News Giants in the Media

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-07/footy-phil-adam-tomlinson

Adam Tomlinson is the latest GIANT to feature on The Footy Phil Podcast.
Speaking to GIANTS co-captain Phil Davis and GIANTS Media’s Alison Zell, the wingman explains how he developed his love for running and his abnormally large lungs.
The 25-year-old also speaks about his interest in golf and cricket (and his man-crush on Trent Copeland), while detailing how dog Bonnie is recovering from another ACL reconstruction.
After plenty of banter, Davis asks the serious questions of Tomlinson and how he feels when his name is the subject of trade rumours year-on-year.
The pair recount their days living together in the inner-west suburb of Lilyfield before the two have an in-depth recap of the GIANTS’ win over St Kilda at UNSW Canberra Oval.
Tomlinson, Davis and Zell talk about their love for Thursday night footy and look across at how the competition is positioned after seven rounds – plus when it’s appropriate to make the big calls on All Australians, Brownlow voting and premiership favourites.
And it wouldn’t be a current podcast without a little Game of Thrones chat at the end.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Tomlinson was also interviewed on SEN tonight on the way into a Movember event. Was a really good interview and he speaks superbly. Makes you realise how many good leaders the Giants actually have. Seems a guy with a real social conscience. Great listen.

The Neroli Meadows interview with Toby on the other hand.... (if you missed it you didn't miss anything).

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-21/team-of-the-week-r9-who-makes-the-cut

Lachie Whitfield - Forward Flank

Jeremy Finlayson - Full Forward

Matt de Boer - Interchange

What a win, great recognition especially to Matt. Every drop he has been given has completed this year.

The tagger is back, pitty Leon did play that role when we played Freo

Again - what a great win, now to back it up :thumbsu:

He did. They tagged Hill, but should have tagged Fyfe.

Meant Fyfe shouldve been tagged and maybe Williams / Reid on Hill

Regardless Matt has had a fantastic season thus far

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just noticed this weekly series, I've missed it up till now! http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/unsung-heroes-round-10-3/

UNSUNG HEROES — ROUND 10

Each week, AFLPlayers.com.au looks at the players who flew under the radar in their team’s victory. Whether it was a moment of impact or a four-quarter performance, these are the Round 10 Unsung Heroes.

GWS Giants: Jeremy Finlayson

It was a dominant display from the GWS Giants forward line on Sunday with Harry Himmelberg and Jeremy Cameron combining for eight goals and with Melbourne’s defenders having their hands full, Jeremy Finalyson flew under the radar. Finlayson took nine marks, including four inside 50, and was involved in six scores while kicking one goal of his own to bring his tally to 22 goals from 10 games in 2019.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's a notable previous article, too, on Phil Davis' captaincy - written by Tommo! http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/captain-phil/

CAPTAIN PHIL
By Adam Tomlinson May 17, 2019

My first impressions of Phil… well, it’s a bit of an interesting one actually.

When I started at the Giants as an 18-year-old, I didn’t really know what I was walking into.

As one of our three co-captains at the time, Phil stood tall. Although he was only 22, it felt as though he was 10 years older than the rest of us.

Having been at Adelaide for two seasons prior, he knew what it was like to be in an AFL environment. He was the perfect person to look up to in terms of what to do and how to go about your life as a professional.

Since that time, he’s only grown in his role as co-captain with Callan Ward. Like me, Phil can be a bit of a stress-head but over time he’s learnt that you can only control what you can control and there is so much beyond that.

As he grew, he shifted his focus to things he could control. One of which is his performance on the field. Focussing on his footballing ability, he’s been able to take his performance to an outstanding level and at the same time bring the boys along with him.

From the outside, people don’t know how much time and effort he puts into the playing group as a whole. The impact that he’s had around the club and the way he leads by example has enabled him to improve players in different areas.

Before becoming a board member of the AFL Players’ Association, he was a long-time delegate. As a new club filled with young men who hadn’t played AFL before, our understanding of the system was limited. Phil drove our understanding of what the PA do and how we can best maximise our time in the game and we’re now able to reap the rewards because of him.

Away from the football field, he’s different to the Phil you come up against each weekend. On the field, he’s Phil the full-back and co-captain of the Giants but when he’s not there, he’s just your regular guy.

The amount of care he shows for everyone – coaches, administration staff and players – is incredible. Phil always takes a vested interest in who you are and what you do. His ability to understand everyone and manage being a captain and a friend, is amazing.

The one thing that always come to mind when I reflect on Phil as a person is how much of a fighter he is. There are people who don’t understand the extent of his kidney injury from 2014 but I witnessed first-hand just how serious it was because I was living with him at the time.

for the rest - read the full article!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Can't disagree with that article. I have always been one who's said the draftees should be pushing him out of the team, but I take my hat off to him for his form this year - he's not letting those first rounders push him out without a hard fight. If we go deep into this season, it will be on the back of the dramatic improvement shown by guys like Sam & Jeremy Finlayson (as well as good form of our stars, of course).

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Was pleased to see today that GWS has once again topped their all time members tally...

How do you sydneysiders feel the Giants are tracking? Would you say they’re one of Sydney’s ‘big teams’ yet? - surely everyone knows of them by now.

Was pleased to see today that GWS has once again topped their all time members tally...

How do you sydneysiders feel the Giants are tracking? Would you say they’re one of Sydney’s ‘big teams’ yet? - surely everyone knows of them by now.
not yet, win a flag and we will be, sydney loves winners above all else

how much of Sydney do you reckon would decide they were giants supporters if they made the GF?

Everyone, at least temporarily.

Back