10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Barry Stoneham.
CHF
CHB
Ruck

Alastair Lynch and David Neitz both genuine AA level forwards and backs.

Some one like Leppitsch was a failed forward who ended up a defender. Chris Tarrant was a poor defender despite all the gushing by commentators.

I know Pav was an AA as both but was it truly deserved or was it just to get him in the side because he was too good not to be there? Like mids getting picked as forwards?

Even though he copped a lot of criticism Justin Koschitzke won the rising star playing CHB, rucked and played second fiddle to Riewoldt up front with a career best of 48 goals in 2009.
I feel like Riewoldt funnily enough won his Rising Star (and a B&F for good measure) playing CHB too.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ron Mckeown?

Jon Ballanytne for the Bulldogs?

1990's players. Ballantyne played full back I believe but kicked 8 goals playing FF or perhaps was used both positions. Mckeown kicked 5 in a final against the Saints in 1992.

just googled this and the end is fitting with the Op's description

Ron McKeown (born 10 May 1967) is a former Australian rules footballer who played with Collingwood in the Victorian/Australian Football League (VFL/AFL).

McKeown, originally from Macleod, was just 17 when he made his VFL debut in 1984 and finished the year in a losing preliminary final side. A full-back, he was often used with success up forward and in a game against Essendon in 1986 he kicked eight goals at Waverley Park.[1]

Although he had made 20 appearances in 1990, McKeown didn't play in Collingwood's semi final win and wasn't able to force his way back into the team for the grand final.[2]

He took time away from the game during the 1991 season after his twins, who were born prematurely, died but still played 18 rounds.[3]

In the 1992 elimination final he kicked five goals however Collingwood were defeated by St Kilda. McKeown finished the season with 29 goals from just 13 games.

His VFL career ended after the 1993 season but he continued playing football and was the leading goal-kicker in the second division of the Diamond Valley Football League in 1999, with 114 goals for Whittlesea.

McKeown was also a talented cricketer. He played with Bellfield Cricket Club in the HDCA, captaining and coaching the club to A Grade success. His career spanned from 1980–2001, amassing 6242 runs at 40.27 with 13 centuries. He was also more than handy with the ball, taking 149 wickets at 22.60.

:)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Matera was obviously mainly a wingman but did play a lot of half back in his latter career. Additionally he did play some brief moments at Full Forward. I remember against Brisbane in 1995 in Perth he went in the goal square in the last quarter. He kicked 5 for the term! Finished with 6 for the match. 1998 on a Friday Night vs the Dons at the G he kicked 7 goals for West Coast out of their 11 in a match winning display.

* that guy was exceptional.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Craig Sholl for North?

Geoff Miles

John Hutton played FF not sure if he spent some time at FB.

Ben Graham for Geelong and Mark Graham for the Hawks although Graham for the Hawks rarely spent anytime forward. Did kick a couple on Sumich in 97 after leaving his man for a counter attack:)

Last edited:
Barry Stoneham.
CHF
CHB
Ruck

Alastair Lynch and David Neitz both genuine AA level forwards and backs.

Some one like Leppitsch was a failed forward who ended up a defender. Chris Tarrant was a poor defender despite all the gushing by commentators.

I know Pav was an AA as both but was it truly deserved or was it just to get him in the side because he was too good not to be there? Like mids getting picked as forwards?
He did play most of that season in defence. Though from what I read it was more of a loose man sort of role than a proper key defender?

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The criminally underrated Scott Lucas. Kicked 60 goals as second fiddle to Lloyd in 2000. Went to CHB and won the B&F. Went back to the forward line. Played FF when Lloyd went down for a year, winning the B&F again and finishing second in the Coleman.
Memory is a funny thing. I was always a big Lucas fan, just seemed the dorky older brother to pinup boy Lloyd, but for whatever reason I completely forgot he used to also play in defence. All my memories of him is as a forward.

Peter Knights was one I was too young to see but always gets spoken about.

Braddles is probably the best recent swingman. Fantastic down back and kicked a bunch as a forward. Pav as well, but he did everything including midfield.

Recently, Roughead and Lake could go either end if needed. Taylor from Geelong, McGovern can go forward and kick goals.

Versatility is underrated in the modern game.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Just remember fellas I'm talking about people that are genuinely really good at both ends of the ground, hence the idea "allrounders", not just someone who you can maybe swing up to the other end as a coverall.

I'm talking a Kallis or Sobers not a Mitchell Starc or a Glenn Maxwell!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Matera was obviously mainly a wingman but did play a lot of half back in his latter career. Additionally he did play some brief moments at Full Forward. I remember against Brisbane in 1995 in Perth he went in the goal square in the last quarter. He kicked 5 for the term! Finished with 6 for the match. 1998 on a Friday Night vs the Dons at the G he kicked 7 goals for West Coast out of their 11 in a match winning display.

**** that guy was exceptional.

s**t, if that's your threshold then we may as well chuck Ablett Snr in, genuine AA wing / hff / ff, played a handful of games off half back and even marked Dunstall late one game at fullback down at Kardinia Park after Dunstall has as usual tore us a new one for 3 quarters.

I'm sure Carey must have started a bounce here an there at CHB.

Matthew Croft - played key forward and back, played his first few games on the wing due to his skill & endurance.

Scott Lucas perhaps the most underrated - it's been detailed above but he was unfairly in Lloyd's shadow as he was a brilliant player in his own right.

Has Bradshaw from the Lions been mentioned yet? I seem to remember he playing everywhere and playing well, although he spent more time forward.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Shaun Burgoyne. Week to week, will play somewhere between back pocket, inside midfielder or half forward flank

Edit: not a key position player, oops.

Pavlich and Goodes are probably the best pair since 2000

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The criminally underrated Scott Lucas. Kicked 60 goals as second fiddle to Lloyd in 2000. Went to CHB and won the B&F. Went back to the forward line. Played FF when Lloyd went down for a year, winning the B&F again and finishing second in the Coleman.
Scott Lucas wasn't "criminally underrated". If anything, he was overrated.

14 finals - 17 goals, 17 behinds

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was he not in the OP?

Though SOS is a weird one. Not that he wasn't a very capable forward, but he was mostly an emergency option as a forward, he was 90% a fullback. Your Grants, Glendinnings, Cornes, etc. played lots of footy at both ends of the grounds.
If he spent all year there 1 year could have easily kicked 80 odd I reckon. Was just super strong and quick at his peak. I remember a game in the early 90s where he tore us apart kicking 8 goals on Chris Langford out at Princess Park. For his size was also very agile and he just made Langers look silly that day.

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If he spent all year there 1 year could have easily kicked 80 odd I reckon. Was just super strong and quick at his peak. I remember a game in the early 90s where he tore us apart kicking 8 goals on Chris Langford out at Princess Park. For his size was also very agile and he just made Langers look silly that day.
Silvagni kicked 10 in a game and two bags of 8 so had a heap of talent up forward.
Had Kernahan not been so durable would have been fascinating to see what would had happened had he been needed to go forward for a long period of time.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Silvagni kicked 10 in a game and two bags of 8 so had a heap of talent up forward.
Had Kernahan not been so durable would have been fascinating to see what would had happened had he been needed to go forward for a long period of time.
He was as big as the key forwards are now so no reason he couldn't have been a force to be reckoned with.

Back