AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Precautionary moonboot? - 24/3

Remove this Banner Ad

01 - mcgrath.jpg

Contract Status: Restricted Free Agent 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 13, Vindicater

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
A little surprising he got more votes than Parish and Hooker who were far more influential

It depends - as fans we overweight touches and underweight off-ball actions. McGrath seemed to be playing on the fat side for a lot of the first half and his defensive running could've been pivotal in stopping Carlton early on. We can't see that from TV footage which makes it really hard for us to judge.

Yeah McGrath does a lot of unrewarded two way running that you only really appreciate when you’re at the ground or watching from a down the ground view. He was very good, absolute coaches pet he is.

It depends - as fans we overweight touches and underweight off-ball actions. McGrath seemed to be playing on the fat side for a lot of the first half and his defensive running could've been pivotal in stopping Carlton early on. We can't see that from TV footage which makes it really hard for us to judge.

All I can say is somehow, some way, Nic Newman got a vote. He was beyond putrid, Clanger after clanger

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ll never get tired of sayin it...he is absolute gold this kid.

He actually now reminds me of a very young Timmy Watson...skinny version of Tim before he bulked up by 84’.

He reminds me of him because every time he gets the ball, instantly he’s on his bike and accelerates looking to create something. Wonderful baulking skills and just has pace to burn and hardly ever looks like being tackled.

Once again ...thank you footy gods...praise be.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
I think McGrath has been good this year but considering the preseason reports then I would have expected better but he does look good when using his pace to break free and has looked okay around goal. He is best 22 but not in the first dozen named.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I think McGrath has been good this year but considering the preseason reports then I would have expected better but he does look good when using his pace to break free and has looked okay around goal. He is best 22 but not in the first dozen named.

First dozen named? Does that actually happen at the selection table ..I think not.
From the first game he’s never even remotely looked like being dropped.
Automatic inclusion every single week without hesitation.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
First dozen named? Does that actually happen at the selection table ..I think not.
From the first game he’s never even remotely looked like being dropped.
Automatic inclusion every single week without hesitation.

I'm not saying he is in any danger of being dropped and if he was I would lead this site's meltdown but I would think with a fully fit side then guys like Daniher, Stringer, Smith, Shiel, Hepp, Merrett, Fantasia, Hooker and Hurley would be listed as the core group of ins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
So by nuffy logic he'll play better now

Taylor Walker has gone downhill since ditching the mullet.
Dale Thomas hasn't been the same since getting a haircut.
Sampson lost his strength when he had his mullet trimmed by the Philistines.

Andrew having a trim has me quietly scared.

Taylor Walker has gone downhill since ditching the mullet.
Dale Thomas hasn't been the same since getting a haircut.
Sampson lost his strength when he had his mullet trimmed by the Philistines.

Andrew having a trim has me quietly scared.

Plenty of anti Samson's out there. Hurley and Pendlebury both guns after a cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back