Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can stick that Tin foil hat where it fits. Your opinion counts and no one else can have one.

Goodes ended his career as a dirty player and for whatever stupid reason became a serial slider with his feet/knees/legs out first (he never did it in his previous +300 games). Thankfully he didn’t cause anyone a serious injury. If you think that’s an over reaction well that’s your opinion.
There's a significant difference between an opinion and just making stuff up. You're accusing Goodes of pre-meditation with absolutely no evidence.

What if I just say that Hodgey was drink driving hoping to crash into someone and put them in the hospital because he's pure evil. Luckily the cops caught him first. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Has there been any racist sledges from the crowd this season?

We've had the Doug Nicholls round(s) come and go. We've celebrated the deeds of Eddiebetts, Tim Kelly, Titch Edwards, Stack, Tippa, Buddy, Walters, Brad Hill, Liam Ryan and Charlie Cameron

People cheered Cyril Rioli last Monday after he made the trip down from the Northern Territory and froze his nuts off at the Big Freeze
Where was Goodesy? How come he didn't slide for the MND benefit?

Seems to me, that with Goodes gone from the AFL scene, everything has been been going just fine. No racism. No division. No imaginary spears thrown at opposition cheer squads. Just people from all races and walks of life coming together for Our Great Game. A celebration of all that's good.

During the 2015 season, all I heard from Goodes sycophants was how we needed to have "the conversation about racism" and how important it was for him to hold "a mirror up to society". Seemed to me like the convo was always more about Goodes himself than about racism. And now this documentary about him just seems to be stirring up the same crap.

I'm going to pass. I think our society is pretty good all things considered. It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Goodes sycophants seem to think. They'd have you believe that every second person is a closet racist. I feel sorry for them. What an awful outlook to have, walking around like your shiit doesn't stink and thinking so lowly of everyone around you.

Last edited:

And yet Lloyd hardly got booed to level Goodes did.

The racist element was clearly there. I was sat near fellow Hawks supporters at one particular game who we could hear saying the most awful racist stuff the entire game to the point where someone nearby dobbed them in. Of course this is not representative of everyone, and the level I heard that day was almost certainly in the absolute minority.

However, I think the bigger point is that there are some portions of our society who will embrace anyone different as long as they conform and act in a particular way - Ie an Australian way. There's plenty around here saying, "if it was racist why didn't we boo xxxxx player?". But the problem stems when someone *different* speaks out, is outspoken, challenges the status quo, etc. Suddenly that person becomes "a massive flog". Waleed Ally is a great example. He has some strong opinions, but no more outspoken than heaps of white guys in the media, but because he's perceived as an outsider, he cops way more heat from certain members of the public than others. And I think that's where the racist element is. Many wouldn't realise that this is racist, that the bar they've internally set for this person's behaviour is way different to 'one of their own', as it's just so deeply indoctrinated in our society.
Very nuanced post. A few people would benefit from a close reading of it.

The overwhelming majority of people booing Adam Goodes did it because they don't like him as a footballer or a person. It has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of his skin or race.

The ignorance and lack of education of many in this country is absolutely astounding.

It's absolutely sickening how stupid this society is becoming. PC warriors.. Utter lunacy..
Citation please.

?

Seems to me, that with Goodes gone from the AFL scene, everything has been been going just fine. No racism. No division. No imaginary spears thrown at opposition cheer squads. Just people from all races and walks of life coming together for Our Great Game. A celebration of all that's good.

God you're a dense campaigner, Chewy. No racism? Ryder, Ryan and Betts, just this year alone.

Yeah no messing with nation states eh? The whole concept goes back at least a couple of hundred years.

60,000 years of continuous civilisation doesn’t really measure up by comparison.

Even in today's enlightened times, if North Sentinel Island was the size of Australia then I doubt it would be left alone.

You don't have an answer because you are talking nonsense.. Another lemming PC warrior sadly who can't think for himself or see through the bull sh#t (ostrich with your head in the sand)
You haven’t actually done anything but make unsupported claims so far.

(Hint- spraying meaningless terms like “PC warrior” around willy-nilly doesn’t actually comprise an argument.)

Multiple.
How many? 4? 5? 6? Let's say it was 15. Pretty good considering we've had 3,831,644 attendees at 105 matches so far this season. That's about 4 in a million. A hell of a lot better than 8,000 ignorant Magpie ferals screaming "F*** off you black c***" every time Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam went near the ball in that 1993 match at Victoria Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had the Doug Nicholls round(s) come and go. We've celebrated the deeds of Eddiebetts, Tim Kelly, Titch Edwards, Stack, Tippa, Buddy, Walters, Brad Hill, Liam Ryan and Charlie Cameron

People cheered Cyril Rioli last Monday after he made the trip down from the Northern Territory and froze his nuts off at the Big Freeze
Where was Goodesy? How come he didn't slide for the MND benefit?

During the 2015 season, all I heard from Goodes sycophants was how we needed to have "the conversation about racism" and how important it was for him to hold "a mirror up to society". Seemed to me like the convo was always more about Goodes himself than about racism. And now this documentary about him just seems to be stirring up the same crap.

