2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie Kemp will be one to keep an eye on for that bigger inside mid. Plays mid for local and hbf for vic country. Be around our first but if he has a big back end of the year possibly to rise.
I was going to mention Kemp, but pretty much figured he’d be off the board before our first pic.

Kemp would definitely be at the top of the list of big bodied mids that would suit our needs.

View attachment 686805

This is tantalising. Curious to know what we'll be doing in regards to our academy's future development. Now that we're playing an exciting brand of footy and winning we should be in a good position to attract a lot more kids into playing footy and offering decent development pathways for those that wish to pursue it. Harris and Hippy great poster boys for the Academy.
Reckon Reville would be almost a certainty to be drafted or rookied by the club. Coleman too. Both skilful and fast, two attributes we badly need.

Reville struggled in game 1 for the Allies and has been left out of the next Allies game by the looks: https://www.aflq.com.au/eight-queenslanders-named-in-afl-allies-round-3-team/

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perfect outcome. Out of sight and mind.
I've read and seen a bit of vision of Martyn but very little about Reville, what style of player is he? Do you see him as having a larger upside than Martyn WLF QL?

I've read and seen a bit of vision of Martyn but very little about Reville, what style of player is he? Do you see him as having a larger upside than Martyn WLF QL?
HBF and wing.

Hasn’t shown as much as what Coleman did last year.

Has looked good at times, but doesn’t hunt the ball or rack up disposals.

Reville is pretty much an outside winger. Good penetration in his kicks but as above probably doesn’t win his own ball or work hard enough unfortunately. Martin is an accumulator but hangs onto it too long at times. Not sure if Lions need him? Vic’s get the ball and get rid of it just as fast so Allies boys should take note of the IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've seen him only on NEAFL TV but I would say definitely more upside than Martyn who I think is not unlike a lot of smalls who can get the ball but aren't anything special. I'm not as focussed on what Reville can't do as what he can which is take on opponents with his pace and kick the ball long. I think they will be traits the club is interested in. And he seems quite accurate by foot considering he usually is working at pace. Let's see how he develops but I would be more interested in tracking his form against senior listed AFL players than his Allies form.

I've seen him only on NEAFL TV but I would say definitely more upside than Martyn who I think is not unlike a lot of smalls who can get the ball but aren't anything special. I'm not as focussed on what Reville can't do as what he can which is take on opponents with his pace and kick the ball long. I think they will be traits the club is interested in. And he seems quite accurate by foot considering he usually is working at pace. Let's see how he develops but I would be more interested in tracking his form against senior listed AFL players than his Allies form.

As we're seeing with Cutler that may not be enough, needs to also be able to apply pressure,tackle win his own ball etc

Sounds similar to Jacob Allison or as bungalow_bill suggested Tom Cutler.

With my two preseason favourites both looking like top 10-12 picks, I've re-adjusted my draft focus and might have two new potential kids to follow.

Mitch O'Neill from Tas, and Trent Rivers from WA.

O'Neill is a small, 178cm & 70kg inside/outside mid, playing mostly wing for the Allies at the U18 Championships because of his smaller and lighter body.

Rivers is a taller mid at 188cm & 85kg, playing as a general defender for WA at the U18 WA Championships.

Here's AFL Draft Central's notes on the pair from last weekends U18's game, Allies v WA.

#9 Mitch O’Neill
A standout four-quarter performance from the Tasmanian who brings others into the game with his elite kicking and decision making. O’Neill is so composed under pressure and clean at ground level or in the air, and takes the risky kick that can backfire, but with his skill often puts pressure on the opposition defence. An example was his spearing pass straight down the guts to Noah Cumberland who took a huge mark. Often O’Neill dictates to his teammates down the field where to lead or when to fly for marks by his kicks. Made very few mistakes in a really outstanding performance.

