiership hero who risked a life long injury to play in the GF. He has definitely earned the "Bullgod" status. Whacking blokes on your way out the door though??? I really thought he was better than that.

I liked all of this post until the end.
Your argument is to not believe the way media twists words and context to get clicks and then you've had a go at Roughy based on words in a quote taken potentially out of context.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I liked all of this post until the end.
Your argument is to not believe the way media twists words and context to get clicks and then you've had a go at Roughy based on words in a quote taken potentially out of context.
"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."

There aint much reading between the lines with regards to this quote. It's a pretty straight forward whack at the Club, players and coaches. To say that you would have rather retired than pull on a Doggies jumper again are some pretty strong words no matter the context.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"I still had the belief. I still believed in myself and my ability. I knew that with players and coaches around me that believed in me then I would be able to get out there and play some good footy."

There aint much reading between the lines with regards to this quote. It's a pretty straight forward whack at the Club, players and coaches. To say that you would have rather retired than pull on a Doggies jumper again are some pretty strong words no matter the context.
I don't know, having been in a similar position myself as a player - slight variation - I dont see an issue.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't know, having been in a similar position myself as a player - slight variation - I dont see an issue.
And i get that. I wasn't all that offended by Rough's comments until I did a bit of research and read that not only had he been elected to the Leadership group twice but that he had voluntarily walked away from it twice.

The old saying that 'actions speak louder than words' spring to mind. I think it's a bit rich to insinuate that the previous playing group lacked belief in you when he literally stepped away (twice) from leading players that obviously looked up to him.

The media should be objective enough to look at both sides of the story and ask Jordan the hard questions like why he stepped away from leading and what role he had in filling the void that was created when Boyd and Murph retired.

Instead it comes across extremely one sided and paints the Dogs in a very negative light. I'm not saying we are innocent bystanders in all of this. Seldom is it the case when two parties part ways amicably. As I said, I wish him well. I just thought that the other side of the story (from what has played out publicly at least) needed to be retold and that Jordan could have chosen his words a bit better.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And i get that. I wasn't all that offended by Rough's comments until I did a bit of research and read that not only had he been elected to the Leadership group twice but that he had voluntarily walked away from it twice.

The old saying that 'actions speak louder than words' spring to mind. I think it's a bit rich to insinuate that the previous playing group lacked belief in you when he literally stepped away (twice) from leading players that obviously looked up to him.

The media should be objective enough to look at both sides of the story and ask Jordan the hard questions like why he stepped away from leading and what role he had in filling the void that was created when Boyd and Murph retired.

Instead it comes across extremely one sided and paints the Dogs in a very negative light. I'm not saying we are innocent bystanders in all of this. Seldom is it the case when two parties part ways amicably. As I said, I wish him well. I just thought that the other side of the story (from what has played out publicly at least) needed to be retold and that Jordan could have chosen his words a bit better.
Yeah I get all that too, that's why I said I agreed with every other part of your post.

I think also, he stepped away from the leadership group for mental health reasons. Has come out and said he went through some depression and wanted to focus on just playing.

Either way, I wish him every success and given that we went be winning it this year, I hope he gets a second flag.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Article in herald sun on website about P Gordon saying Bev is the right man for Dogs going forward but there is no rush on a new deal.

Sorry it has paywall
Not HS but similar article.

Dogs back long-term AFL deal for Beveridge
16x9_medium

Even without a finals appearance this season, the Bulldogs say Luke Beveridge will remain as coach. (AAP)
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon expects the AFL club and coach Luke Beveridge to soon thrash out a long-term contract extension.

Club president Peter Gordon is adamant Luke Beveridge remains the man to take the Western Bulldogs forward, even if they miss the AFL finals for a third straight season.
The Bulldogs sit 15th on the ladder after 12 rounds, having not tasted September action since Beveridge led them to the premiership in 2016.
Beveridge's contract expires at the end of next season but Gordon expects to arrange an extension for the 48-year-old before that point.

