Dogs to remember the 1989 fightback

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, I DO care about the hoops. No offence to you Scrag, but that jumper Bont is wearing is not an accurate representation of our hooped jumper from the era. If we're going to celebrate 1989, I'd like to see areplica of the actual 1989 jumper, not a 2019 re-interpretation of it. Come on club, FFS, it's not hard...

https://www.footyjumpers.com/footscrayhome.htm
C465C3C1-AD95-44DC-ACA5-BE3C88B2C62D - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:
May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs

There is one thing all the retro jumpers get wrong. They are not made of wool. understand the players wont wear wool yet release the real deal for fans.

I've still wear my wool hoops design every week, ICI badge. Been offered money for it multiple times up to $500 once yet I wont sell.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Negative posts when we are going bad refer to our history and culture as being a losing one. Well the fightback is all about our history and it had a positive and winning outcome. I was there that day and it was a close second to the 2016 flag in fact we would not have that flag if that day did not happen.

Lets all celebrate it and nobody should be debating if it should be celebrated regardless of age. To the naysayers "Up Yours".

Last edited:

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks, that guernsey on the right is a thing of beauty. Still love our premiership hoops even more so. I often think we at the Bulldogs haven’t always respected our history enough so celebrate ‘89 with gusto. “Remember ‘89” used to be part of our song.

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like the jumper. Reckon it'll sell pretty well.

Anyone that went to St Paul’s Altona Norf Hayes the jumper, school jumper was exactly the same with one less white band

Didn’t stop me being a one eyed doggie though and yes I was in the Whitten stand that day

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally, I don’t think we should be celebrating a day where our club nearly died. To focus on negative moments in our history only attracts more. I would rather we focus on winning more premierships and getting out of the quagmire we are in as a club onfield!

I think it's about celebrating the fact we won the unwinnable and we're still here.

I posted this elsewhere too but, the great podcast 93' The Greatest Season That Was is currently working on the new series they will put out later in the year called 'Fitzroy Bulldogs'. Should he great listening.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was standing in front of the Whiten Stand just behind the camera
Interesting day Harry, Terry & Steve all spoke well - they did a good job
Later on TV I thought we were safe when Paul Roos choked when asked about training at the Western Oval - I had no time for him after that
Remember they took down the Footscray & Fitzroy signs at Waverley Park - the VFL thought it was a done deal
I praise the great EJ – we stuck it up em

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally, I don’t think we should be celebrating a day where our club nearly died. To focus on negative moments in our history only attracts more. I would rather we focus on winning more premierships and getting out of the quagmire we are in as a club onfield!

Unfortunately I think you are missing the point. We are celebrating that the club didn’t die and the fans (are you listening Gil) stood up and went against the AFL to save our magnificent club. It’s a celebration of the ongoing existence of the doggies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
God ppl piss me off - meaning anyone who now reaps the benefits of a great achievement the club made in '89. And by club I mean it's supporters inclusive.
Had a go at a Dick who didn't care on Facebook too.
You Dicks wouldn't be following Western Bulldogs if it wasn't for '89.
You're disrespecting my mum and dad (now deceased) who went to the rally. Dad took us to the footy every week. Mum never attended a game, but by God was she pissed when that was going to be taken away from her family. I hitched a ride with them to the rally as I'd totalled my car grand final day that year.
I'll never forget an elderly St Kilda supporter walking to the ground with us. We thanked her for coming and she said "we'll be next" if the bulldogs weren't able to stop this.
Just shows the "me me me" generation. No bloody respect.
And really, if you don't give a ****, good on you. Just shut up and let those who do give a **** enjoy their triumph.
Yeah I'm in a foul mood. Trying to quit the fags so I'm titchier than usual!!!!!!! But I'm correct in what I'm saying.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My sentiments exactly, great post! I’m with you brother!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lets remember and celebrate what we achieved as supporters of the bulldogs and those who didnt follow the bulldogs. Their involvement can never be repaid. That rally at western oval was a remarkable day, I was in the gent stand with family. People who are poo pooing this remembrance have nfi about what this club is about and where it came from.

What i dont want to hear though is how Irene Chatfield saved our club. If i hear that i will spew up.

Lets remember and celebrate what we achieved as supporters of the bulldogs and those who didnt follow the bulldogs. Their involvement can never be repaid. That rally at western oval was a remarkable day, I was in the gent stand with family. People who are poo pooing this remembrance have no idea about what this club is about and where it came from.

What i dont want to hear though is how Irene Chatfield saved our club. If i hear that i will spew up.
What's your point about Irene? She played a vital part in it didn't she?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I wasn’t aware til earlier in the week Irene was simply a figure head picked out of two ladies the club thought would be good for the “fight”.

I wasn’t aware til earlier in the week Irene was simply a figure head picked out of two ladies the club thought would be good for the “fight”.
She put her house up as security in the process of them raising funds?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
She put her house up as security in the process of them raising funds?

There was a bloke on SEN The other day discussing it. Peter Gordon’s ex business partner, missed his name and he was telling the story so I’m only going by what he said mate. His words were we had two ladies to choose from but Irene seemed to represent Footscray and the West the most of the two.

He also seemed to poo poo Irene’s level of achievement in the final outcome

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Chatfield was picked to be the name on the summons. The VFL were unlikely to even seek, let alone enforce, any adverse costs order against a pensioner, much less one without any assets at the time. Good on her for being involved though, she did as much as she could.

Dennis Galimberti alerted the media to the merger plan. Steve Palmer, a lawyer, had the idea to challenge the appointment of new club directors by the VFL in court. The firm he was working at, Rogers & Gaylard, acted pro-bono for Chatfield. They briefed barristers Ginnane (now Justice), Robertson & Vassie, all pro-bono well. Two days in Court bought the club the extra time needed to raise funds.

All the lawyers were lifelong Bulldog supporters with family ties to the club.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've always felt the credit she got was a bit over the top. My understanding is that a group of well heeled supporters devised a plan to challenge in the courts and they needed a figure to name on the court action. Irene was close by at the time.

Often the media portray her as saving the club single handed. No doubt she put in a lot of effort during the fight back and deserves credit, as do many many many others.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Anyone that went to St Paul’s Altona Norf Hayes the jumper, school jumper was exactly the same with one less white band

Didn’t stop me being a one eyed doggie though and yes I was in the Whitten stand that day
Remember it well, I went there from 76 to 80 and like you was in the stand and donated $200 which was a weeks wages and didn’t go down well with the misses haha

I’m conflicted a little, while what the supporters did in 1989 was courageous and showed Bulldog fight and tenacity and has my immense respect and gratitude. I wasn’t there at Whitten Oval, but I donated money to the cause and I was as angry as the next person at the proposal.

I always look at other clubs like Carlton who disdainfully refer to us as tin rattlers, but noted when Carlton was in financial trouble their supporters did nothing to help, certainly not rattling cans for the club.

However every time Gordon speaks, he brings it up. “Who was there? he always asks. For those people who were’t there it’s 30 years now, that clique ness can be alienating. Am I lesser of a supporter because I wasn’t at Whitten Oval that day? Does my three memberships going back to our wooden spoon year, my attendance at interstate games, and constant financial support and loyalty mean nothing, because I wasn’t there?

Back