Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Blokes been one of our most consistent performers (in a good way for all those struggling) this year. Deserves to stay on, as long as he understands that he won’t get the same coin.

Probably the best ruckman after Gawn and Grundy in the league.

He's a better tap ruckman than Grundy.

Grundy's actual rucking ability was shown up massively by Gawn on Monday. Grundy gets wraps for his stat accumulating.

He's a better tap ruckman than Grundy.

Grundy's actual rucking ability was shown up massively by Gawn on Monday. Grundy gets wraps for his stat accumulating.
Grundy has been playing injured to be fair to him.

Having said that, big fan of Goldy. The rubbish he cops from our own supporters is mind boggling.

Yeah that's why a near million $ player was dropped to VFL (and lucky not to at other times) some think supporters harsh.

He's let us down not the other way around.

Can't remember Buddy, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Ablett etc being near dropped (on muliple occasions) on similar salaries in their best years.

Yeah that's why a near million $ player was dropped to VFL (and lucky not to at other times) some think massively overpriced "mind boggling".

Can't remember Buddy, Pendlebury, Dangerfield,.Ablett etc being near dropped on similar salaries in their career.

Didn’t the poor guy very nearly have a nervous breakdown after some pretty diabolical family ‘problems’?

So having been the best in the league and dominated for years and done great things he gets rewarded - big deal.

He then fu$@s up royally and nearly has a breakdown , resulting in a bad year by his standards - big deal

People need to move on and show our players more respect, it’s disgusting.

Didn’t the poor guy very nearly have a nervous breakdown after some pretty diabolical family ‘problems’?

His problem not ours.

He got paid his near million regardless of his issues. Yet Gawn and co turned up, I'm sure their lives are perfect in every way...........

Has done extremely well by the NMFC.

I might do a little experiment and check out the views of the "trade him/he'll be gone/sounds disinterested" crew with their 2016-2017 Goldstein musings.

My hunch is there will be a strong correlation.

So having been the best in the league and dominated for years and done great things he gets rewarded - big deal.

He then fu$@s up royally and nearly has a breakdown , resulting in a bad year by his standards - big deal

People need to move on and show our players more respect, it’s disgusting.

I questioned Brad's man management at the time and stand by it. Blind loyalty (almost literally) to keep playing a player who dearly looked mentally shot was on the coaches head, not the player's.

As for the others, Buddy had some 'time out', Dangerfield walked out on his 1st club at his peak, Ablett kept trying to break his massive contract? Not like any of the other supposed highly paid crew haven't had their breaks or issues for their clubs.

I was in the trade goldy camp, I felt at the time his output simply did not match his pay packet, he was a victim of salary v expectations. I also felt if the mental struggle was affecting his form then he should have taken time out to look after himself. I’m glad he has recaptured the form we all knew he was capable of and hope he stays on but I hope he remembers that north looked after him through the struggles he had and paid him handsomely throughout

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I questioned Brad's man management at the time and stand by it. Blind loyalty (almost literally) to keep playing a player who dearly looked mentally shot was on the coaches head, not the player's.

As for the others, Buddy had some 'time out', Dangerfield walked out on his 1st club at his peak, Ablett kept trying to break his massive contract? Not like any of the other supposed highly paid crew haven't had their breaks or issues for their clubs.
Spot on, should have given him some time off to get his s**t together.
Brad probably thought keep him involved to keep his mind off things, instead everyone was talking about how badly he is playing and that would have added more pain.

Either way what Goldy does at the end of the season, will say alot about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke has never even intimated that he wanted to play elsewhere.

I reckon his contract scenario might play out as the club works out what they want to do with the 10 other uncontracted blokes on the list, as well as addressing issues/extensions for some of the blokes that come out of contract at the end of next season (Cunnington, Anderson, Brown, Simpkin, Wood, Zurhaar etc.).

His problem not ours.

He got paid his near million regardless of his issues. Yet Gawn and co turned up, I'm sure their lives are perfect in every way...........

I don't understand why you people are happy to see physical problems as "our problem" but mental ones as not "our problem" depsite one of our biggest problems over the past decade being above our shoulders and between our ears onfield.

Mind boggling. (Good thing the boggling bit is my problem and not the clubs i guess.)

Right.

