Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a feeling that he'll play one more year with us then move to you guys.

I would bet both my testicles that Kelly will not sign a one year deal.

Now is his chance to get a 5 year deal worth close to $5m to set him and his family up for life.

The guy could break a leg in a one year deal and lose millions risking that on a one year contract.

Now is his chance to get a 5 year deal worth close to $5m to set him and his family up for life.

The guy could break a leg in a one year deal and lose millions risking that on a one year contract.
How about 5x1 year deals

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
The chances of us getting nothing is laughable... A deal will get done..
I also think a deal will get done. Geelong will have to take whatever the dockers or eagles offer. Or of course Geelong could tempt him to stay

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
An offer we now know was massive unders.

Geelong knew at the time. Impressive from the Cats which you’d agree with.
The Cats were never going to deal in good faith when they could keep him on rookie money for another season. Hopefully other teams remember this after the crows in good faith let danger go home with no resistance

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

See below. Looking more and more likely he’s a Cat next season at least.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
I have a bad feeling Freo will have the better picks this year and a deal will be done with them. They *should* have the better first rounder. Especially if they get the pies second round pick for Langdon who is rumoured to be wanting to play with his bro at the pies. We have Sydney's second round pick so I suppose its a case of whether you prefer the better first rounder, or the (probably significantly) better second rounder (unless the Swans from here on come from the clouds and make a semi final, knowing the Swans I wouldnt rule that out :sick:). One of his kids was very recently diagnosed with autism and I think that has all but confirmed his relocation back to WA this offseason.
It’s cute that you think that.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
See below. Looking more and more likely he’s a Cat next season at least.

Ha. I just suggested that on the Eagles board not 1 minute ago.:thumbsu:

Said that the only way the Cats could keep him was a five year deal giving him security with some form of agreement he would be traded to the club of his choice for agreed trade terms if he wanted to move.

Also suggested the Cats would need to pay more than the WA clubs offer as a 'living away from home allowance' of sorts.

Kelly holds the whip here. And now it is starting to show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks

Said that the only way the Cats could keep him was a five year deal giving him security with some form of agreement he would be traded to the club of his choice for agreed trade terms if he wanted to move.

Also suggested the Cats would need to pay more than the WA clubs offer as a 'living away from home allowance' of sorts.

Agree. 5 years on more money than Danger could definitely get him to stay at Geelong.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Of course he does. I think that sort of a deal may appease his spouse too. Gives them both financial security but an ability to get home in a year of their choice. It’s actually quite an inspired deal under the circumstances. I think most fans would applaud it.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Of course he does. I think that sort of a deal may appease his spouse too. Gives them both financial security but an ability to get home in a year of their choice. It’s actually quite an inspired deal under the circumstances. I think most fans would applaud it.

Geelong or any club would need an out clause in it also, injury or complete drop of form could effect future recruiting and cap issues?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that may be a risk that a club (Geelong) would need to carry. As in any long term contract.

The same article about the one year deal said a long term deal was offered and is preferred by Geelong but wasn't accepted.

It's smart business to try and convince him to stay short term if he won't commit for 5 years but I'm not sure he'll sign if good deals are on offer over here. Judd played 3 X 2 year deals here, players don't have to sign long term.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
So Geelong have apparently offered a 1 + 1 deal. $800k for 2020, the same or more in 2021 if he chooses to stay. If he chooses to return to WA then we end up at exactly the same place as we did last year and probably will this year if he doesn't sign. He can only choose to leave if and when Geelong are satisfied, so it's not really a get out clause... also isn't he worth $1m+? $800k x 2 years probaby wouldn't even trigger band 1 compo for a free agent, $800k x 1 year certainly wouldn't.

Smart play from the Cats, but WC should just follow up with a lesser money deal over a longer term. According to Sam Maclure (so probably wrong) he doesn't want a long term deal in Geelong which has already been offered. So do you want $800k for a year in Geelong or $650k a year for 5 years in Perth?
He could go to Freo. They should be able to stump up the 800K, if not more, as well as a longer term deal.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The geelong football clubs interest is to get what’s in its best interest and if that’s getting him home to Fremantle instead then we need to push that. We owe Tim kelly nothing except the offer of a good next contract which we will do.

I’m not sure why you believe we owe him anything. He has only served our club two years. I couldn’t care two cents where kelly feels like playing. And Stephen wells sure showed already that he doesn’t either
Kelly is uncontracted . Geelong have no say in where he goes apart from saying no to the trade .
Carlton have had much better picks than a lot of clubs but dont get a look in because the player doesnt want to go to carlton .

Why should the kelly deal be any different ?

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Going off the precedent we have for similar players brander + two first rounders is very reasonable. Brander is two AFL seasons in and shown nothing.

Similar standard players are the apples, yes. Devon Smith similar level to Tim kelly, treloar and shiel?

Just stop posting mate.
Brander has shown way more than kelly at 18 -19 years . Just a few more years and brander will be worth the number 1 pick and pick 10

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Kelly is uncontracted . Geelong have no say in where he goes apart from saying no to the trade .
Carlton have had much better picks than a lot of clubs but dont get a look in because the player doesnt want to go to carlton .

Why should the kelly deal be any different ?

Geelong has every say because their word is final. If he had learnt a thing or two and actually wants to get home and not embarrass himself like he did last offseason. Then he will open up to Fremantle as well.

The kelly deal is no different, and look at the treloar shiel trade deals for your no different precedent of how it should work since your talking about no different. I absolutely agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back