Righting the Ship - The Next 5 Games (A.K.A When Naitanui's Willie Returns)

What position on the ladder will we be come the bye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It is worrying we have lost all our games by 40+ but its not like we are going out there full tilt with our best 22 getting pumped and our gameplan getting found out.

We have lost 2 of those at venues we cannot seem to win at and the other one we win more than we lose but i put it down to thinking we thought we had it in the bag. The Port game we went in to tall during a wet game which played straight into Ports hands from the get go.

We still have some tinkering to do once Nic Nat comes back because our ruck division has struggled since Lycett has gone and Vardy spudding it up. I do like we are using Darling to pinch hit in the forward line as it gets him into the game and seems to do well in the ruck.

My best 22 going forward once Barrass and Nic Nat are back:

Hurn Barrass Shep
Jetta JK Duggan

Redden Sheed Gaff

Pet Darling Cripps
Ryan JK Ryan

Ruck: Nic Nat Shuey Yeo

Bench: Hutchings, Cole, Hickey, Waterman

Geelong have Tigers 2018 written all over them IMO...
TBH Richmond were scary last year, they just tripped over. Geelong seem to keep coming up against teams that are struggling. They haven't really beaten an in-form team yet. At least richmond were banking convincing wins last season!

TBH Richmond were scary last year, they just tripped over. Geelong seem to keep coming up against teams that are struggling. They haven't really beaten an in-form team yet. At least richmond were banking convincing wins last season!
Richmond were pumped up without having been convincing - we smashed them over here but the media just dismissed it. I am similarly skeptical of Geelong, if we had their draw (same teams and same games home and away), I reckon we would also be top. Seriously, look at their draw, it has not been hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he's a fan too. Manages to be quite neutral in his columns.

But I think there's a bit of Eagles fan despair and hysteria in there. We're doing alright. Players are coming back. And if we turn it around, our fixture will place is well.

Yeah I think that's pretty much his point though. At the moment the numbers suggest we've probably outperformed or been able to find the premiership gear when it mattered. We can't carry that through the year so we do need to turn it around. It wouldn't be new territory for us. Our ground ball get differential was off the charts last year once finals arrived. Like the flick of a switch.

Next 5...

Ess @ Optus
Haw @ MCG
Freo @ Optus
Coll @ Optus
Melb @ Alice Springs

Feels very tough despite talk of us having an easy run home.

We are 8-4 with not the best %

At this early stage my prediction would be 3-2... anything more is great... anything less is horrible.

We arent playing well but getting some results.

If we want to be contenders then we really shpuld be 5-0 from these games.

Nervy times.

Go Eagles

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
2 wins from 2 in this run.

Keep it going lads.

Go Eagles

Yeah I think that's pretty much his point though. At the moment the numbers suggest we've probably outperformed or been able to find the premiership gear when it mattered. We can't carry that through the year so we do need to turn it around. It wouldn't be new territory for us. Our ground ball get differential was off the charts last year once finals arrived. Like the flick of a switch.

I didn't mind the article either. Its essentially saying the stats show that if our uncontested chain of possession game style is taken away from us (pressure on disposal and pressure further up the ground) our poor ground ball game is exposed and limits our ability to find another avenue forward.

As you say, we flicked a switch for finals and became the best side of the teams left in terms of winning ground ball - I have no doubt this was the catalyst in propelling us to the flag. Pretty obvious really. If we were allowed uncontested possession chains we'd cut shreds through a defense. If you took that away, no matter, we'd scrub it forward to a contest and beat you at ground level.

This year we have reverted back to our generally shitness at winning the ground ball, and better teams have been able to put pressure on our uncontested game, which has made us look decidedly s**t in some games and in others has made it a tough task.

North Melbourne did this to the Pies yesterday. Manic pressure at the disposer, forcing them to kick long to a contest and then just through sheer determination of not losing the ground ball overwhelmed the pies. Simple game plan, harder to execute but once you get a roll on it's pretty hard to stop. Pies, and we in our losses, just couldn't arrest the ground ball momentum going North's way, and at some point it just becomes too hard. Hence the big margin loss. Notice anything similar in our losses?

Same with us in the 3rd yesterday. Hawks set up well once they got forward of centre, overwhelmed us at the contest and when we did win it forced hack kicks out. Either they marked uncontested or when it did get to ground, beat us and back it came. It was s**t. We could not arrest it. Managed to reset at 3 QTR time, thankfully. It is something that we should be concerned about. No doubt they are, and they will be working on solutions, but at the moment, we're too easily hemmed in our d50 for long periods.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

We should be accounting for all those home games. If we're serious we should win all three. Those two away trips are serious danger games though.

We should be accounting for all those home games. If we're serious we should win all three. Those two away trips are serious danger games though.
Injuries aside. We should almost win all 5.

Tigers are definitely beatable but Im assuming we drop at least 1 on the run in.

We'll see.

The main thing is we try and get a fit squad by September.

Back