Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

And like I said, it's not just about working around the matches. Let's not forget Brisbane couldn't host a grand final at the Gabba in 2017 because an Ashes Test was only 8 short months away.

As for other grounds, the pitches would have to be lifted out and then dropped back in. Even if that was allowed, it does become about money because CA wouldn't be footing that expensive bill.

This year's double header at Marvel only drew 10k so the demand is not there yet. And I don't think teams other than Carlton are going to want to play home games at Ikon Park. Collingwood v Carlton needs to be at Vic Park next season.
Traditional club grounds are the way forward.

I thought charging for entry was the way forward. Could anybody in good conscience really suggest $20+ admission prices for rundown venues with inadequate facilities in often inconvenient locations?

I thought charging for entry was the way forward. Could anybody in good conscience really suggest $20+ admission prices for rundown venues with inadequate facilities in often inconvenient locations?

SANFL games are $14 at the same venues.
Nobody has suggested $20+, though if they did build the crowds, they could also update the facilities with the money made.

SANFL games are $14 at the same venues.
Nobody has suggested $20+, though if they did build the crowds, they could also update the facilities with the money made.
Any money being spent (or to be spent) on upgrading all but a few of these small/outdated/inconvenient venues are merely short-term solutions. In terms of AFLW matches between two Melbourne teams being played at current top-level stadiums by default, it's just a question of when not if. Obviously I'm in favour of sooner rather than later, but I don't begrudge those who want to hold the league back and stunt its potential growth.

Any money being spent (or to be spent) on upgrading all but a few of these small/outdated/inconvenient venues are merely short-term solutions. In terms of AFLW matches between two Melbourne teams being played at current top-level stadiums by default, it's just a question of when not if. Obviously I'm in favour of sooner rather than later, but I don't begrudge those who want to hold the league back and stunt its potential growth.
The sizes are perfect, the locations are in the areas where fans live so they don’t need to travel into the city etc. plenty of nostalgia to be had as well, that connect the new teams to the history of the clubs.

When Port get a team I damn well hope they play all their games at Alberton, the Crows do very well by playing at the Parade.

The sizes are perfect, the locations are in the areas where fans live so they don’t need to travel into the city etc. plenty of nostalgia to be had as well, that connect the new teams to the history of the clubs.

When Port get a team I damn well hope they play all their games at Alberton, the Crows do very well by playing at the Parade.
The benefit of playing in centralised locations is already proven and nostalgia only works in small doses.

Clearly the situation is very different in SA, there isn't a Marvel Stadium to play at even if the Crows wanted to. But I should point out there were people just a few months ago arguing it's better to have a grand final in front of a packed-out suburban ground than a half-full Adelaide Oval. What a missed opportunity that would've been if the league listened to those under-estimators, what opportunities could be lost in the future? I shudder to think.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Any money being spent (or to be spent) on upgrading all but a few of these small[?]/outdated[not modern, but superb surface & atmosphere!]/inconvenient [slightly]venues are merely short-term solutions. In terms of AFLW matches between two Melbourne teams being played at current top-level stadiums by default, it's just a question of when not if. Obviously I'm in favour of sooner rather than later, but I don't begrudge those who want to hold the league back and stunt its potential growth.

I will be very happy when all AFLW matches are averaging crowds of 20,000+; & they then should all be played in AFL stadia. These average crowds are unlikley to be achieved for 10-20 years (if played in AFL off-season).
VFL, SANFL, WAFL grounds provide a superb atmosphere, particularly when crowds are about 10,000. A crowd of 10,000 at Docklands, AO, or PS has virtually no atmosphere.

However, sadly, I don't believe Arden St is appropriate. There is, literally, nothing remaining from the old Arden St (grandstand & terraces gone); & no shelter from the hot sun; & most of it is completely flat (thus very poor sight lines for fans). NM/Tasmania AFLW home games should be played mainly in Tasmania, with a few at Princes Park (against Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon).

Last edited:
I will be very happy when all AFLW matches are averaging crowds of 20,000+; & they then should all be played in AFL stadia. These average crowds are unlikley to be achieved for 10-20 years (if played in AFL off-season).
VFL, SANFL, WAFL grounds provide a superb atmosphere, particularly when crowds are about 10,000. A crowd of 10,000 at Docklands, AO, or PS has virtually no atmosphere.
I'm not sure how 20k crowds are going to be achieved by playing mostly at venues that hold 10k at best. But I'm glad you at least acknowledge the future of AFLW involves a diversion from those venues.

