Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

It was a poorly worded post and i apologise.

I can see how it could be construed that way like i was having a go.

Probably a reflection he shouldn't have been playing hence - i think it was poorly handled, but most importantly he's back in business on and off field.

Sometimes it takes conversation and time to articulate our thoughts.

And some of things we discuss are very complicated!

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clubs see AFL as a business. They'll trade players quite easily and not resign them if it doesn't fit the club's future. However if a player moves clubs for an extra $100,000 we judge them. These next few years will be Goldies last on bulk coin. Mid 30s and needing to change careers. I'd love him to stay but wouldn't think less of him for looking out for his future.

That EXTRA $100k is what I earn in a whole year. If offered an extra $100k it'd change my future and what I could provide for my family.
We're Kanga supporters and loyal to the end but the players come from a completely differently angle. It's work for them.

Get us first use Sunday Goldie and we'll be closer to a victory.

Agreed, sadly. One injury or a bad year could be the difference between being delisted and your career over. We make those decisions as a club based upon our own self interest, so it's hard to then turn around and whack players for taking a life changing amount of money elsewhere. As someone else said, an extra $100k per year is huge.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's also over 30.
For me it's all about the cost, i don't think anyone would prefer not having him.

Who cares if he’s 30? He’s playing good football. Better footy then when he was 28. Give him 2-3 years, and a bit of a haircut pay wise. No one is going to pay over market rate for him, but I can see a club offering him more years.

We had a 37yo people still wish was playing. Stay off the Carlton juice.
Screenshot_20190613-192503.png

Since he arrived as a player 19 games in a season is the lowest amount he's played.

He's got a few seasons left does Goldy.

View attachment 691585

Since he arrived as a player 19 games in a season is the lowest amount he's played.

He's got a few seasons left does Goldy.

I have no doubt he does but I think it won't be with us. I don't want that to happen considering our ruck stocks but a club like St Kilda or Geelong could offer 3x $750k and we wouldnt match that. I think we will offer 2 x $600k.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I have no doubt he does but I think it won't be with us. I don't want that to happen considering our ruck stocks but a club like St Kilda or Geelong could offer 3x $750k and we wouldnt match that. I think we will offer 2 x $600k.

3 x 600k is fair i'd say.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
well goldstein said in the paper that he is going no where, so this means that he wants a deal from north soon or is like an early warning that if no contract is coming then he is going.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Low risk you would think, He’s a resilient bastard I’ll give him that much!
I doubt resilience would be of concern but losing a yard and not getting to as many contests would.

A 3rd year clause would be the smart thing to do, but I reckon he has earned a 3 year extension. Has busted a nut for the club.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I read a stat and dont hate on me Snake but no ruckman this year has had more than 100 AFL Fantasy points against Todd.
He kept Grundy to 112 but bloody hell he matched him if not shaded him throughout the night.
Well done Todd.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If Grundy's worth $1.5 mill p.a. (he's not), then Todds worth $1.2

Should have been given 8 free kicks in the first half where Grundy was clearly holding him, until the maggots HAD to intervene.

Get him re-contracted!

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Sensational game by the big man. He is one of the great contract year players of all time.

I'd offer him 1x $700k deal with trigger for another year.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We would be seriously dumb to let him go. As a free agent with his age we’d be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. Considering his form this year and his reliability I’d be offering 600k x 2 with a trigger for a 3rd year. We have salary cap space so that’s non issue.

It makes sense with his form but we also literally don’t have another option on the list who could step up and get anywhere near matching Goldy’s output.

Despite being a good VFL footballer Campbell has shown he isn’t a top tier ruckman.

Xerri is a long long way off. I’m also not convinced he’ll end up being a ruckman.

Daw I don’t want near the ruck.

We need another 205cm+ developing ruck on the list.

Sensational game by the big man. He is one of the great contract year players of all time.

I'd offer him 1x $700k deal with trigger for another year.

You wouldn’t get it done with that!

The reality is, he’s in great form, the Ruck position is back in fashion, top rucks are rare as hens teeth, it’s possibly Goldies last contract so he needs to look after himself and family.

For all those reasons and our biggest problem - other clubs will offer him 3+ yrs as he’s proven resilient at pretty big coin.

I think he’ll stay for less money but he’s going to want and in my opinion, deserve some security.

I offer a multiple year deal with triggers and bonuses so if he goes AA it rains cash and if he drops off the club isn’t exposed.

Lock him in for mine.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
You wouldn’t get it done with that!

The reality is, he’s in great form, the Ruck position is back in fashion, top rucks are rare as hens teeth, it’s possibly Goldies last contract so he needs to look after himself and family.

For all those reasons and our biggest problem - other clubs will offer him 3+ yrs as he’s proven resilient at pretty big coin.

I think he’ll stay for less money but he’s going to want and in my opinion, deserve some security.

I offer a multiple year deal with triggers and bonuses so if he goes AA it rains cash and if he drops off the club isn’t exposed.

Lock him in for mine.

Well in that case we'd get first round compensation

He has been overpaid for 3 seasons.

Happy he is going well, but he is out of contract and has history of going well in contract years.

1 year deals from now on to keep him hungry. $700k is a huge salary for a 32 year old ruckman.

Back