Opinion Flag or flop?

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Sounds revolutionary! Lol

He went into it more than just the structure per se........ he had a bit to say about the way we were entering the F50, how our forwards were moving inside that arc etc..... I couldn't follow it in fine detail because I was negotiating some outback roads at the time, but I can confirm that it WAS discussed and agreed as being the single biggest, and unexpected, change to the Cat's game that had caught others unaware.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Clearly, we are either doing something different to everyone else, or we are doing the same thing and executing it better.
To be honest, I hope it's the second.

I think we've been doing the second but also have more to work with in our F50.

ie Miers, Dalhaus, Rohan

But - and I stress I couldn't / didn't hear every word - Carey seemed to think there was a bit more to it than just that.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Good to see what Kingy has been saying is spurring some debate. I agree the tactic of only having one person go for the mark when the ball is kicked forward to allow for others to set up around the ball isn't a new tactic per se, but it's not been done in modern times with such good results. I have also noticed that when the ball is coming forward our smaller guys will try to keep the leading corridors open for TBone, but Richmond did try to put a stop to that one last weekend. Whether you agree with it or not is your business. Just remember to keep personal abuse out of the discussion here on the board. We all have opinions and yours is no more important than someone else's.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
He went into it more than just the structure per se........ he had a bit to say about the way we were entering the F50, how our forwards were moving inside that arc etc..... I couldn't follow it in fine detail because I was negotiating some outback roads at the time, but I can confirm that it WAS discussed and agreed as being the single biggest, and unexpected, change to the Cat's game that had caught others unaware.

We've amped up the pressure off the scale compared to last year and we now have a cohesive group who work together. As a result we don't spoil each other for marks ( except when Danger is there - clearly didn't get the email :) ) and we don't get in each others way by clogging space.
It also helps enormously when you have Gaz , Clark and Duncan delivering it inside 50 - the quality is light years ahead of last year.

Miers is an interesting one as well - imagine following him around for 15km a game - no wonder he seems to bob up and be free a lot of the time.
The way he finishes after all that gut running is also a revelation.

It was obvious we needed to improve our F50 effectiveness , it's gelling beautifully at the moment :thumbsu:

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
We've amped up the pressure off the scale compared to last year and we now have a cohesive group who work together. As a result we don't spoil each other for marks ( except when Danger is there - clearly didn't get the email :) ) and we don't get in each others way by clogging space.
It also helps enormously when you have Gaz , Clark and Duncan delivering it inside 50 - the quality is light years ahead of last year.

Miers is an interesting one as well - imagine following him around for 15km a game - no wonder he seems to bob up and be free a lot of the time.
The way he finishes after all that gut running is also a revelation.

It was obvious we needed to improve our F50 effectiveness , it's gelling beautifully at the moment :thumbsu:
Yep. Definitely a combination of effort and effective implementation of a plan.
But the plan isn't some brand new rocket science, it's just that we now have the cattle available to apply it effectively.

25.17 to 7.7 IIRC I haven't checked. That's a flogging

EDIT: I just checked and I was correct. THAT'S how badly I remember it. Standing in the outer by myself, 14 yo. Great fun day out. Upside Wadey kicked 5

Oh sorry...I mistakenly was thinking of the 67 GF.....brain fart....

And yes...I recall that flogging...it was the end of a long finals run for the Cats...I think it was sometime before we played another final.

Sometimes its better for mediocre teams NOT to make the finals....

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I have noticed when I attend games this year players are staying down and roving the forward contests far more effectively than they have for quite a few years. The inability to do this previously has driven me bonkers.

*oh and barring injuries to key players a flag is now the benchmark.
It was hypothesized on the weekend that Enright (forward coach) & Scarlett (Back coach) have got to together and thought out what were the the things they hated as backmen, and what usually were they powerless to stop or limit. Then formulated that into a plan for the forward line and that's what we're seeing. I don't know if that's true, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless.

Sep 28, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
It was hypothesized on the weekend that Enright (forward coach) & Scarlett (Back coach) have got to together and thought out what were the the things they hated as backmen, and what usually were they powerless to stop or limit. Then formulated that into a plan for the forward line and that's what we're seeing. I don't know if that's true, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless.
Interesting indeed. I haven't heard or read any of the commentary quoted previously in this thread, this is just an observation of mine. I've been muttering* away to myself at the footy for quite awhile. "Someone rove the blinking footy."** It seems we now have the plan and the talent to do so effectively. Loving it.

*I may have been a little bit louder than a mutter at times.
** May not have said blinking either.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting indeed. I haven't heard or read any of the commentary quoted previously in this thread, this is just an observation of mine. I've been muttering* away to myself at the footy for quite awhile. "Someone rove the blinking footy."** It seems we now have the plan and the talent to do so effectively. Loving it.

