Review Pies defeat Dees (98-57)

With the exception that Common Sense means different things to different people

For instance even among supporters on here, there is disagreement on free kicks, let alone the disagreement that exists between other club supporters, commentators, the umpires and the AFL

Consistency (even if many consider the decision incorrect) is far more important i.e. if it is going to be a wrong decision, then it is going to be wrong for both sides all day

How do you get that though. If one umpire makes an error early and calls holding the ball when there was no prior, should the other umpires adjust their interpretations and make the same error for the rest of the day? That'd just make the job even harder.

Just as the best kicks turn it over from time to time, the best umpires make mistakes. It's a bloody hard job where a heap of decisions could go either way.

It's time we just chilled out, stopped expecting perfection and went back to the mantras we teach our kids: accept the umpires decision.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
You are a lot more trusting than I am sr.

Far too often I have seen free kicks paid that alter the flow of the game consistently when one side gets right on top and the gap widens too much for the broadcaster's liking.

VERY skeptical of this brave new world of football 'entertainment'.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just out of curiosity, is Pert still Melbourne's CEO? If so it's humorous that they've imploded since he has arrived.

Was beside Daniher on his walk to the G Monday.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's time our other secret agent, Josh Smith, pulled his finger out to bring down WCE.

Thought he made progress Sunday. Needed to pick up where Wellingham finished though so has work to do.

Witts has been a disappointment, Frost worked a treat but I think the Bears saw through it pretty quickly.

Thought he made progress Sunday. Needed to pick up where Wellingham finished though so has work to do.

Witts has been a disappointment, Frost worked a treat but I think the Bears saw through it pretty quickly.
It's hard for players, they get dropped if they spud it up too much. I recommend he goes the Carey route to create instability in the playing group.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's hard for players, they get dropped if they spud it up too much. I recommend he goes the Carey route to create instability in the playing group.

Hard when we retain the biggest Cox.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Neil Balme can go and f.ed

Yes, shouldn't have overlooked him. We probably got him to Richmond a year too late but he's starting to bare fruit now.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know I’m a bit late for match review but just remembered something I observed on Monday .

Gawn is an absolute gun and beat Grundy fair and square on the day. But my observation is the number of times we kicked it straight to him!! When your opposition is playing that well it doesn’t help when you spoon feed him.

Note for next time boys, if you have to kick to a contest, make sure Gawn is not within 50 metres of it

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You read lots of snide remarks about Gary Pert. Why do we hate Gary Pert?

Apparently rumour and supposition... and he got antsy about Clokey using his car park.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just out of curiosity, is Pert still Melbourne's CEO? If so it's humorous that they've imploded since he has arrived.
We always like to contribute to Melbourne.

The good news is, nobody parks in his car spot, all the cars are at the snow.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apparently rumour and supposition... and he got antsy about Clokey using his car park.

I tried to do the double quote, made an error so I’ll double my previous post.

We always like to contribute to Melbourne.

The good news is, nobody parks in his car spot, all the cars are at the snow.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do you get that though. If one umpire makes an error early and calls holding the ball when there was no prior, should the other umpires adjust their interpretations and make the same error for the rest of the day? That'd just make the job even harder.

Just as the best kicks turn it over from time to time, the best umpires make mistakes. It's a bloody hard job where a heap of decisions could go either way.

It's time we just chilled out, stopped expecting perfection and went back to the mantras we teach our kids: accept the umpires decision.
So you're not a big fan of consistency?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you're not a big fan of consistency?

It would be fantastic but do you think consistency is achievable with 3 different people making a call? Even worse on the weekend with 4 umps rotating on-field time.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You read lots of snide remarks about Gary Pert. Why do we hate Gary Pert?
One of those unknown unknowns.

That and he was perceived as a serial leaker.

Back