Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
The girls went alright today. They were a bit outclassed early but came home strongly and I reckon if the game went 5 minutes longer they would have snatched it. Katie Brennan really was the difference.
Funny you say our girls were outclassed - I play footy with the mum of a Richmond player and they were very excited to get over the Mugars, given the strength of the club and their North listed players.

jess_1804

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watched little bits and pieces of the game on the live stream today. The difference between the AFL and VFL listed girls was noticeable, not sure what it was like live. And Jas Garner has to be the most naturally gifted player on our team, makes the hard stuff look easy.

Funny you say our girls were outclassed - I play footy with the mum of a Richmond player and they were very excited to get over the Mugars, given the strength of the club and their North listed players.
Just the first half the ran all over us. They were pinpointing passes while we seemed to be playing without much structure. The second half was much better and the game plan seemed to start to work.

A fair few of the AFLW players were on the sidelines. From memory Emma Kearney, Emma King, Sophie Abbatangelo, Jess Trend, Beth Lynch and Daisy Bateman were all on the sidelines. The girls who were playing were Elisha King, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Jenna Bruton, Ash Riddell, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Jas Garner and Tayla Mesiti so it was probably 50/50 although Richmond was probably in a similar situation as they have probably only assembled half a list.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A fair few of the AFLW players were on the sidelines. From memory Emma Kearney, Emma King, Sophie Abbatangelo, Jess Trend, Beth Lynch and Daisy Bateman were all on the sidelines. The girls who were playing were Elisha King, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Jenna Bruton, Ash Riddell, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Jas Garner and Tayla Mesiti so it was probably 50/50 although Richmond was probably in a similar situation as they have probably only assembled half a list.

Brennan and Mon Conti were unbelievable for them. Was a good game tbh

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

I liked the tweet for this teaser line, but the linked article about footy in Tasmania being the latest show of Shinboner Spirit wasn’t as heartwarming as they meant it to be. For me anyway.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It still pisses me off that the AFL rigged the fixture to ensure our team only played one game out of seven in Melbourne. And that one didn't come until near the end of the season.

It still pisses me off that the AFL rigged the fixture to ensure our team only played one game out of seven in Melbourne. And that one didn't come until near the end of the season.
Yeah it was really disappointing. Hopefully the Arden St upgrade means it was a one off. You can also catch a lot of the girls playing for Melbourne Uni in the VFLW.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah it was really disappointing. Hopefully the Arden St upgrade means it was a one off. You can also catch a lot of the girls playing for Melbourne Uni in the VFLW.
Hopefully we get more double headers with Melbourne University change their name to North Melbourne in the VWFL which will make it even better

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully we get more double headers with Melbourne University change their name to North Melbourne in the VWFL which will make it even better

Do we have to piss on everything though? The Mugars have a long and strong tradition and that should be celebrated. NMFC's co-operation with and support for Melb Uni is our only real validation historically in women's football so it serves us far better to appreciate that connection rather than launch a hostile takeover and wipe out that history.

Frankly, I'd prefer we bin the map jumper and play away games in royal blue with black and white chevrons as a nod to the Mugars as well as the original VFL jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back