The on topic thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
surprised about the amount of crying done online about the usa womens team winning 13-0. it's a world cup. dont let your foot off for one second. you'd feel a bit stupid if you let up and 'only' won 6-0, and then you put yourself into a position where if another side tops that result you get knocked out.

it's much more disrespectful to stop trying and not celebrate.
Agreed. Thai women's team.have won games in recent times by 10+ so I'm sure they didn't expect any different.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Agreed. Thai women's team.have won games in recent times by 10+ so I'm sure they didn't expect any different.
it seems quite a recent thing too. that good sides should feel bad for being good. at competitive tournaments where goals scored is a factor, teams should score as much as possible. just like with aussie rules and percentage.

what is a right scoreline? is 8 okay but 9 is too much? should games stop if a team goes 5 goals up? just don't get it.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The goal celebrations were way OTT after a certain point. It showed a lack of class for me, but if people are ok with it that’s fine. Nothing wrong with showing emotion even at 9,10 or 11-0, but like I say it was over the top and totally unnecessary.

The goal celebrations were way OTT after a certain point. It showed a lack of class for me, but if people are ok with it that’s fine. Nothing wrong with showing emotion even at 9,10 or 11-0, but like I say it was over the top and totally unnecessary.
To be honest if they'd scored and not celebrated it would have looked worse.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
It’s an interesting topic, I recall reading about the German dressing room at HT in that semi v Brazil. It was already 5-0, some of them felt a bit bad about humiliating Brazil further in the second half in front of their home fans.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be honest if they'd scored and not celebrated it would have looked worse.
Surely you can see that scoring a goal to go 12-0 up and celebrating it the same as though you scored it to go 1-0 or 2-0 ahead is just odd. It was really poor in my opinion. I think we are losing the ability to win magnanimously which is a shame.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s an interesting topic, I recall reading about the German dressing room at HT in that semi v Brazil. It was already 5-0, some of them felt a bit bad about humiliating Brazil further in the second half in front of their home fans.
Yes it’s an accepted practice for many. I don’t think you should necessarily take your foot off (to a great extent anyway) but show a little respect at least.

Surely you can see that scoring a goal to go 12-0 up and celebrating it the same as though you scored it to go 1-0 or 2-0 ahead is just odd. It was really poor in my opinion. I think we are losing the ability to win magnanimously which is a shame.
Nah it'd give the impression that the goal is expected and not worth celebrating. Comes off far more arrogant.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah it'd give the impression that the goal is expected and not worth celebrating. Comes off far more arrogant.
No it doesn’t. When you score a goal to go one nil or two nil you celebrate the fact that you’ve gone ahead and may win the game. It’s totally different to when you score at 8-0 up and the game has long since been won. We beat Tranmere 7-0 in the cup this season. After the second or third went in it was just handshakes when we scored. That’s the normal scenario. The way the US were celebrating their goals was abnormal and utterly classless. Not hard to grasp

No it doesn’t. When you score a goal to go one nil or two nil you celebrate the fact that you’ve gone ahead and may win the game. It’s totally different to when you score at 8-0 up and the game has long since been won. We beat Tranmere 7-0 in the cup this season. After the second or third went in it was just handshakes when we scored. That’s the normal scenario. The way the US were celebrating their goals was abnormal and utterly classless. Not hard to grasp
If you say so.

Surprisingly there are different points of view.

I'm sure in the good old days teams were far more obnoxious in big wins so its not really a sign of the times.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you say so.

Surprisingly there are different points of view.

I'm sure in the good old days teams were far more obnoxious in big wins so its not really a sign of the times.
Ok maybe it’s not a sign of the times, probably more a sign of US obnoxiousness. The fact that some on here are defending it is more worrying and arguably shows a sign of the times though

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The issue a lot of people have is that they were not natural celebrations, how can they be when you’re 10 goals up?

They were right to keep on scoring but the fake over the top celebrations were a bit beyond the pale for some.

Muted celebrations aren’t just about “showing respect”, it’s a natural thing to do when the scoreline gets so big. There’s nothing natural about going crazy when you’re running up a cricket score.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Yes it’s an accepted practice for many. I don’t think you should necessarily take your foot off (to a great extent anyway) but show a little respect at least.

Found the quotes I was referring to, it was via Hummels.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/germany-went-easy-brazil-second-3834359

They agreed not to 'show-boat', and, after their historic 7-1 semi-final win, Manchester United target Hummels explained: "We just made it clear that we had to stay focused and not try to humiliate them.

"We said we had to stay serious and concentrate at half-time. That's something you don't have to show on the pitch if you are playing.
"You have to show the opponent respect and it was very important that we did this and didn't try to show some magic or something like this. It was important we played our game for 90 minutes."

It was interesting to hear him speak about this. As up until that point, I hadn’t really thought about it before.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

He's really highly rated in AFL circles, isn't he?

I wonder if he'll look for another job in football or come back to Australia. I imagine there would be no shortage of suitors back here.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
He's really highly rated in AFL circles, isn't he?

I wonder if he'll look for another job in football or come back to Australia. I imagine there would be no shortage of suitors back here.
Emery is blaming him for the end of season run according to Mokbel.

Burgess is involved with the new a League club with Foster.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
it seems quite a recent thing too. that good sides should feel bad for being good. at competitive tournaments where goals scored is a factor, teams should score as much as possible. just like with aussie rules and percentage.

what is a right scoreline? is 8 okay but 9 is too much? should games stop if a team goes 5 goals up? just don't get it.

they're not being criticised for running up the score. more about acting like pork chops after scoring every goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back