"I think that Bevo is a terrific coach, has done a terrific job and I expect him to be coach of the Bulldogs for a long, long time," Gordon told AAP.
"I have total confidence in him. I believe that he has total confidence in me and we'll work those things out like any friends and colleagues would."
The Bulldogs on Wednesday marked the 30-year anniversary of the 'Fightback' campaign which saved Footscray from a merger with Fitzroy.
Fans raised more than $1.6 million to help ensure the club's survival, while Fitzroy went on to merge with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.
The Bulldogs will wear commemorative guernseys featuring their old Footscray logo when they host Melbourne in round 17.
Convincing wins over Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn this season have shown what the Dogs are capable of at their best.
But the Dogs limped into their mid-season bye with three straight losses, capped by a 61-point drubbing from premiers West Coast.
"At our best we can beat anyone but unfortunately we've had inconsistencies throughout the year," captain Easton Wood said.
"Our challenge going into the second half of the year is being able to put together those consistent four-quarter performances."
The Bulldogs have consistently been among the youngest and least experienced sides this season, a problem exacerbated by the AFL's clampdown on runners.
"That's obviously a real challenge," Wood said.
"We can still get messages out at different times but as captain and as leaders on the ground, we have to be really mindful of where the young boys and where the entire group is at.
"Whether they feel like we've taken a step back or making sure we're really positive and still in that mind frame of being willing to win the game, not going into that safe brand of footy where things can just spiral out of control.
"That's our challenge. We've got to be vocal and make sure that when things aren't going well - because it happens almost every game - that the young boys look to you as a beacon of support and strength."
SOURCE AAP

Heart-and-soul Bulldog mid off the table after re-signing

Dinny Navaratnam

Jun 13, 2019 4:49PM

[https://s]

Good Dog: Star mid Tom Liberatore extends his contract

PREMIERSHIP Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore has re-signed for a further two years.
Originally due to come out of contract at season's end, he is now locked in until the end of 2021.
Liberatore, 27, was an integral part of the 2016 flag side and is among the heart-and-soul players at the Bulldogs.

Tom Liberatore

DISPOSALS

ABOVE AVG

GAMES PLAYED

CLEARANCES

ELITE

TACKLES

ELITE

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS

ELITE

GROUND BALL GETS

ELITE

AFL PREMIERSHIP CAREER STATISTICS

Discover more in AFL StatsPro

Check out more of Tom Liberatore's stats in StatsPro!

Having endured two knee reconstructions throughout a career that has included the 2014 best and fairest, Liberatore is a fan favourite.
His father Tony won a Brownlow Medal in a 283-game career at the Dogs.
Tom an Tony Liberatore after the 2016 Grand Final. Picture: AFL Photos

Taken as a father-son selection in 2010, Liberatore has lined up in 128 career matches and is keen to see that run extend.
"Being loyal to my teammates is a big thing for me," Liberatore told westernbulldogs.com.au.
"I've been part of this group for nine years now and I'm happy where I am.
Find In the Game on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
"It's been good to come back from injury and play every game so far this year, and nice to sign on for two more years to have that comfort around the future.
"I'm really looking forward to the back half of the year and how we can grow this year, and over the next couple of years.
"This group has the promise and the talent to get back to the top, and we've shown that ability in certain games this year. I think that we will keep getting better."
Liberatore is averaging 23 disposals per game this season and is ranked No.18 in the competition for clearances per game.
However, Dogs list manager Sam Power said Liberatore's influence couldn't be measured in stats alone.
"We're obviously rapt to have Tom sign on for two more years," Power said.
"He is an important player for our football club with the way he plays, as he has shown throughout the first half of this year in his return from a second ACL reconstruction.
"Tom is the type of player who makes his teammates walk taller.
"His selfless approach to the game makes those around him better players, and we know he is driven to help this group taste success in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Heart-and-soul Bulldog mid off the table after re-signing

Dinny Navaratnam

Jun 13, 2019 4:49PM

[https://s]

Good Dog: Star mid Tom Liberatore extends his contract

PREMIERSHIP Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore has re-signed for a further two years.
Originally due to come out of contract at season's end, he is now locked in until the end of 2021.
Liberatore, 27, was an integral part of the 2016 flag side and is among the heart-and-soul players at the Bulldogs.

Tom Liberatore

DISPOSALS

ABOVE AVG

GAMES PLAYED

CLEARANCES

ELITE

TACKLES

ELITE

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS

ELITE

GROUND BALL GETS

ELITE

AFL PREMIERSHIP CAREER STATISTICS

Discover more in AFL StatsPro

Check out more of Tom Liberatore's stats in StatsPro!

