Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile having a thread for people who have kids playing junior footy?

I have a 7yo (under 8s) and 9yo (U10s) who play up here in QLD.

Maybe a place to share stories, exciting news like best n fairests, frustrations etc?

Over the last year I've taken to videoing their games on my phone because it makes me shut up and also we can watch later, look son that was good or hey mate instead of kicking there...

I've love to see any footage of others' kids playing and hear about how our next generation is going.

Cheers,

James

I am the team manager for Oak Park U17’s. We’re division 2 but have a pretty good team despite being a bit light on for numbers. Had a good win over Roxburgh Park on the weekend despite only having 17 players.
The boys and I watched a U16s game on Sunday. Son7 asked 'Am I allowed to hit that hard?' I love it haha

Yeah in many ways it’s better than the AFL. It’s actually why I like the AFLW, there’s a lot of similarities.
I never played footy (kidney issue) so this is all pretty new to me but I am loving watching the team develop throughout the year.

I do shake my head at some of the dads (and a few mums) who go off and yell at their kids or the umpire. Especially at U10 or lower. Let the kids have fun!!

I never played footy (kidney issue) so this is all pretty new to me but I am loving watching the team develop throughout the year.

I do shake my head at some of the dads (and a few mums) who go off and yell at their kids or the umpire. Especially at U10 or lower. Let the kids have fun!!
It gets pretty hairy at a few matches, we have some pretty rough parents and there can be a bit of biff onfield ( between the players) if the umpires aren’t on to it early. It does make you wonder sometimes.

That’s pretty cool that they make a highlights video.
I actually make the video. I started taking the video as it made me shut up and it's become a habit.

This was Round 1, I thought for 7 he played pretty well.

I have 2 boys one in under 12s and 1 in under 10s. Both go ok with the older one in the Interleague squad. Oldest has already played in 2 flags. Twice as many as I played in in 25 years of playing!!

I have 2 boys one in under 12s and 1 in under 10s. Both go ok with the older one in the Interleague squad. Oldest has already played in 2 flags. Twice as many as I played in in 25 years of playing!!
That's awesome!!! Does the U10 play for points? Are they zoned? My 10 plays in 3 zones and no scoreboard. Up here in QLD there's no ladder until U12s. Can't wait til they're playing for an actual score and finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can see this photo, it’s my younger son rising above the pack to take a screamer last weekend. He plays u13 for Ashy Redbacks in the YJFL and plays and enjoys himself best in defence. Plays in a lower grade, thank heavens - first season of being graded by ability and the top team has too many kids and parents that take it too seriously.

Although mine could take it a bit more seriously. He told me last week that once he runs through the banner for 100 games next year he’ll hang up the boots. Mid season.

Attachments

• 93FD0FF1-D8D3-4718-AFF7-62F8585D706E.png
    93FD0FF1-D8D3-4718-AFF7-62F8585D706E.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 189
If you can see this photo, it’s my younger son rising above the pack to take a screamer last weekend. He plays u13 for Ashy Redbacks in the YJFL and plays and enjoys himself best in defence. Plays in a lower grade, thank heavens - first season of being graded by ability and the top team has too many kids and parents that take it too seriously.

Although mine could take it a bit more seriously. He told me last week that once he runs through the banner for 100 games next year he’ll hang up the boots. Mid season.
Very handy mark, yes some of the parents take it like it's life or death. I particularly hate it when parents/kids shut out players because they aren't good enough. It's junior sport ffs, it's about fun, most won't go onto seniors, they just wanna have fun.

Great photo, it’s hard to catch the right moment.

That's awesome!!! Does the U10 play for points? Are they zoned? My 10 plays in 3 zones and no scoreboard. Up here in QLD there's no ladder until U12s. Can't wait til they're playing for an actual score and finals.
Yeah they all play for points and finals etc which is the way it should be!! Kids aren’t silly they know who has won even if the silly adults try not to keep
Score!!
And no zones either. How do they work???

Yeah they all play for points and finals etc which is the way it should be!! Kids aren’t silly they know who has won even if the silly adults try not to keep
Score!!
And no zones either. How do they work???
My boys both play in zones. So the field is divided into 3 zones by a line of cones. Mids wear a blue armband, backs a red arm band and forwards yellow. You can't leave your zone and mids can't score goals, although that doesn't stop my boys from having a ping.

8s have 3 in each zone and 9s/10s have 4 I think.

No score, no ladder and no finals.

12s is a bigger field and 15 players each and no zones. And finally scores, divisions and finals.

My boys are itching for competitive footy. There are no Best n Fairests until under 12s but our club does do it for 8/9/10s which I like.

My youngun will play with Ashy Redbacks from next year H to h. A mate who runs Bulleen Temp’s juniors told me Ashy are the largest junior club in the country, with a huge feeder system of Auskick programs feeding into them. All of the kids around here play for them, and possibly in your son’s side.

My youngun will play with Ashy Redbacks from next year H to h. A mate who runs Bulleen Temp’s juniors told me Ashy are the largest junior club in the country, with a huge feeder system of Auskick programs feeding into them. All of the kids around here play for them, and possibly in yoir son’s side.
Yes, Ashy is a massive junior club - around 700 players. Also grades later than most so offers a good balanced experience, lots of footy for fun while some kids also go on to representative teams. We’ve been very happy and most of the boys and girls we know play for the club, although plenty also play for Camberwell Sharks, Glen Iris Gladiators, and East Malvern Knights. Good to have options!

Looks like a good player. I didn’t watch the whole video but I never saw a tackle. R they allowed to tackle??
First half of the video is Matty (7) and no tackle for Under 8s. Last year he played up with the 8s and won the BnF so not a bad player. He definitely needs to play some tackle games but his mum wanted him to play with his mates.
Second half of the video is Ben (9) and there is tackle but it's pretty light on tbh. He also won the BnF last year so you could say I enjoy watching them.

I started this thread because I'd love to see other junior games, I really enjoy the coaching aspect and I'm also curious to see how much more advanced the southern states are. I know Victoria would have a million of my boys and much better ones too.

First half of the video is Matty (7) and no tackle for Under 8s. Last year he played up with the 8s and won the BnF so not a bad player. He definitely needs to play some tackle games but his mum wanted him to play with his mates.
Second half of the video is Ben (9) and there is tackle but it's pretty light on tbh. He also won the BnF last year so you could say I enjoy watching them.

I started this thread because I'd love to see other junior games, I really enjoy the coaching aspect and I'm also curious to see how much more advanced the southern states are. I know Victoria would have a million of my boys and much better ones too.
My youngest bloke who is nearly 10 only did one season of Auskick. The reason he didn’t go back the next year was because he wasn’t allowed to tackle! Most boys are a bit rough and love to tackle so I totally disagree with the no tackling rules. If there’s no tackling it’s not really footy is it?

My youngest bloke who is nearly 10 only did one season of Auskick. The reason he didn’t go back the next year was because he wasn’t allowed to tackle! Most boys are a bit rough and love to tackle so I totally disagree with the no tackling rules. If there’s no tackling it’s not really footy is it?
Yeah my boys aren't fans of the no tackling/limited tackling rules but love footy enough to continue knowing they'll add that to their game soon.

I kinda understand having no tackle for 5, 6, 7, 8 year olds. Tackle might scare off boys who are a little gun shy and as they get used to the other elements of the game (kicking, marking, bouncing, handballing etc) they can add tackling to it.

Totally agree that for many boys they play footy to tackle and have a physical game.

We do have tackle in under 9s here so it's only a couple of years I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back