2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Knoll ? im concentrating on AJ, he wants another crack and might get it.

Kicked 2 goals in general play. Was ineffective in the ruck, only had 4 hitouts and was soundly beaten.

Cameron had 25 hitouts and did the bulk of the ruckwork. Simpson had 43 for them and Flynn 16.

They are two different things... but his form doesn’t hold a candle to what he produced last year.

And 3 goals doesn’t tell the whole story at all.

Based on the data available
1st quarter 1 disposal, 0 tackles, 1 goal. Goal was pretty fortunate and easy goal
2nd quarter didn’t touch the ball or lay a tackle
3rd quarter 9 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal (his best quarter by far). Goal was from 50, got in good position
4th quarter 1 disposal, 1 goal, 0 tackles, goal off the ground

So got a couple of lucky opportunistic goals, had a great 3rd quarter but was largely missing for the rest of the game.

Won’t be a senior recall on the horizon anytime soon based on that performance.

You might as well talk to the wall.

I don't want to dismiss the performances of two some of our youngsters yesterday, but McGrath provided basically the only highlights of the game. Really liked some of his efforts yesterday
Yep, I think he only had about nine disposals (although, given the number of times that the listed players continually ignore top up players in a better position, that was a reasonable number) but he was a tough competitor and made seven tackles and plenty of pressure plays. To be honest I think he only had a reasonable, rather than great, NAB League series but he still managed to get into the Allies squad and given that they got absolutely smashed on Sunday they might well benefit from his toughness in the middle.

Good for you.

The problem with a very small (hand?) number of posters is they lack the capability to respond in either a civil or informed manner to legit contributions.

Look. There is the Tan around the Botanical, Beaconsfield Pde and other great places for you to use. So either have a jog on champ or resume your ontological vocation of buzzing as a barfly..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2yIJCk5.png

JDJlEpH.png

I like Pink but how the **** does Wicks not get BOG for that game. Although Pink didn’t poll a vote in the MVP award from that game so the bests are iffy anyway.

On an unrelated note, a few photos I saw showed Rowbottom doing the coin-toss and pre-game huddle, suggesting he was our captain on the weekend. If an 18 year old draftee captaining our reserves team is not enough evidence to show how badly we need more mature, established players on our list then I’m not sure what is!

I like Pink but how the **** does Wicks not get BOG for that game. Although Pink didn’t poll a vote in the MVP award from that game so the bests are iffy anyway.

On an unrelated note, a few photos I saw showed Rowbottom doing the coin-toss and pre-game huddle, suggesting he was our captain on the weekend. If an 18 year old draftee captaining our reserves team is not enough evidence to show how badly we need more mature, established players on our list then I’m not sure what is!

Yikes!! This is a real argument for Smith, KJ and Macca when they are fit spending the rest of the year in the ressies (bar the St Kilda game)

Yikes!! This is a real argument for Smith, KJ and Macca when they are fit spending the rest of the year in the ressies (bar the St Kilda game)

On the other hand in the absence of senior players Wicks and Rowbottom stepped up and became the leaders. Based on the swans article the club was pretty impressed that two first years had the confidence and leadership to take it to a much stronger gws side. Of course all the players in the neafl generally have hundreds of games under their belt from junior leagues. Often they will have captained many games. The impressive part is executing leadership at neafl level at such a young age. The swans might want them to keep going and lead rather than being led.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the other hand in the absence of senior players Wicks and Rowbottom stepped up and became the leaders. Based on the swans article the club was pretty impressed that two first years had the confidence and leadership to take it to a much stronger gws side. Of course all the players in the neafl generally have hundreds of games under their belt from junior leagues. Often they will have captained many games. The impressive part is executing leadership at neafl level at such a young age. The swans might want them to keep going and lead rather than being led.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair point. Equally both would benefit from having the three senior guys around. Macca in particular would be a great influence just through his on field coaching. Having minded and regularly beaten the best small forwards for a decade Smith would know every trick in the book and would a terrific influence on our smalls inc top up players whether they are forwards or backs. KJ too tho injury and father time has caught him has rich experience he can impart to listed and top-up players.

