Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brawl in Cell Block 99.

Really good and Vince Vaughan showed an acting side that he has never showed before as the hard arse tough guy and he was great at it.

Movie had a few flaws and somewhat seemed to be staged aggression and not natural/forced scenes but still a really good film i enjoyed but it is very violent and not for everyone.

7/10.

I've watched a few Sidney Lumet films in the last little while, most of which I really liked.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Starring Al Pacino in his prime, about an amateur bank robber, who, along with his accomplice holds up a small bank (very poorly). Over the course of a hot Summer day in Brooklyn, the holdup gets more and more attention - law enforcement, media, and the public. More about Pacino's character and motivation is revealed as the film progresses, and I was surprised by what must have been some fairly progressive issues for the 70s.

I think this film is the perfect balance of Pacino - halfway between his subdued work (The Godfather) and his ridiculous stuff (Scarface, Scent of a Woman).

I enjoyed this. 6/10

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I've watched a few Sidney Lumet films in the last little while, most of which I really liked.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Starring Al Pacino in his prime, about an amateur bank robber, who, along with his accomplice holds up a small bank (very poorly). Over the course of a hot Summer day in Brooklyn, the holdup gets more and more attention - law enforcement, media, and the public. More about Pacino's character and motivation is revealed as the film progresses, and I was surprised by what must have been some fairly progressive issues for the 70s.

I think this film is the perfect balance of Pacino - halfway between his subdued work (The Godfather) and his ridiculous stuff (Scarface, Scent of a Woman).

I enjoyed this. 6/10

One of the greatest films ever made. 9/10 at least.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

I enjoyed this. 6/10
Fantastic film. And you're right about Pacino's performance being a really great mix of serious and zany.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Captive State

Near future sci fi where the world has been taken over by aliens. The plot is a bit meandering with confusion over who are main protagonists. The ending is fairly predictable. But it was ok.​

5/10

Loners

Something about loners being made to undergo group therapy. I only lasted 15 minutes. Fake IMDB score. Avoid.​

1/10

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
T-34

Imagine if Michael Bay was Russian and had $10 million to spend making a movie about WWII tank battles. The plot was ridiculous but it was still fun to watch tanks zoom around and blast each other.

5/10

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Black Panther finally. It was fun and I really enjoyed it. It looked beautiful and I loved the music.
The only other Marvel movie I have seen is Doctor Strange (which I adored) so I have no idea who the dude in the after credits scene is :huh:
Bucky Barnes - The Winter Soldier.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The Tree Of Life (2011)stars Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Sean Penn

Sorry for the long post, but a couple of weekends ago I watched this movie with my wife and it has really stuck with me ever since. Neither of us knew what to expect going into it and it definitely took a bit of time for my head to stop spinning and actually get into it, but I ended up absolutely loving it. It had pretty divisive reviews (from both critics and punters), which meant it wasn’t surprising that while I loved it, my wife really didn’t at all.

If you haven’t seen it, there are four really distinct sections of the film and while it might be considered a spoiler to detail it, I actually think it might make you enjoy it a bit more (if you’re inclined to watch it).
  • Part I – It starts with a rather disorienting jumble of scenes that hint at a family tragedy decades earlier, but frustratingly doesn’t really answer any of the questions that come up because of the way the past and current day scenes are inter-spliced with random shots of nature and cityscapes.
  • Part II – After invoking the biblical Job-like questioning of why things happen, we get transported to the beginning of time and travel through history to get to the point where the question comes from. This dialogue-less sequence is incredibly beautiful and reiterates just how immense the universe really is and how irrelevant our questions of why actually are.
  • Part III – This is the most straight-forward plot-friendly section that looks at a family in the 1950s with a young boy coming of age and trying to reconcile the two distinct outlooks on the world from his parents (a mother who sees the beauty of nature and a cynical father preparing the children for the brutality of society). So many of the scenes are universally related to childhoods across the world and it really succeeds into tapping into that feeling of nostalgia as you watch it, but there is an uneasy sense of doom though because of the family tragedy alluded to in Part I.
  • Part IV – A return to the present day, but again using lots of non-linear scenes that include the eventual heat-explosion of the universe and our own individual confrontation with death and how we find our loved ones beyond this life.
At least, that’s how I interpreted it all!

So the film probably isn’t for everyone, but for me it was such a beautiful distillation of how inconsequential we all are in the grand scheme of life BUT how important our lives (and those of the people we love) are to us through that microscopic lens. I’m sure I’ll watch it again in the not-too-distant future and will most likely bump it up to a 10, but with the initial disorientation (that almost lead us to switching it off), it gets:

9/10

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Matilda

I think I have seen this movie yearly since it came out but never get tired of it.

Avengers: Endgame - meh, a 3 hour booooorrrefest where nothing really exciting happened until the last 20 minutes. Almost walked out halfway through but my wife wanted to sit it out, though in the end she agreed we could’ve left and not lost any sleep over it.

I thought these marvel movies were supposed to be action packed superhero extravaganzas yet this was just slow and the comedy was too forced.
The HULK being friendly giving autographs to children and smiling at himself and Thor stumbling around as a drunk bozo with a massive beer guy WTF??!!

Haven’t seen the others and doubt I will after this overrated pile of poo.

