World Cup Day 14 Australia v Pakistan @ Taunton

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyon for mine. Leave Zampa to play with Stoinis on the bench.

Stoinis on the first plane to Antarctica please with a one way ticket please!

Zampa should be the spinner if conditions suit.

match 17 of 45 completed haha so much talk of "need to qualify for finals" ... it's ages away :p

Depends how many games are washed out. We get the win against SL that should almost be enough.

There wasn’t much in it, I don’t think you could blame the controlling umpire at all for giving it not out. You’ve got the faintest of edges and the crowd noise into the bargain. Between them they arrived at the right decision to review.

A textbook example of how the system should work.

Not blaming anyone. I initially thought it was not out myself. However, when you're in this situation where you have a review up your sleeve, you're desperate for a wicket, and your wicketkeeper thinks the batsman nicked it, you just have to call it. Imagine how it would have looked if he didn't, and Pakistan won the game and it was found Wahab Riaz had nicked the ball.

Agreed. And a semi final loss wouldn't be a horrible result for this team tbh. For us to sneak the Cup, we'd have to finish in a position where we play NZ in the Semi, then play a blinder in the final against a better line up in England or India.
Yep, we're ranked 5th for a reason.
Making the semi's would be a decent result.

Won't stop the knives of course.

Agreed. And a semi final loss wouldn't be a horrible result for this team tbh. For us to sneak the Cup, we'd have to finish in a position where we play NZ in the Semi, then play a blinder in the final against a better line up in England or India.

Yeah looking at the big picture and how much the odi side has struggled even making the semi finals would be a decent world cup for us, we aren't one of the favourites but it's still hard to shake the old feeling that anything short of a wc win is a failure.

The first ball was centimetres away from a wicket, get a clue.
I should have added the caveat of 'Useless at everything right now'. He's averaging less than 22 with the bat and over 56 with the ball so far in this World Cup. He's a great fielder and i have still hold out hope he'll come good but he'd want to find some form pretty damn soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not blaming anyone. I initially thought it was not out myself. However, when you're in this situation where you have a review up your sleeve, you're desperate for a wicket, and your wicketkeeper thinks the batsman nicked it, you just have to call it. Imagine how it would have looked if he didn't, and Pakistan won the game and it was found Wahab Riaz had nicked the ball.

I guess they were only six overs from the end, but you don’t want to exhaust that option with cricket left to play if you’re not pretty confident. That has to be weighed against the level of “desperate”. Yeah, it was a critical moment, and the skipper came through.

A win is a win, expect some changes to the bowling attack next game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stoinis on the first plane to Antarctica please with a one way ticket please!

No, let him come back for the Stars so he can stink in up in the BBL final against the Renegades again.

I thought it was a very enjoyable game of cricket to watch, with multiple swings of momentum and the game still well up in the air till Wahab's wicket. He was really threatening to pull that out of the fire.

Both teams probably left quite a few runs out on the field, which is a bit strange because I thought the deck was zipping around a bit. Definitely not the belter we are used to seeing in one day cricket (and what a nice change to see the batsmen jumping around a bit as well).

But I don't think either team bowled particularly well and the only bowler that was able to consistently exploit the deck was Mohammad Amir, who bowled brilliantly. 5/30 are great figures and they probably don't do him justice. Cummins bowled well for us, and even though he didn't quite get the venom Amir did, he certainly deserved a few W's next to his name. I don't think any of the other bowlers did any better than OK.

Probably the most influential factor in the game was Pakistan's poor fielding - both their catching and ground fielding was deplorable.

They aren't out of it, but it will be very tough for Pakistan to make the semi finals from here.

Was a tough call for finch he would be expecting lbw shouts to come from Starc when bowling at the tail and so it was tough to gamble away the review on a faint edge.

Worth a go when they were 1 wicket away from running through them which they did

I'll take the W, yes we should have made 350 with our score after 20 overs and yes we have concerns with some of our bowling options. All in all though we're 3-1 and in a good position to qualify for the Semi Finals.

Back