*I may have been a little bit louder than a mutter at times.
** May not have said blinking either.
Blinkingly well said.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

Listened to the same discussion. Was an interesting theory indeed.

They also speculated about how long it could last.........

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
11-1 and at least 2 games clear possibly 3. We all know if we go undefeated to the GF we can still lose it, but even if we lose 4 games in the run in we’ll be 17-5 and should be top 2 considering woods & eagles have dropped 3 games already and GWS 4.
From 2016 and the “Danger years” we’ve been PF, PF and EF.
The next step is to make the GF and win it.
Chris Scott 3-9 in finals post 2011. That’s 25% win/loss. Since 2016 2-4 in finals.
2016- finished 2nd but no GF
2017- finished 2nd but no GF
2018- knocked out week 1
Many of those finals exits were done at qtr time.
To include 2013 where we finished 2nd, had a KP final and didn’t make GF.
And 2014 straight sets, then September has been a disaster.
Notwithstanding injuries and a bit of luck which all sides need to navigate then..
To be 11-1 and likely to finish top 2 and avoid an interstate final. Then for me it’s flag or flop!

There is no doubt that this position , as good as it is , adds a higher degree of expectation. Its potentially the best side that CS has coached, certainly since 2011 and this start will allow him to manage and sculpt so really there will be no excuses. Ther perfect way to finish off the year would probably be to channel the 07, 09 , 11 years which had a late season loss the second last week , just to sharpen everyone and then a solid if not very good win the last week before finals... even better if everyone who you want is in the side by then and fit and in form. Then there really is no get out of jail free. History says when geelong are 11-1 or 12-0 they make the GF.. and from personal pov ..I see no benefit in getting there and not winning.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Interesting theory. I thought this one up plan captitalises on other teams willingness to double team. My guess is teams will have to decide do they double team the marking player...and if not ..hope the forward doesn't not get hot. Good for us id say..with better than average service you would back Hawkins to win his fair share.

I think im going to be just a little edgey the rest of the year ..as now we have shown our hand to a degree.. and other sides will be working on their plans.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I think im going to be just a little edgey the rest of the year ..as now we have shown our hand to a degree.. and other sides will be working on their plans.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they'll have the personnel or ability to stop it. Let's not forget that the problem with our team (for opposition) is our defence and midfield are just as good as our forward line at the moment. It's a very balanced and even team. We also have a team that's willing to grind out games and make the most of limited opportunities if need be. While I do think we probably will lose a few games in the last 10 weeks, their bound to have an off day eventually, this side we have now is seriously good.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they'll have the personnel or ability to stop it. Let's not forget that the problem with our team (for opposition) is our defence and midfield are just as good as our forward line at the moment. It's a very balanced and even team. We also have a team that's willing to grind out games and make the most of limited opportunities if need be. While I do think we probably will lose a few games in the last 10 week, their bound to have an off day eventually. This side we have now is seriously good.

On the ladder predictor I have us ay 18 4 ... and perhaps playing WC the first week of the finals at KP.. but we will see. If they are seriously good ..then they will with stand scrutiny.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting theory. I thought this one up plan captitalises on other teams willingness to double team. My guess is teams will have to decide do they double team the marking player...and if not ..hope the forward doesn't not get hot. Good for us id say..with better than average service you would back Hawkins to win his fair share.

I'm not edgy at all, to me this is like 2007.
Every team knows how we play, probably has some idea on how they could beat us, but that doesn't mean they have the ability to.
So don't go 2 up, Hawkins and Sav are good contested markers, likewise Rohan, they'll have a field day. There isn't a defender in the game who could beat Hawkins 1 on 1 consistently.
So you have to double team him in the air, do that and we will win the ground ball should he not mark it.
Either way GFC score, and win.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not edgy at all, to me this is like 2007.
Every team knows how we play, probably has some idea on how they could beat us, but that doesn't mean they have the ability to.
So don't go 2 up, Hawkins and Sav are good contested markers, likewise Rohan, they'll have a field day. There isn't a defender in the game who could beat Hawkins 1 on 1 consistently.
So you have to double team him in the air, do that and we will win the ground ball should he not mark it.
Either way GFC score, and win.
If i were to prognosticate , the season has a look to it that may look very good.. even the finals have the potential to have 2 or 3 interstate teams...etc but i feel that if its a marathon ..we have sort of sprinted to the front with more than half the race to go.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
If i were to prognosticate , the season has a look to it that may look very good.. even the finals have the potential to have 2 or 3 interstate teams...etc but i feel that if its a marathon ..we have sort of sprinted to the front with more than half the race to go.

Perhaps, or hopefully, we haven't sprinted, but are just that much better of a runner than anyone else in the field.
We will know in hindsight I suppose.

Back