Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Just finished listening to Andy Maher on 'The Carlton Show' and they discussed that our Head of Football and Judd have said that run and dash out of the backline is one of our highest priorities. Didn't mention anyone for targets this off season but they said thats why they have been trying to develop Garlett into that player but it hasnt worked out so far. I'm still of the opinion that our forward line is actually quite potent while lacking a quality small forward pocket, but the delivery is what is lacking to our talls. If what the boys said on the show is true who could we target? I'm still of the opinion Whitfield is the number one option for run and dash with class in the comp but who else is available? Makes me think they are preparing Doc to play in the guts when he returns if that's what Judd and Lloyd are prioritising this off season.

Would say Willo could be that player but he just cannot get on the park so maybe they are looking at the trade market to address it

ArseClown

Kicks on both sides
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The Cats have apparently offered T Kelly $800k for one year and remain staunch on two first rounders from one of the WA teams if he wants out either this year or next. We should get creative here and suggest that he walks to us in the draft for $1m for the year and if he wants out we release him to his WA club of choice for their 1st round pick only.

PostPaolo

All Australian
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If we can get a very good one I'm all for it. I just don't see it as a priority.

At the moment we have Owies, LeBois, Fasolo, Deluca, Garlett on our list and Polson, Murphy, Fisher & Thomas who can play that role then possibly Jack Martin.

Logic says that Owies will stay, LeBois & Fasolo need to do something quick and DeLuca may be more an inside mid. If Murphy is allowed to play small forward I think he can play for another season, Thomas and/or Simpson the same especially with Doc & Willo coming back. Polson I'd like to see play midfield. Garlett I want see play under Teague.

When we have a midfield that has Walsh Dow Stocker Fisher O'Brien Lang Cuningham Gibbons supporting Cripps & Setterfield as well how can we fit them all in? Plus Martin and a couple of others?

I would have it as a high priority for mine. We would probably have the worst group as a whole of small forwards in the comp. Of our current list I don't think anyone projects to become the elite level small forward we're missing and if we're able to attract as like you said a high quality one in Jack Martin or a Tom Papley we should absolutely pounce on it.

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The Cats have apparently offered T Kelly $800k for one year and remain staunch on two first rounders from one of the WA teams if he wants out either this year or next. We should get creative here and suggest that he walks to us in the draft for $1m for the year and if he wants out we release him to his WA club of choice for their 1st round pick only.

Heard there may be a list manager position available at our club next year???

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
That’s big money for Kelly, he’s good but is he $800k a year good? Wonder how he would go in a weaker midfield.

I’m more interested in a bargain, it’s in my bloodlines.

Menegola I would ask the question about.

Well he’s THAT good in that midfield. I mean it’s hard to judge how good someone is on their own in a midfield like that. CRIPPA on the other hand is worth that and more

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Must be a lot of team friendly deals down at Geelong.......

Prem17

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Just finished listening to Andy Maher on 'The Carlton Show' and they discussed that our Head of Football and Judd have said that run and dash out of the backline is one of our highest priorities. Didn't mention anyone for targets this off season but they said thats why they have been trying to develop Garlett into that player but it hasnt worked out so far. I'm still of the opinion that our forward line is actually quite potent while lacking a quality small forward pocket, but the delivery is what is lacking to our talls. If what the boys said on the show is true who could we target? I'm still of the opinion Whitfield is the number one option for run and dash with class in the comp but who else is available? Makes me think they are preparing Doc to play in the guts when he returns if that's what Judd and Lloyd are prioritising this off season.

Would say Willo could be that player but he just cannot get on the park so maybe they are looking at the trade market to address it

Blakely and Langdon come to mind. Blakely was supposed to go into the midfield full time before his injury this year, so he has some flexibility.
If Kelly goes back to a WA club, there could be some bargains to be had. Not sure that WCE would have much room to move after re-signing Gaff last year.

Sluggers Blues

Debutant
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
In my opinion there is still plenty to go
Could go
Simo
Thomas
Murph
Must go
Lobbe
Fasolo
Will be very nervous
Phillips
LAng
Galett
Lebois
Kennedy
Polson
Goddard
I am not saying they all should or will go but I can not see any of them being there in 2 or 3 years and on present and passed exposed fork can not see them playing in our next run to the top
THOMAS MURPHY CAN PROBABLY PLAY ANOTHER COUPLE I'M NOT SO SURE ON SIMMO
CAS AND JONES WILL BE 30 NEXT YEAR SO ARE CLOSER TO THE END THAN START SO THAT MAY SAVE GODDARD
OUT OF THE REST I WOULD PROBABLY KEEP KENNEDY GARLETT AND POLSON AND PHILLPS FOR 1 MORE YEAR