I'm going to pass. I think our society is pretty good all things considered. It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Goodes sycophants seem to think. They'd have you believe that every second person is a closet racist. I feel sorry for them. What an awful outlook to have, walking around like your shiit doesn't stink and thinking so lowly of everyone around you.
You don't experience racism so it isn't a problem. Check.

Geez, what was all the fuss about then?

Top indigenous figure Mick Gooda slams Gill McLachlan’s leadership during Adam Goodes racism row
A senior indigenous leader says Gillon McLachlan should be removed as AFL boss because of his failings in the Adam Goodes racism row.

Mick Gooda, who led an AFL contingent invited to address the United Nations Human Rights Council in 2011, said last week's belated apology to the dual Brownlow medallist "isn’t enough".

"I had a friend on the AFL Commission who told me at the time that people were blaming Adam for it — that he had brought it on himself," Gooda told the Herald Sun.

"They were saying exactly what the rednecks were saying."

I could almost get behind this if it meant Gil's head would roll.

Last edited:
God you're a dense campaigner, Chewy. No racism? Ryder, Ryan and Betts, just this year alone.
No, you're a dense campaigner, Kumspeck

You could have 100,000 Adam Goodeses holding up 100,000 mirrors to society and you will still get the odd peanut in a crowd of 30,000 who screams some racist bullshiit. That will always happen. The important thing is that mainstream Australia no longer tolerates nor turns a blind eye to this crap. People who yell that sort of crap are singled out by the crowd and turfed out of the stadium by security guards.

The problem was that Adam Goodes really wanted to be Nicky Winmar. He should've just stuck to being himself. Maybe then he wouldn't have overreacted to the benign name-calling from a 12yo girl and stirred up a race-row during his victory lap.

ba7dd7eb3f897a17a1034e079c3a5c2a--adam-goodes-st-kilda.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's a platform for showing support for militant anti-integration subversives, no.
Is “anti-integration” the latest bullet point on everyone’s talking points sheet? Suddenly seeing it everywhere.

So, treat a people as less than human beings for the best part of two centuries, but then the moment they start to stand up and demand the same sort of dignity that you and I take for granted, they’re being “divisive”?

OK, got it.

Kinda embarrassing though.

Why would indigenous people even want to be part of the shitty world we’re expecting them to sign up for?

How many? 4? 5? 6? Let's say it was 15. Pretty good considering we've had 3,831,644 attendees at 105 matches so far this season. That's about 4 in a million. A hell of a lot better than 8,000 ignorant Magpie ferals screaming "F*** off you black c***" every time Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam went near the ball in that 1993 match at Victoria Park.

I’ll agree that it’s an improvement but it’s still there, so we keep going.

No, you're a dense campaigner, Kumspeck

You could have 100,000 Adam Goodeses holding up 100,000 mirrors to society and you will still get the odd peanut in a crowd of 30,000 who screams some racist bullshiit. That will always happen. ]

You just said it hadn't since Goodes retired. Its happened multiple times each year.

The problem was that Adam Goodes really wanted to be Nicky Winmar. He should've just stuck to being himself. Maybe then he wouldn't have overreacted to the benign name-calling from a 12yo girl and stirred up a race-row during his victory lap.
]
Chewy, you once wrote a post to me in capital letters telling me to never speak to you again or some other hyper emotive response after I pointed out that you were bullshitting. You're hardly one to comment on how someone responds to one of dozens of instances of racism on their life.

Plenty on here have commented on how Adam Goodes is such an intelligent and lovely person. So when Goodes started to realise that he was slowing a bit, getting on and what he could bring into his game to improve he came up with a brilliant idea. When seeing a 50/50 ball in dispute situation he started to slide in with his feet/knees/legs first, take out the opponents legs/body, get the ball and then dish it out to a team mate. While being protected by his +100kg frame, by his knees/legs sticking out on impact and while having no duty of care if he snaps the opponents legs or worse collide into their head while it’s over the ball. No skin off his nose. Gutless.

Far from clever not to consider that opposition supporters would start to boo him ..... massive oversight. He should have expected what was coming from opposition supporters by adopting such an extremely dangerous and dirty tactic. Big believer in life that everyone is responsible for their own actions and Goodes brought it upon himself. If the booing effected his mental health he needed to take time off to seek professional help no different to anyone else in the community. Compared to the average person Goodes would have much better access and the best support from the medical fraternity.
*yawn*

Yeah I recall Eddie Betts mentioning it. I think he said something along the lines of yeah it's disappointing and it still happens.

That level of calling out racism seems to be a nice comfortable level for Australia in general. It gives us the opportunity to shake our heads and say "that is bad", while at the same time knowing it will blow over quickly and resumtion of normal transmission is just around the corner. Phew.

Goodes' level of calling it out is a bit more uncomfortable, not so much in its aggression or otherwise, but in that he wants us to think about it a bit more. The quick return to status quo is not there. Yeah it's a bit uncomfortable but change (be in attitudes or anything else) often is.

That is the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back