2019 Draft thread

1559639762103.png

This is tantalising. Curious to know what we'll be doing in regards to our academy's future development. Now that we're playing an exciting brand of footy and winning we should be in a good position to attract a lot more kids into playing footy and offering decent development pathways for those that wish to pursue it. Harris and Hippy great poster boys for the Academy.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
WA thumped Vic Metro in the U18 Championships today.
:oops: Thought Vic Metro we’re going to be strong this year? Maybe just a few at the top end but fall away. As you know the stronger the Vic teams especially Metro then the better the draft quality (supposedly). Anyone stand out from WA?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Vic Country smashed the Allies today.

Lachlan Ash and Caleb Serong star for Vic Country.

Mitch O’Neill the star for the Allies. Lightly framed, smaller mid, can play inside and out, and on the wing.
6B96B069-97AF-47E4-BA70-9B0487551F9E.png

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Allies vs Vic C scouting notes from AFL Draft Central

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/201...gzb2xgNfgxSsEdyfNA6FoTy88vqnxbL8TqBB26lDhEay8

#15 Will Martyn
Martyn was a busy player through the midfield winning the hard ball but also working hard on transition to either take marks or be a part of a chain of handballs through the middle. He showed good composure with ball in hand and had a good bit of play in the first quarter, showing his nice movement under pressure. He had a chance to hit the scoreboard but wouldn’t quite make the distance with a set shot at goal. Martyn finished the game with 16 disposals and five clearances.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What’s the general feeling of what type of player/s we require? Personally I would be happy with a cross section and in no particular order - Ruckman, taller inside midfielder, running HBF/wing, small forward. Thoughts?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
What’s the general feeling of what type of player/s we require? Personally I would be happy with a cross section and in no particular order - Ruckman, taller inside midfielder, running HBF/wing, small forward. Thoughts?
I'm dead set against drafting a ruckman particularly in the top 20 or so selections, later rounds, rookie or mature age trade, or state league drafting. Besides that I totally agree with the needs you listed. I haven't followed the draft class as closely this year but I'm sure briztoon would be able to offer up options to fit your types required, I know briz is very bullish on Lachlan Ash, he's likely to be a top 10 selection though so we probably wont have the pick to get him.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Assuming we keep our picks I'd say inside mids and running HBF/wing are our two biggest needs, with ruckman not too far behind. Maybe more of a forward ruck type than a genuine ruck but that depends on how the club views our current ruck options behind Stef.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With rucks I think best to get someone ready who cannot get a game from another club rather then draft a kid.
If Martin retires in the next year or two we will need another ruck sooner then later.

I say we looking for a fast H/B or winger this year. or 2-3 of them :)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm dead set against drafting a ruckman particularly in the top 20 or so selections, later rounds, rookie or mature age trade, or state league drafting. Besides that I totally agree with the needs you listed. I haven't followed the draft class as closely this year but I'm sure briztoon would be able to offer up options to fit your types required, I know briz is very bullish on Lachlan Ash, he's likely to be a top 10 selection though so we probably wont have the pick to get him.
Thanks for the mention jason pm. I’m pretty sure jjami15 follows the draft as much as me and has a handle on this years draft crop, he just doesn’t post as much as me. And I know there are others as well as well.

I’m not against drafting a ruck, but there are other needs I have ahead of ruck.

There’s a SA kid in next years draft that might be better than this years rucks, Riley Thilthorpe. He was an AAU16 and had been described as a Brodie Grundy type ruck.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I'm not sure about a taller inside mid, unless there are already genuine questions whether Ely Smith can fill that role or not.

I agree we still need to bolster the midfield, but I'm not sure there will be a better prospect at our first pick than the kids we drafted last year. I'd prefer to trade in a ready made, best 22 mid if possible.

Like most of last years draftees, I expect most of our draftees this year to take a year or two before playing first team football.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not fully across this draft. Aware of same names and due to the fact that we are picking later it’s harder to gauge. I am also of the mindset of trying to trade in a more mature player but not fully sure of whom. I still believe that you need an undercurrent of youth/draftees coming into your club but my main concern with picking later it becomes harder to find that diamond in the rough. With where our picks fall it might be more beneficial to use this years earlier picks for trading.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not fully across this draft. Aware of same names and due to the fact that we are picking later it’s harder to gauge. I am also of the mindset of trying to trade in a more mature player but not fully sure of whom. I still believe that you need an undercurrent of youth/draftees coming into your club but my main concern with picking later it becomes harder to find that diamond in the rough. With where our picks fall it might be more beneficial to use this years earlier picks for trading.
Yup, that’s my thought as well.

I believe we’re likely to match bids on Coleman and Martyn, and we’re upgrading McInerney.

My only caveat to trading our first pick is that a running defender might be a position of depth in this draft, and I’d rather pick the best available to us.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not sure about a taller inside mid, unless there are already genuine questions whether Ely Smith can fill that role or not.

I agree we still need to bolster the midfield, but I'm not sure there will be a better prospect at our first pick than the kids we drafted last year. I'd prefer to trade in a ready made, best 22 mid if possible.

Like most of last years draftees, I expect most of our draftees this year to take a year or two before playing first team football.

Id love another bigger bodied mid this draft BUT most the top mids in talked up in top 30ish, are sub 188cm,
Think Noah Anderson is 190cm but he will be gone by our 1st.

The one who i am really interested in is Louis Butler, and who is having a great u18s carnival for VM 183cm rebounding defender, good ball user and likes to take the game on.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Id love another bigger bodied mid this draft BUT most the top mids in talked up in top 30ish, are sub 188cm,

The one who i am really interested in is Louis Butler, and who is having a great u18s carnival for VM 183cm rebounding defender, good ball user and likes to take the game on.

I agree with needing another big body. Watching us unable to contain Cripps on the weekend was frustrating, but it was obvious that the only player that would have been able to take him on is another 190+ body like Berry. If Berry is in then it’s all good but he was just injured and does seem to miss 1-4 games every season with a small injury. I think we need to pick up another big midfielder. I trust our scouts and if they can find someone late I’d go for it. RCD was the main player I really wanted to slip to our pick last year but he got picked up just before us.

I love that we have Joyce, Smith and others developing. However, Joyce and Smith are smaller in size. The only other player I’d be hopeful for is McFadyen, but I still feel like we are cursed with midfielders in our academy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There’s likely to be a couple of taller mids available around our first two picks. Just don’t expect them to be as well rounded as JBerry.

Cooper Stephens from the Geelong Falcons, and Trent Rivers from East Fremantle WA are the two names a few draft watchers mention around our picks. Of the two, Rivers is the kid who cracks in the hardest.

Yeah, eDPS has mentioned that Butler would be a good fit for us, as long as 4-5 weeks ago.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brodie Kemp will be one to keep an eye on for that bigger inside mid. Plays mid for local and hbf for vic country. Be around our first but if he has a big back end of the year possibly to rise.

Back