And who's better right now?

Well Goldy is clearly better now, then we have Campbell, Daw, Xerri and Durds who can all have a crack.

I'm in the 2 years @ $500k offer with bonues and add ons he could make $700k.

Should that not satisfy the big man, then he would on face value be a bit of a Judas if he left for an extra $100k.

Either way what Goldy does at the end of the season, will say alot about him.
Clubs see AFL as a business. They'll trade players quite easily and not resign them if it doesn't fit the club's future. However if a player moves clubs for an extra $100,000 we judge them. These next few years will be Goldies last on bulk coin. Mid 30s and needing to change careers. I'd love him to stay but wouldn't think less of him for looking out for his future.

That EXTRA $100k is what I earn in a whole year. If offered an extra $100k it'd change my future and what I could provide for my family.
We're Kanga supporters and loyal to the end but the players come from a completely differently angle. It's work for them.

Get us first use Sunday Goldie and we'll be closer to a victory.

Clubs see AFL as a business. They'll trade players quite easily and not resign them if it doesn't fit the club's future. However if a player moves clubs for an extra $100,000 we judge them. These next few years will be Goldies last on bulk coin. Mid 30s and needing to change careers. I'd love him to stay but wouldn't think less of him for looking out for his future.

That EXTRA $100k is what I earn in a whole year. If offered an extra $100k it'd change my future and what I could provide for my family.
We're Kanga supporters and loyal to the end but the players come from a completely differently angle. It's work for them.

Get us first use Sunday Goldie and we'll be closer to a victory.
I agree to a point, but look at Greenwood and Wells right now - as much as they may have been liked by supporters (Wells especially) - they have ruined all that by moving, and will not be remembered as well as they could have been.

Yes it's a job and good luck to them, but your legacy as a footballer is just as important. It lives well beyond the career itself, and I hope Goldy stays a one club player.

He’s having a decent year. Not quite at his best but not far off. Hope he stays. Gut says he will.

His problem not ours.

I was originally of a similar mindset until I found out the extent of his struggle. I was very harsh on him for under preforming during that period. It’s something I regret.

I was originally of a similar mindset until I found out the extent of his struggle. I was very harsh on him for under preforming during that period. It’s something I regret.

I absolutely felt for him don't get me wrong. Mental illness is terrible and don't wish it on noone.

My (maybe poorly worded) point was more around how great he has been. I don't believe his output has matched his contract and i think we'll be ok if he leaves.

I absolutely felt for him don't get me wrong. Mental illness is terrible and don't wish it on noone.

My (maybe poorly worded) point was more around how great he has been. I don't believe his output has matched his contract and i think we'll be ok if he leaves.

Maybe if the coach had of relegated him to find form and rest from the pressure cooker of AFL elite contract player life.

Maybe if the club didn’t roll him out weekly to the media to throw himself at the mercy of the fans for forgiveness in sometimes hard to watch interviews.

Maybe we wouldn’t have judged so harshly.

I don’t think it’s fair to judge a player on getting the most coin possible if and when he is trying and pushing hard to do his best every week - I believe Goldie never once stop trying 110%

A player on big coin not doing the right things, getting fat, drinking etc etc Which I believe Franklin did at one point. - that’s when they deserve a spray for taking the piss.

All for getting a leg over - who hasn’t tried to get a leg over!

Mate, he’s back in form. We’d absolutely be worse off without him. Think we take him for granted tbh.

I wouldn't have said Goldy has a mental illness. Think he just had some pretty crap external life circumstances to battle is all. I don't agree that he should have been selected for that period when it was obvious his form was being so affected by what he was going through. Didn't help us, and it sure didn't help him. I actually have a pretty immense respect for him, how he's made his way back. He may never be quite the Goldy of yore, but he's battled back like a champ. Really hope he stays.

I don't understand why you people are happy to see physical problems as "our problem" but mental ones as not "our problem" depsite one of our biggest problems over the past decade being above our shoulders and between our ears onfield.

Mind boggling. (Good thing the boggling bit is my problem and not the clubs i guess.)

It was a poorly worded post and i apologise.

I can see how it could be construed that way like i was having a go.

Probably a reflection he shouldn't have been playing hence - i think it was poorly handled, but most importantly he's back in business on and off field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back