#35 Trent Rivers
Uses the ball well and had a solid game, with a big first quarter and a quieter second term, before working hard throughout the third and fourth quarters to win the footy. He has great vision and game awareness to set up scoring plays, and is able to use his slick skills to hit-up teammates leading out up forward. He won a vital one-on-one contest against Hewago Paul Oea on the wing, which would have been dangerous for the West Australians if he lost with a paddock in front of Oea. Rivers bumped his opponent off the ball and then with pressure coming, he had the composure to handball to a teammate and keep it moving. Remains composed with ball-in-hand and makes the right decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With my two preseason favourites both looking like top 10-12 picks, I've re-adjusted my draft focus and might have two new potential kids to follow.

O'Neill is a small, 178cm & 70kg inside/outside mid, playing mostly wing for the Allies at the U18 Championships because of his smaller and lighter body.

Rivers is a taller mid at 188cm & 85kg, playing as a general defender for WA at the U18 WA Championships.

Here's AFL Draft Central's notes on the pair from last weekends U18's game, Allies v WA.

#9 Mitch O’Neill
A standout four-quarter performance from the Tasmanian who brings others into the game with his elite kicking and decision making. O’Neill is so composed under pressure and clean at ground level or in the air, and takes the risky kick that can backfire, but with his skill often puts pressure on the opposition defence. An example was his spearing pass straight down the guts to Noah Cumberland who took a huge mark. Often O’Neill dictates to his teammates down the field where to lead or when to fly for marks by his kicks. Made very few mistakes in a really outstanding performance.

#35 Trent Rivers
Uses the ball well and had a solid game, with a big first quarter and a quieter second term, before working hard throughout the third and fourth quarters to win the footy. He has great vision and game awareness to set up scoring plays, and is able to use his slick skills to hit-up teammates leading out up forward. He won a vital one-on-one contest against Hewago Paul Oea on the wing, which would have been dangerous for the West Australians if he lost with a paddock in front of Oea. Rivers bumped his opponent off the ball and then with pressure coming, he had the composure to handball to a teammate and keep it moving. Remains composed with ball-in-hand and makes the right decisions.

Interesting some reports have Rivers height at 192cm....

I believe it is fairly evident that Fagan expects contested football and players who can win their own ball so assume that will reflect on the types of players drafted. In regards to Trent Rivers this is something that he can do. I also like Deven Robertson and also Elijah Taylor. A WA trifecta.

Trent Rivers
East Fremantle | Inside Midfielder/Defender
30/07/2001 | 188cm | 85kg

Captain of East Fremantle, Rivers is potentially the leading draft candidate for Western Australia this year along with Jeremy Sharp and Luke Jackson. Rivers is an inside midfielder who can play off half-back, attacking the ball fiercely and handing it off to his running teammates, while also creating plays off half-back. He is a consistent performer and has shown that this season in 2019, constantly finding the ball and laying plenty of tackles. A leader on the inside or outside, Rivers is a player Western Australia can rely upon to get the job done.

Deven Robertson
Perth | Inside Midfielder
30/06/2001 | 182cm | 80kg

Named captain of the West Australian side, Robertson is a crucial member of the inside midfield, and has been a natural-born leader throughout the journey. He attacks the contest with vigour and does not take a backwards step. One of a number of West Australians who were able to taste the atmosphere of the Under 18 Championships, averaging 14 disposals, seven tackles, two inside 50s and two marks. He is a huge ball winner at WAFL Colts level and will be a key midfielder in the state side.

Elijah Taylor

The electrifying forward showed why he is being labelled as a possible draft bolter, showing flashes of brilliance in the forward half. He finished with 13 possessions, three inside 50s, two marks, two tackles and two goals. The highlight of his game came in the fourth quarter, when he cleanly picked up the ball, darted around an opponent, shrugged off another opponent and snapped through a goal from about 50m out.

