Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Could we see Scooter accepting a similar deal to what Troy accepted when he moved to Geelong:
- VFL contract and a coaching role within the VFL team, so he can provide added mentorship on the field (probably similar to what he's doing now anyway)

I know Troy was captain of our VFL side, but not sure if that's something Scooter would want that

I hope he does.
Apparently he's brilliant off field from a personal coaching/mentoring point of view, and for himself a VFL spot and captaincy is decent coin considering he probably doesn't have many other options to earn after this year.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Jones is gone IMO. I think Cunico is too.
Simpson and Zuthrie have to be upraded bc of their contracts. We may want to upgrade Atkins too.
I think Hendo gets one more year especially if Taylor retires. My guess is Cockatoo gets one more year. Buzza is very borderline for me.
Smith gone. Will Bews get offered more elsewhere as an FA? With OConnor signed im thinking thats possible. Ablett goes around again surely.
Id like to keep Scooter around as a vfl captain but im not sure id waste a list spot on that,hes a fair way down the pecking order. Couldnt you just cut him and pick him back up mid season draft anyway if we get a major run of injuries?

If you assume TK Smith Taylor Bews Cunico and Scooter off the main list Jones off the rookie and Simpson Zuthrie and Atkins elevated that still only gives you 3 senior and 4 rookie spots. Which is why i think delist (and possibly rerookie) for Buzza is possible unless we do that to someone contracted like Jarvis or Kennerley. Spots will be pretty tight.
Will they even bother upgrading simpson? I would take cunico over him every day of the week.

Will they even bother upgrading simpson? I would take cunico over him every day of the week.
Yes they will because he was signed on a 2-yr deal last season and this is year 3 on the rookie list - so it's either upgrade to the senior list for the last year of his contract or a pay-out for next years contract

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

In truth , nether look to be future Tim Kelly replacements. ... but sometimes harmoney in club is given a high value. The positions have to go to someone and I doubt that either are on more than average dollars..probably less by a margin.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I like Atkins but Menegola every day of the week over him currently.
Id also drop Clark for Menegola because we are trying to win a flag this year. Have to be ruthless.

Happy to be ruthless - but for me part of that is not contorting our current setup to best accommodate Sam Menegola. He either has to fit in or find a way to fit in, and I don't think he fits into our current forwardline. There is some opportunity in the midfield, but little enough that Chook Constable has been squeezed out. Tricky stuff.

jnrburger

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Happy to be ruthless - but for me part of that is not contorting our current setup to best accommodate Sam Menegola. He either has to fit in or find a way to fit in, and I don't think he fits into our current forwardline. There is some opportunity in the midfield, but little enough that Chook Constable has been squeezed out. Tricky stuff.

Either O’Connor or Henry to come out for menegola into the midfield rotation - Atkins adds a level of toughness that we don’t otherwise have, and that is more important than another medium sized defender which we are more than covered for, whilst also having Guthrie as another option off half-back in need of a smaller type.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Either O’Connor or Henry to come out for menegola into the midfield rotation - Atkins adds a level of toughness that we don’t otherwise have, and that is more important than another medium sized defender which we are more than covered for, whilst also having Guthrie as another option off half-back in need of a smaller type.

O'Connor is playing better footy than Menegola this year. No chance of doing that switch imo.

Henry maybe, but we'd lose out defensively whether it's Guthrie or Clark that swings back there.

Hes contracted for next year and cant be rookie listed again so we either upgrade him or delist and pay out his contract-same with zuthrie.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What contract value is the club putting on TK? 750k pa for 3-5 years?

If you get rid of Scooter, that would free close to 400-450k pa alone...

Does anyone know what rival clubs are likely to offer Coniglio?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Would think it would be Clark who would come out when Menegola returns. He's been playing wing, which is where we would Menegola, given his running capacity. That's how I see it anyway

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Hmmmmm....:think:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...p/news-story/c9901266976f8d4f509ca8d30dc818e0

AFL 2019: Geelong confirms it has put ‘significant’ offer to Tim Kelly as race for signature heats up

Geelong is being creative to give itself the best chance of retaining Brownlow Medal fancy Tim Kelly — and it could lead to one of the game’s most radically flexible long-term deals yet.
Kelly, out of contract at the end of the year, has yet to make a call on what he’ll do come season’s end after his wish to be traded home to WA and join West Coast last October wasn’t granted. It means a three-way tussle between the Eagles, Cats and Dockers for Kelly’s services in 2020 looms.
But Cats list manager Stephen Wells on Wednesday night confirmed the club had already put an offer to Kelly. The Agereported it was a unique one-year deal, with a trigger to include a second season.

“What we’ve offered is significant and we’re hoping it’s enough to stay,” Wells told The Age.
“Everyone’s got their own circumstances, but we’d be silly not to be creative in our thinking in order to keep a good player like Tim Kelly.”
The same report said the deal, if accepted, would see Kelly’s salary increase to $800,000 in 2020, which would put him among the four highest paid Geelong players.
It would be a significant wage increase for Kelly, who as a second-year player has a base salary of $100,000, as well as $4000 for each game he plays, in 2019.

The Age also reported Geelong had put a longer term offer to Kelly — which reportedly didn’t sit well with the player as he ponders the prospect of returning home to WA — prior to the recent one-year offer.
But Kelly’s manager Anthony van der Wielen told the Herald Sun the Cats were yet to put official figures to him, saying parties were “really just talking a framework”.
“How can we get creative and what would it mean for a commitment. It is really just talking very openly and honestly about what are our options,” van der Wielen said.
The Herald Sun reported Kelly’s management had asked the Cats to work on a unique contract that would provide the midfielder with long-term security but flexibility to request a trade during the middle of his contract.