Even tho he cannot pull the boots on I would like Reg to fill any spare rooms in his house with Maibaum and Pink. The two lads earn their board and pearls of wisdom from Reg in return for helping him with the cars and child minding.

Funny that... at ground level I thought the lack of leadership was palpable. Zero enthusiasm in the warmup and never really felt like a “lift” was forthcoming.
Handing out the (C) is not something to be taken lightly with kids of this age and we can only speculate as to how it came about but I’d have thought there might be better options than a “6 game blow-in from Vic” to lead and inspire such a youthful team... but that’s just me
Oh and Belly, even by his own wavering standards, was poor. Can’t imagine why?
Wicksy continued to do as Wicksy does... head down, arse up... 100%. Is he a better forward/midfield or midfield/forward that’s the only question.
At ground level it’s easy to comprehend Big Toby topping the bests... absolutely loving his work ethic, his mobility, his strength... single-handedly kept us in it.
In the absence of that second listed defender and with “L plater” Amartey playing with little conviction in the new role, I thought MacKellar overreached a little as No2 defender, and young Barkley was caught in two minds quite a few times.
Forgive Hayden’s showing... looked to be very concerned about re-injuring himself. Give him a couple of weeks.
Zac Foot is growing on me. Doesn’t get a lot of it but is always in a handy position when he does.
Much prefer instinctive Macca than structured Macca...
Darcy already packed his bags maybe? Feel for him :(
Knoll and Hirst coming from way back in the pack.
Kids were good, just that mille-second of hesitation behind their listed opponents the difference between a win and a loss.
Gorgeous Sunday morning for it and thankfully many of the Giants fans found better things to do so it really wasn’t as soul-destroying as it might have been.

Last edited:
Thanks. It is always interesting to read first hand accounts of games watched on the telly or computer.

Funny that... at ground level I thought the lack of leadership was palpable. Zero enthusiasm in the warmup and never really felt like a “lift” was forthcoming.
Handing out the (C) is not something to be taken lightly with kids of this age and we can only speculate as to how it came about but I’d have thought there might be better options than a 6 game blow-in from Vic to lead and inspire such a youthful team... but that’s just me

Think that is a bit tough on Rowbottom. We picked him and he is hardly a 'blow in'.

That said it was a big ask on him. Given the number of top up kids, it may have been wiser to ask Wicks to take the role given he would at least know all the top up players.

On a related issue it did seem the listed players did not always use the top ups when they were in the best positions. Am curious whether you or others at the game had the same impression. I wonder whether the coaches address this issue with the players.

I am really keen our older retiring players spend the bulk of their remaining time in the ressies. Young listed players like Wicks, Rowbottom, Pink and Foot would stand to gain a great deal. The top ups too would benefit enormously, not least as some are in the running come draft time.

How does coaching or allowing players to ignore players in the best position and is this a problem across the whole main list. Buddy focus. This has happened for many years.

Coaching or allowing players to do it shows a great deal to me and why we turn the ball so much.

Second guess, shopping for a better option, looking were is the most senior/important player (3 to 1) dulls all instinct and it becomes a habit.

It effects disposal and decision making.

Bloodied52 Not meant as a crack at Rowy and have edited my post to tone it down... only trying to suppose how he might be viewed by a large part of the group given their comradeship with Belly and Wick... especially considering the way they have both put their bodies on the line in all 9 games this year and many in past years.
And I’d be disappointed, and think it unlikely, in either Bell or Wicks declined the invitation to lead the boys.
Agree with Tesla Tenet re taking the instinct away from these kids. It took COR quite some time to work out the balance between instinct and composure but he is seemingly getting a grip on it. For that reason I’d like for Stoddart to serve the season out in the twos and develop that understanding. I picture him getting picked and going all conservative and losing the “habit” of taking the game on with his speed that has put him in the selection picture recently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back