Of all the important factors to focus on, atmosphere is way down on the list. Higher priorities include:
  • A weather-proof stadium like Docklands allows for a better product*
  • Playing double-headers at a venue with state-of-the-art media facilities is more efficient and enticing for broadcasters
  • An event that draws 10k at Docklands is usually only going to draw half that at, say, Victoria Park or Casey Fields^ (for a variety of reasons)
  • The mixed message of trying to build a world class league but not using world class venues when available
*see the R6 match between Melbourne and the Bulldogs at Marvel which was praised as the best game of the season, and compare it to the previous year's match between the same two teams in a tight but very scrappy pseudo-prelim spoiled by conditions typical of your Whitten Ovals
^based on other crowd figures this year, I'm making a fair estimate there

However, sadly, I don't believe Arden St is appropriate. There is, literally, nothing remaining from the old Arden St (grandstand gone); & no shelter from the hot sun; & most of it is completely flat (thus very poor sight lines for fans). NM/Tasmania AFLW home games should be played mainly in Tasmania, with a few at Princes Park (against Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon).

So you concede atmosphere is not the be-all and end-all. You'd rather bays of empty seats at Princes and York Parks than a packed out Arden Street? It actually seems like you might be more anti-suburban ground than me. I think right now they should be used for the lowest-drawing games (i.e. matches vs teams from another state), but you want to snub some altogether? By your own standards, North's spiritual home would only be one of many unsuitable venues.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Of all the important factors to focus on, atmosphere is way down on the list. Higher priorities include:
  • A weather-proof stadium like Docklands allows for a better product*[when it is raining]
  • Playing double-headers at a venue with state-of-the-art media facilities is more efficient and enticing for broadcasters[will double headers in Melbourne attract higher crowds?]
  • An event that draws 10k at Docklands is usually only going to draw half that at, say, Victoria Park or Casey Fields^ (for a variety of reasons)[more games will prove if this is correct].
  • The mixed message of trying to build a world class league but not using world class venues when available[Rows of cavernous banks of empty seats is unenticing for spectators, bad optics for TV viewers, & detracts from promoting the AFLW-"sell the sizzle, not just the sausage

I am aware that the old suburban grounds don't hold 20,000 + now (excluding Princes Park).
I was referring to the occasional AFLW games being played at AFL stadia. If these games attract averages of 20,000+, then all those clubs, occasionally playing there, should play more/or all games there.

I disagree with your views on the relative importance of atmosphere at AFLW games- & the appeal of old suburban grounds when crowds are c. 10,000. A 10,000 crowd at Docklands, AO, or PS is, from my subjective view, unappealing- but is much more exciting when played at a packed, intimate suburban venue.

I don't want any games played at flat ovals (terrible viewing for fans), with no seating, & no shade from the hot summer sun. Arden St, unfortunately, is unsuitable (unless you believe NM/Tasmania will attract crowds in Melbourne averaging less than 4000, irrespective where they play).

Last edited:
when it is raining
Not just rain, these smaller grounds are far more susceptible to other factors like gale-force winds which severely affect the quality of football played (hence my mention of last year's Dogs-Dees top-of-the-table clash). And then there's also lightning strikes and power outages resulting in long delays of matches, which has happened three times in three short seasons. More ammunition for nongs on twitter to snipe at the league's professionalism.

will double headers in Melbourne attract higher crowds?
Better football at better venues is what attracts higher crowds. This was already proven in the AFL 20 years ago, and it was proven again more recently with the move to new/redeveloped grounds in WA and SA. Double headers are a means for particularly Melbourne AFLW teams to enjoy these benefits in the short term.

Rows of cavernous banks of empty seats is unenticing for spectators, bad optics for TV viewers, & detracts from promoting the AFLW-"sell the sizzle, not just the sausage
You of all people should be happy with Marvel Stadium games, all spectators sat on the side opposite to the main camera which doesn't happen at any other ground. Can't conveniently abandon that crusade of yours, mate.