Having endured two knee reconstructions throughout a career that has included the 2014 best and fairest, Liberatore is a fan favourite.
His father Tony won a Brownlow Medal in a 283-game career at the Dogs.
Tom an Tony Liberatore after the 2016 Grand Final. Picture: AFL Photos

Taken as a father-son selection in 2010, Liberatore has lined up in 128 career matches and is keen to see that run extend.
"Being loyal to my teammates is a big thing for me," Liberatore told westernbulldogs.com.au.
"I've been part of this group for nine years now and I'm happy where I am.
Find In the Game on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify
"It's been good to come back from injury and play every game so far this year, and nice to sign on for two more years to have that comfort around the future.
"I'm really looking forward to the back half of the year and how we can grow this year, and over the next couple of years.
"This group has the promise and the talent to get back to the top, and we've shown that ability in certain games this year. I think that we will keep getting better."
Liberatore is averaging 23 disposals per game this season and is ranked No.18 in the competition for clearances per game.
However, Dogs list manager Sam Power said Liberatore's influence couldn't be measured in stats alone.
"We're obviously rapt to have Tom sign on for two more years," Power said.
"He is an important player for our football club with the way he plays, as he has shown throughout the first half of this year in his return from a second ACL reconstruction.
"Tom is the type of player who makes his teammates walk taller.
"His selfless approach to the game makes those around him better players, and we know he is driven to help this group taste success in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He must love the s**t culture

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
HAVING players take to the field while managing mental health illness is part of the complex solution to managing the problem in the AFL, Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says.

Beveridge has experience in the area, having seen injury-riddled midfielder Lin Jong take a break from playing football on Thursday while still training, as he focuses on his mental health issues.

FULL INJURY LIST Who's ruled out and who's a test?

Last month, Dogs premiership hero Tom Boyd retired at just 23 after losing the passion to play.

Beveridge believes more education is required.

"It's probably just understanding it even more, and I think the point we've got to get to is when players are having these clinically diagnosed challenges, that we can still get them to the point where they can still play the game at this level," Beveridge said.

"That's the biggest unknown, because with physical injury, there's a finite timeline in return. With mental health, there isn't, and we found that with 'Boydy'.

"You actually haven't got an endpoint, and that's the most disconcerting thing in the whole equation."

The point we've got to get to is when players are having these clinically diagnosed challenges, that ... they can still play the game - Luke Beveridge​
Beveridge warned against a situation where juniors coming through hide their battles in a bid to be recruited.

"We don't want to get to the point where players aren't getting an opportunity before they get drafted, because I'm pretty sure 17 and 18-year-olds who have gone through the pathways and already know that it's going to be tough for them, that declaration's not going to happen, because they want their opportunity," Beveridge said.

"It's just making sure that we can manage it and still have players with these challenges become very good players at AFL level."

Find In the Game on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcastsor Spotify

Inspirational defender Dale Morris is recovering from a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered in March, and skipped the dreaded knee reconstruction that would require a 12-month rehabilitation period for his own method to see him back in far quicker time is closing in on a comeback.

"We anticipated he'd almost be right this week. He's back in almost full training. He's pretty good but there's a few things going on (to do with) DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and fatigue. We're hoping in a couple of weeks he'd be right to play," Beveridge said.

Another heart-and-soul player, Tom Liberatore, has recommitted until the end of 2021.

It hasn't always been a smooth relationship, with the dogged onballer having signed on for a further season very late in 2018, with the protracted nature of negotiations raising eyebrows externally, but the Dogs are rapt to have him.

"Liba's probably had some really big challenges. The two knee recos, and even post some success (the 2016 flag), we all came back and he probably wasn't where he wanted to be, as far as his productivity went through those periods," Beveridge said.

"He's learnt a lot about himself. The thing about Tom is his devotion to the footy club has never been questioned … he's much-loved here and he's just a significant part of our culture more than anything.

"There's no doubt we asked him to jump through a few hoops before he signed a new contract and he was prepared to do that, and it's to his credit that he's been able to perform at the level he has this year."

At 27, Liberatore is averaging 23 disposals and six clearances per game this year.

"It's that old adage, you can't choose whether or not you grow old but you can choose whether or not you grow up. Liba's never going to make that total choice to grow up I wouldn't have thought," Beveridge said.

"He's a beauty, and that youthful energy drives an AFL footy club a lot of the time.

"He was such a significant reason for our success in recent history and we're hoping he'll be a significant reason in our future success."

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great response from Bev in relation to the Caleb Daniel question.
Thought it was a poor superficial response. But we all know where we stand on CD's position. So guess it's perspective.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I don’t see why Caleb can’t change his approach when deep in defence? He doesn’t need to go these risky passes there. The moment it is a kick that enters the centre square though he should be as risky as he possibly can.

Surely he can accomodate both approaches, he is one of the smarter footballers I’ve seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back