Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
If he kicks 2 goals a game he is in the top 12 tall forwards in the league, better than any season Sam Reid has ever had, better than Taylor Walker last year, on par with Jarryd Roughead.

I'll set my sights considerably lower and dream of a 1 goal average like Franklin had in his first year
Against this defence he should kick 2 as third forward. Against WCE not so much.

Every week we see at least a glimpse of what he will be

Some magical stuff early yesterday

Thought he showed some impact that wouldn’t show on the stat sheet when the game was there to be won potentially

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney

Thought he showed some impact that wouldn’t show on the stat sheet when the game was there to be won potentially
Could be pushing more and more midfield/wing next year as his tank continues to develop

Built like a sentient broomstick, but classy, deceptively quick, a pest, and not afriad to get his little lizard hands dirty

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I’d be playing him off a wing now personally.

I also think Reid, Buddy, McCartin and Menzel is still one too many key forward types (Menzel is smaller than a key but is a marking forward).

While he hasnt blown games away or been a star by any stretch..he has shown a little something in just abut every game that indicates how good he can be.

We have seen sublime skills, speed, tackling, strong marks anr aggression. Overall very happy with his debut season and cant wait to see how much he develops next year

For his first two or three seasons its unlikely we are going to see him dominating matches, but if we can get regular signs then its all going to be worth it.

Remember Blakey is probably close to the least physically developed player on our list so we will need to show a heap of patience.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of those little around-the-corner kicks on his left from him. Something I've barely seen out of anyone else in memory and he can do them running at full-pace with strong accuracy.

His combination of athleticism, pace, marking, and skill could make for a seriously good player.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Even though there are guys like walsh and rozee who have been far more productive than blakey, i wouldnt trade either for him.. hes just so much of an unknown. His talent is obvious but you could make a case for him being either a key forward or mid...exciting times ahead

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Even though there are guys like walsh and rozee who have been far more productive than blakey, i wouldnt trade either for him.. hes just so much of an unknown. His talent is obvious but you could make a case for him being either a key forward or mid...exciting times ahead
Think I’d like him as a mid.

Back