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Blakely and Langdon come to mind. Blakely was supposed to go into the midfield full time before his injury this year, so he has some flexibility.
If Kelly goes back to a WA club, there could be some bargains to be had. Not sure that WCE would have much room to move after re-signing Gaff last year.
Connor Blakey 23yrs 188cm 86kg, his a WA boy who's on the comeback trail from a 12 week hamstring tear, I'm not sure if his getable but runs out of contract this year very good tough up and coming midfielder who can also play in a variety of positions, he'd be sensational for Cripps and the rest of the youngsters as well. Big yes...

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

doc will still be the quarterback of this team. after 2 ACLs it might be restricted to a organisational and kicking type role like shannon hurn rather than running.

Willo will definitely be in the picture for that role but we need some capable role players to play that position in case his body fails him.

I think seedsman from the crows would be very gettable. there's no place for him in the starting 22 with smith laird and milera.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
In my opinion there is still plenty to go
Could go
Simo
Thomas
Murph
Must go
Lobbe
Fasolo
Will be very nervous
Phillips
LAng
Galett
Lebois
Kennedy
Polson
Goddard
I am not saying they all should or will go but I can not see any of them being there in 2 or 3 years and on present and passed exposed fork can not see them playing in our next run to the top
THOMAS MURPHY CAN PROBABLY PLAY ANOTHER COUPLE I'M NOT SO SURE ON SIMMO
CAS AND JONES WILL BE 30 NEXT YEAR SO ARE CLOSER TO THE END THAN START SO THAT MAY SAVE GODDARD
OUT OF THE REST I WOULD PROBABLY KEEP KENNEDY GARLETT AND POLSON AND PHILLPS FOR 1 MORE YEAR
I'd say Simmo one more year Thomas Kennedy go around again Garlett if he keeps improving on weekends effort Goddard has had a solid year and building nicely .. A lot depends on our trades ...

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
That’s big money for Kelly, he’s good but is he $800k a year good? Wonder how he would go in a weaker midfield.

I’m more interested in a bargain, it’s in my bloodlines.

Menegola I would ask the question about.

If they keep Kelly names like Menegola Constable Parfitt could become available. Any of these would be good for us

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
doc will still be the quarterback of this team. after 2 ACLs it might be restricted to a organisational and kicking type role like shannon hurn rather than running.

Willo will definitely be in the picture for that role but we need some capable role players to play that position in case his body fails him.

I think seedsman from the crows would be very gettable. there's no place for him in the starting 22 with smith laird and milera.

Doc Willo will make a difference plus we have Schumacher developing. SPS has looked very good when going back. Hope Teague gives Garlett & Lang a decent go at it as they trained for it in the pre season.

Leg speed isn’t the key from defence, it’s ball use and we have great skills coming from defence if all fit

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
Really well thought out and reasoned post gbatman.
I like and dislike a few, but love your reasoning. Would love to get Taranto but cannot see GWS letting him go at any cost. Would give us 3 of the very best mids in the AFL.

There are a few I could add:

1. Apparently (last nights news) there is team disharmony at Adelaide. Could we chase out of contract (OOC) Reilly O'Brien (ruck)? Still young and has upside, plus gives TDK more time to develop/depth. The angst of doing this trade would be interesting... and not sure we could get it done unless he was prepared to walk.

2. Could we try for one of Richmonds excess small forwards who want more games. Liam Baker is OOC and looks a beauty, was a rookie, only 21yo, only played 12 games, so could be cheapish (2nd rounder?), but rising star nomination may push higher. Else Shai Bolton or Dan Butler may be cheap OOC options.

3. Other notable OOC's are: Jack Billings (wing), Luke Dunstan (mid), Harry Cunningham (25yo Syd RFA), Caleb Daniel (def) or Josh Dunkley (mid). Sydney are cap squeezed and Cunningham also plays out of defence so could fill a need and add quality (Simpson replacement?) for a low cost. But Lisfranc history could be a worry and his upside is nowhere near as high as Taranto.
Baker is a gun!

AB_Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 26, 2011
"South of the border"
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Doc Willo will make a difference plus we have Schumacher developing. SPS has looked very good when going back. Hope Teague gives Garlett & Lang a decent go at it as they trained for it in the pre season.

Leg speed isn’t the key from defence, it’s ball use and we have great skills coming from defence if all fit

Garlett can’t defend but he can pressure

I think he did okay in the forward line last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back