I am aware that the old suburban grounds don't hold 20,000 + now (excluding Princes Park).
I was referring to the occasional AFLW games being played at AFL stadia. If these games attract averages of 20,000+, then all those clubs, occasionally playing there, should play more/or all games there.
Supporting occasional AFLW games being played at AFL stadia is pretty damn close to my stance, much closer than the idea that old grounds are the future.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Nielsen, a respected information, data, & measurement co., states women's sport provides many valuable benefits for the overall health of a sport- much MORE than the "simplistic" criteria of women's matches' viewing Broadcast Rights $, & crowd attendance revenues.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The recently completed U 18 female National Championships have just been completed, with Vic Metro winning- it went undefeated.
It was surprising, however, that Vic Metro only had 4 players in the 22 All Australian U 18 squad- since Melbourne has most NAB League elite teams, & many Academies; & dominates in female jnr GR Club player nos.

Vic Country (which includes Dandenong region & Mornington Peninsula region) had 6 players chosen- although it has FAR less female jnr GR Club player nos. cf Metro.
Can this be construed as an "underperformance" by Vic Metro, considering the "riches" at its disposal?

Experts have stated that the U 18 Championships have clearly revealed an improvement in average skills, disposal efficiency, & "footy IQ". This bodes well for the 2019 AFLW Draft, & improving skill levels.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The recently completed U 18 female National Championships have just been completed, with Vic Metro winning- it went undefeated.
It was surprising, however, that Vic Metro only had 4 players in the 22 All Australian U 18 squad- since Melbourne has most NAB League elite teams, & many Academies; & dominates in female jnr GR Club player nos.

Vic Country (which includes Dandenong region & Mornington Peninsula region) had 6 players chosen- although it has FAR less female jnr GR Club player nos. cf Metro.
Can this be construed as an "underperformance" by Vic Metro, considering the "riches" at its disposal?

Experts have stated that the U 18 Championships have clearly revealed an improvement in average skills, disposal efficiency, & "footy IQ". This bodes well for the 2019 AFLW Draft, & improving skill levels.

A wild guess but could it be that in these less developed leagues girls are spending a longer time playing with the boys before going over to female only football?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The AFLW Administration admits not enough talent at present for 18 teams. The four AFL Clubs without Womens teams after next year will have to wait for a as yet unknown period before they can join.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFLW Administration admits not enough talent at present for 18 teams. The four AFL Clubs without Womens teams after next year will have to wait for a as yet unknown period before they can join.

Apparently 2024 at the latest

the 8 plus 3 season length is really positive though

Edit: It seems there is a lot more information in the Age article which suggests someone wanted more information released publicly than official channels were keen on

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Heard a GWS podcast that discussed GWS sponsorship, and how getting the men's sponsors on board was a bit of a grind.

When a women's team was announced, the first 2 major sponsors called them, the day it was announced.

Again highlights, if a company is interested in exposure through female sports, either for the different demographic, or the PC credits, there still are not a lot of great options, and there is money to be made there for AFL clubs.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Apparently 2024 at the latest

the 8 plus 3 season length is really positive though

Edit: It seems there is a lot more information in the Age article which suggests someone wanted more information released publicly than official channels were keen on
Yes that appears to be the case - Of course the cuthroat Footy media are always digging to get to the bottom of things before anybody else.
Have never met Nicole Livingston - Was she holding back just feeding snippetts out.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Yes that appears to be the case - Of course the cuthroat Footy media are always digging to get to the bottom of things before anybody else.
Have never met Nicole Livingston - Was she holding back just feeding snippetts out.
It's more a case that these are recommendations. They have recommended things, but what is actually put in place could be different. They would look pretty stupid, and be roundly criticised if they announced details of the new season, only to see something else implemented.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
It's more a case that these are recommendations. They have recommended things, but what is actually put in place could be different. They would look pretty stupid, and be roundly criticised if they announced details of the new season, only to see something else implemented.

Which confirms what a lot of us thought - This situation is new and they are winging it a bit.
Am surprised nobody has mentioned that the Big Bash bosses have announced a shortened season due to attendance and revenues being down. Will this assist the AFLW in February or not.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
So with AFLX gone do we think there will be more focus on the up and coming AFLW season?
That was one of the things they said. Dropping AFLX to focus on AFLW, but I think that is putting some mayo on it. I think it was dropped because it stank.

Hopefully there is more attention on AFLW whatever their reasons.

Back