That could mean a one-year contract with up to four one-year deal triggers — a contract that would need to be ticked off by the AFL’s total player payments guru Ken Wood, who gave Josh Kelly’s unprecedented new deal at the Giants earlier this year the green light.
Amid a star-studded Geelong list, Tim Kelly, 24, has been a revelation for the Cats since being taken with Pick 24 in the 2017 draft.
Kelly, who hasn’t missed an AFL game since being drafted, currently leads both the AFL Coaches’ Association Player of the Year award and Champion Data’s Brownlow predictor.
This season, he’s averaged booted 10 goals, averaged 26.6 disposals and ranked among the league’s top 10 for clearances per game.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Back to the U18 kids - without having seen SA yet there’s three kids that I’m keen on at the picks we currently have. Fischer McAsey, Elijah Taylor and Jay Rantall. Unless we trade into earlier picks I’m not considering some of the more promoted names.

I see your man is named at CHF v SA. Rantall will be worth watching ..but there were several in that VC V Allies game that didnt look bad ..especially down back. I still like the look of DeK.. will take time however.

In the Sa V WA game ..there is a couple defender names in this that will be worth comparing to Mcasey..Hilder for SA against ET for one. Another couple of names id like to see is Will Day and Cam Taheney and Ky Pickett. KP is only short but he sure did look interesting in that rep game recently.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Parish looks ready to sign at Ess...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/344876ed2b139354532c449bec347ede

In-form midfielder Darcy Parish keen to ink new deal to remain at Essendon

Out-of-contract Essendon midfielder Darcy Parish has declared himself ‘red and black’, saying he wants to remain a part of the club deep into the future.
A host of rival AFL clubs, including Geelong, were circling the 21-year-old after he was left out of the Bombers’ Round 1 side, eager to chase the 2015 No. 5 national draft selection.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I see your man is named at CHF v SA. Rantall will be worth watching ..but there were several in that VC V Allies game that didnt look bad ..especially down back. I still like the look of DeK.. will take time however.

In the Sa V WA game ..there is a couple defender names in this that will be worth comparing to Mcasey..Hilder for SA against ET for one. Another couple of names id like to see is Will Day and Cam Taheney and Ky Pickett. KP is only short but he sure did look interesting in that rep game recently.
Rantall is a good watch, De Koning in defence also, seeing as I liked his bro and don't mind what I've seen from him so far.

Looking fwd to this weekends' games. I hope Darcy does recommit.

McAsey played many roles, don't judge him yet.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hendo ahead of Henry easily.

I thought id take this discussion here Pure ...

Henderson over Henry ... woooo there Nellie Im not jumping on that bandwagon. No I cant agree with that ..in what sense does that improve our side. I think ..if Hendo isnt cooked ..he is certainly medium rare. And Henry has shown more versatility.

Id probably be more interested in your opinion ... should we be more ware of the need to add a young KPD or do we go the more mature type that represents more value ..ie being closer to playing. Taylor is 33 , Henderson is 30 in December.. Is Schlensog a potential KPD ? Is Krueger? Is Buzza ?
I have not seen anything in our VFL side that would tell me we ave the future roll covered...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
What contract value is the club putting on TK? 750k pa for 3-5 years?

If you get rid of Scooter, that would free close to 400-450k pa alone...

Does anyone know what rival clubs are likely to offer Coniglio?

Know? Its only the type of speculation that we see in the media about Kelly. 7 figures is not out of the question... and Haw are right in it up to their necks.. My guess is the key people at Haw will be looking very hard at the way we bounced after being written off.. and that bounce had something to do with adding mature play now types. Coniglio as a FA... right up Haw's alley.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Know? Its only the type of speculation that we see in the media about Kelly. 7 figures is not out of the question... and Haw are right in it up to their necks.. My guess is the key people at Haw will be looking very hard at the way we bounced after being written off.. and that bounce had something to do with adding mature play now types. Coniglio as a FA... right up Haw's alley.
I’m sure they would be looking at it particularly if Geelong have success. But I would’ve thought they’d be looking at the other option. They have already been adding mature talent if not more so than Geelong. What is different for Geelong among other things is the mix of youth. Hawthorn haven’t added enough young talent to their team recently. Their team is more like the cats 2-3 years ago capable but a lot of average or more speculative players on the list.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m sure they would be looking at it particularly if Geelong have success. But I would’ve thought they’d be looking at the other option. They have already been adding mature talent if not more so than Geelong. What is different for Geelong among other things is the mix of youth. Hawthorn haven’t added enough young talent to their team recently. Their team is more like the cats 2-3 years ago capable but a lot of average or more speculative players on the list.

Coniglio is like a no ball at the world cup from a dodgy spinner... he is a free swing. If the do it right the get picks and him.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Yes they will because he was signed on a 2-yr deal last season and this is year 3 on the rookie list - so it's either upgrade to the senior list for the last year of his contract or a pay-out for next years contract
Possible de-list with a promise to redraft

Possible de-list with a promise to redraft

Considering he is already on the rookie list, can they delist and re-add him to the rookie list? Wouldn't be as easy just to elevate him to the senior list?

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Considering he is already on the rookie list, can they delist and re-add him to the rookie list? Wouldn't be as easy just to elevate him to the senior list?
I don't think there is a way to do it without going through the draft the rules as written are meant to discourage a team from keeping a player on the rookie list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back