:thumbsdown:

3/10 for the battle at the end. :(

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Avengers: Endgame - meh, a 3 hour booooorrrefest where nothing really exciting happened until the last 20 minutes. Almost walked out halfway through but my wife wanted to sit it out, though in the end she agreed we could’ve left and not lost any sleep over it.

I thought these marvel movies were supposed to be action packed superhero extravaganzas yet this was just slow and the comedy was too forced.
The HULK being friendly giving autographs to children and smiling at himself and Thor stumbling around as a drunk bozo with a massive beer guy WTF??!!

Haven’t seen the others and doubt I will after this overrated pile of poo.

:thumbsdown:

3/10 for the battle at the end. :(

The massive pay off for a movie like this is that’s it’s the final chapter in a long series of movies that the viewer knows really well. It’s like reading the last 10 pages of a book, deciding it makes no sense, then giving a poor review. Of course it won’t make sense if you haven’t read the entire book.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Dumbo - I was kinda looking forward to this one because the trailer was excellent, but the movie itself was utterly boring and clique, kids might like it though. 4/10

Plus One - When two friends agree to be each others dates for a marathon of ten weddings sparks begin to fly between them. I really liked this and thought the leads had good chemistry and who doesn't like a potty mouth Asian woman. The wedding speech vignettes are funny too. Another solid Canadian film. 7/10

The massive pay off for a movie like this is that’s it’s the final chapter in a long series of movies that the viewer knows really well. It’s like reading the last 10 pages of a book, deciding it makes no sense, then giving a poor review. Of course it won’t make sense if you haven’t read the entire book.
It sucked bro. Total snoozarama & unnecessarily long.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Tree Of Life (2011)stars Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Sean Penn

Sorry for the long post, but a couple of weekends ago I watched this movie with my wife and it has really stuck with me ever since. Neither of us knew what to expect going into it and it definitely took a bit of time for my head to stop spinning and actually get into it, but I ended up absolutely loving it. It had pretty divisive reviews (from both critics and punters), which meant it wasn’t surprising that while I loved it, my wife really didn’t at all.

If you haven’t seen it, there are four really distinct sections of the film and while it might be considered a spoiler to detail it, I actually think it might make you enjoy it a bit more (if you’re inclined to watch it).
  • Part I – It starts with a rather disorienting jumble of scenes that hint at a family tragedy decades earlier, but frustratingly doesn’t really answer any of the questions that come up because of the way the past and current day scenes are inter-spliced with random shots of nature and cityscapes.
  • Part II – After invoking the biblical Job-like questioning of why things happen, we get transported to the beginning of time and travel through history to get to the point where the question comes from. This dialogue-less sequence is incredibly beautiful and reiterates just how immense the universe really is and how irrelevant our questions of why actually are.
  • Part III – This is the most straight-forward plot-friendly section that looks at a family in the 1950s with a young boy coming of age and trying to reconcile the two distinct outlooks on the world from his parents (a mother who sees the beauty of nature and a cynical father preparing the children for the brutality of society). So many of the scenes are universally related to childhoods across the world and it really succeeds into tapping into that feeling of nostalgia as you watch it, but there is an uneasy sense of doom though because of the family tragedy alluded to in Part I.
  • Part IV – A return to the present day, but again using lots of non-linear scenes that include the eventual heat-explosion of the universe and our own individual confrontation with death and how we find our loved ones beyond this life.
At least, that’s how I interpreted it all!

So the film probably isn’t for everyone, but for me it was such a beautiful distillation of how inconsequential we all are in the grand scheme of life BUT how important our lives (and those of the people we love) are to us through that microscopic lens. I’m sure I’ll watch it again in the not-too-distant future and will most likely bump it up to a 10, but with the initial disorientation (that almost lead us to switching it off), it gets:

9/10

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard of it before. Probably deserves it's own thread. I watched it in a few sessions when I had time at the weekend, which is possibly a good way to get through its three hours.

I didn't try to understand everything that was happening, I just let the experience wash over me. The cinematography was masterful. The performances were all top quality, in particular Pitt, Chastain and Hunter McCracken who played young Jack.

I don't remember a movie that has a better depiction of growing up as a boy in America. That was my favourite part. At times I was frustrated by the lack of dialog but that's how this family was. And if we are meant to draw interpretations from the director's subtle messages are we supposed to surmise that the absence of a strict father leads to boys going astray in a Lord of the Flies fashion?

As for the grander motif, like you say, there was a parallel being drawn between human birth and the birth of the universe, then death and the end of the universe. I'm not sure Malick sufficiently made the links between the characters and that theme, except in his own head. There was a lot of whispered dialog that was hard to catch, mixed timeline edits, and slightly random but beautiful scenes of the characters from different times running around rocks and on the beach. But it's an art movie so we should go with the flow.

I would say it's interesting but not a masterpiece.

7/10.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Daughter of the Wolf - a film about a woman whose son is kidnapped and she goes after him. This isn't really a great movie per se, but it's worth watching just for the performance of Richard Dreyfuss. I read they spent $5million making this film and it shows in the cinematography and quality of the production. But it's Dreyfuss who really lifts this movie from so-so to good, showing us even in his old age (and with a very average script and supporting cast) that he is still a brilliant actor. 5/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back