List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Rob has a conundrum this week with 4 readymade injury replacements, all coming off long term injuries and ready to go.
Arguably, Hill, Bennell, Logue and Darcy are best 22 under normal circumstances.
Plus we all understand Rob’s wont to have Ballantyne in his team.

Interesting news that Silvagni will more then likely do his own thing and quit Carlton this year.. was only a lunch with business partners
Yeah there was a “story” that maybe in fact ross was quizzing sos on list manages position at freo?? Wtf?-
Just click bait but I’d actually go postal if they hired sos for anything list wise ...-absolute fraud of list manager, hope he stays st Carlton and destroys them from the inside👍

Last edited:

Yeah there was a “story” that maybe in fact ross was quizzing sos on list manages position at freo?? Wtf?-
Just click bait but I’d actually go postal if they hired sos for anything list wise ...-absolute fraud of list manager, hope he stays st Carlton and destroys them from the inside👍
Absolute fraud
West Coast want a new list manager? Then Ross and SOS can still catch up.

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon is losing his confidant and senior assistant Stephen Silvagni.
The former Carlton champion will complete his coaching duties for the rest of the season before starting the next phase of his football life.

It is the second coaching shock for the Saints in only a couple of months, with veteran midfield coach Tony Elshaug quitting without notice mid-season.

"I just think it's time," Silvagni said.

"I've really enjoyed my time here. St Kilda and Ross gave me the opportunity to be a full-time assistant; they've been fantastic."

Asked if he still harboured hopes of coaching in his own right, he said: "I've got some opportunities I'm looking at."

Silvagni, full-back in the AFL's team of the 20th century, is in his fourth year in charge of St Kilda's defence.

"It's hard walking away from a club that's going places," he said.

Lyon said his close friend would have happily moved on had the Saints won the 2009 premiership.

"He goes with my blessing; he's been a great supporter to me. He'll do something, but he's not going coaching. I think he's seen enough to know he doesn't want to coach," Lyon said.

"I'll miss him, but it's probably the right time. Four years is about the right length for an assistant."

Silvagni was reluctant to expand on his decision, with the finals just five weeks away. It is not known if the players know of his decision.

Silvagni, 43, joined the Saints with Lyon in 2007 after coaching roles of varying length at Collingwood, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs.

He is not expected to return to Carlton.

RTB will be required to earn his money this week. We know that our best can now knock off anyone but we've been dealt hammer blows to our gun players and the next to step up need to do the job. Can we plug and play the talls and let the Lyon system continue against a side with similar make the 8 aspirations? As important a game in Ross's career as any.

RTB will be required to earn his money this week. We know that our best can now knock off anyone but we've been dealt hammer blows to our gun players and the next to step up need to do the job. Can we plug and play the talls and let the Lyon system continue against a side with similar make the 8 aspirations? As important a game in Ross's career as any.

We win this we play finals imo

He was suggesting Bell moves to CEO and SOS takes Head of footy dept leaving our new list manager as is

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crazy talk - Bell was put in his current position without experience. CEO is a fair step up again.

Despite all the non specific catastrophised talk about our culture from some on this board, the club has transitioned to post Lloyd and Bond very well so far. Leadership transition is one of the most difficult tasks in an organisation and is in part why stability and long tenure can sometimes be a large part of success. It would seem, from the outside, that the club has handled the transition very well. Ross would be crazy to move on now when the most difficult part of the rebuild is behind us and club leadership is strong.

Yeah Rosich is contracted as well, and he has a clause that he can leave if he gets a job at the afl I have heard

Wouldn’t like to see any changes which feature Peter Bell at this point in time.
Wouldn’t want Silvagni at any time.

I'm operating on the assumption its a beat up, but one small possibility is that is an attempt by Lyon to defang Bell a bit by sticking his mate into the org structure in order to reduce Bells direct reports. E.G. have all the off field football departments report to SOS (List Management, NGA etc.). So Bells only direct reports become SOS and Lyon himself, rather than currently where Lyon, Micallef and Mzungu etc. presumably all report direct to Bell individually.

Yes I realise it's a long bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm operating on the assumption its a beat up, but one small possibility is that is an attempt by Lyon to defang Bell a bit by sticking his mate into the org structure in order to reduce Bells direct reports. E.G. have all the off field football departments report to SOS (List Management, NGA etc.). So Bells only direct reports become SOS and Lyon himself, rather than currently where Lyon, Micallef and Mzungu etc. presumably all report direct to Bell individually.

It's an incredibly long bow considering Ross would have nothing to do with hiring people outside of coaches, and especially not people above or sideways from him.

It's an incredibly long bow considering Ross would have nothing to do with hiring people outside of coaches, and especially not people above or sideways from him.
Obviously it also involves convincing the CEO it's a good idea.

For the record I'm not actually super comfortable with the sight of Belly, GM of football, stomping around on matchday with whiteboards and giving quarter time interviews. This seems like going past helping out (Bondy use to help run the interchange from memory?) to borderline interference. In my view the head of footy can't be managing the whole of the footy department and meaningfully concentrate on matchday detail to any significant degree.

Obviously it also involves convincing the CEO it's a good idea.

For the record I'm not actually super comfortable with the sight of Belly, GM of football, stomping around on matchday with whiteboards and giving quarter time interviews. This seems like going past helping out (Bondy use to help run the interchange from memory?) to borderline interference. In my view the head of footy can't be managing the whole of the footy department and meaningfully concentrate on matchday detail to any significant degree.
Yeah but it needs to be someone with footy experience to relay messages, SOS assuming that role would be great.

On a separate train of thought it could be bells way of staying involved in elements of the club that are important.
Come do think of it I don't think holding up boards and relaying messages would have to much prep like how hard could it be.

Wouldn’t want Silvagni at any time.
We could use some assistant coaches with experience and Sylvagni fits that criteria with 4 years at Saints with Lyon. If Lyon rates him and he wants to come to Perth, he would be a very decent option.

With his list management, I think he needed stronger over-sight. It was clearly unbalanced. But the idea of luring GWS players is one other clubs have also been doing (Lobb and McCarthy), though obviously not to the level Carlton did. I wouldn't be letting him anywhere near our list management unless the ex-WA players on Carlton's list had their names in the ring.

Ross doesn't need a yes man like Silvagni as an assistant, he needs someone with the gravitas and balls to challenge him
And he is a "yes man" based on what exactly?

I think what we need is an experienced assistant coach who potentially can transition into the senior role.

Based on his cv I struggle to see how Silvagni is any better than what we’ve already got? Except perhaps experience at other clubs which when the clubs are GWS and Carlton is no big deal.

I doubt SOS would move across the country, disrupt his wife’s media commitments and distance himself from his children all to be a puppet to leverage power for the unfounded assumptions about Ross’s tenuous working relationship with Belly.

Back