Edit: Jeremy Sharp is one player I hope we stay away from

#9 Mitch O’Neill

#35 Trent Rivers

IMO some of the Draft Central notes are not reflective of actual influence on the game rather then (some) players who “nearly” did something good or someone who was “looking” dangerous. He “looked like he was about to tear the game open” “kicked an early goal in the first term after contesting a ball in midfield and running forward” but no mention of dropping a mark under 10’’s would take prior to kicking the goal. Check the footage about the teammates who were burnt on a 2 multiple bounce runs that both resulted in turnovers in a team that lost by 20+ points. “Battled Hard”, “Made very few mistakes” “could not capitalize”. I would have made a very good footballer in my day if this was the criteria and I didn’t have to play defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IMO some of the Draft Central notes are not reflective of actual influence on the game rather then (some) players who “nearly” did something good or someone who was “looking” dangerous. He “looked like he was about to tear the game open” “kicked an early goal in the first term after contesting a ball in midfield and running forward” but no mention of dropping a mark under 10’’s would take prior to kicking the goal. Check the footage about the teammates who were burnt on a 2 multiple bounce runs that both resulted in turnovers in a team that lost by 20+ points. “Battled Hard”, “Made very few mistakes” “could not capitalize”. I would have made a very good footballer in my day if this was the criteria and I didn’t have to play defensive.

You find a lot of people who read the notes are actually family members and I know for a fact they are the most vocal about any sort of criticism. I try to incorporate errors they make in games when I can but I’ll be more vocal about them here for sure.

You find a lot of people who read the notes are actually family members and I know for a fact they are the most vocal about any sort of criticism. I try to incorporate errors they make in games when I can but I’ll be more vocal about them here for sure.

I have 2 net-balling daughters & would hate to see criticism of them in the media that’s for sure, but I would also like to see things written about them when they had a good game or an influence in the result not just when they tried hard. Again this is just my opinion & from what I see from afar.

Feel free to offer your insights on various players.

You're always quick to criticise other posters for highlighting certain players, discussing their favourites, or referring to AFL Draft Central, but rarely offer your own insights on matches or players outside of these criticisms.

You're not on your own here, as there are a small minority of others posters on the draft page, also tied to Northern Academy teams, who do the same. And it's getting tired real fast.

People often refer to AFL Draft Central because they are almost the only publication providing detailed write ups and analysis of the U18 Champs, TAC cup etc. There is very little on AFL.com about the U18 Champs or players, certainly not to the same extent, apart from Twomeys' podcast, and it's not as easy to copy and paste from Twomeys' podcast, even though he often talks about and highlights the same players.

I believe it is fairly evident that Fagan expects contested football and players who can win their own ball so assume that will reflect on the types of players drafted. In regards to Trent Rivers this is something that he can do. I also like Deven Robertson and also Elijah Taylor. A WA trifecta.

Edit: Jeremy Sharp is one player I hope we stay away from
Yup, getting very strong Tom Cutler vibes from Sharp. Which is a pity because he looks an absolute gun from a physique and athletic gifts perspective.

Thanks Briztoon, you are probably right. I’m a grumpy old man as my wife tells me so I apologize and shouldn’t pinpoint certain media outlets or name players. My opinions are mine and I try not to have pre conceived ideas on players prior to a match starting so get frustrated when I read things about players who IMO don’t contribute to what I perceive as being productive for the team. I have no idea about team game plans but when I watch the Vic’s & SA games I see players who play for each other, who get it & give it and play for the W as my daughters say. I’ve only been to a couple of Lions & Suns Academy games in Brisbane/Gold Coast (so wouldn’t say I am tied to the Northern Academies at all) this year (and as many Lions AFL games as I can) and rely on the Nab League live streams, replays, stats and some intel from connections to construct my thoughts. Im sure all these kids are fantastic individuals & I hope they all get drafted. I’ll take your criticism on board and will endeavor to smile more. Cheers

Thanks Briztoon, you are probably right. I’m a grumpy old man as my wife tells me so I apologize and shouldn’t pinpoint certain media outlets or name players. My opinions are mine and I try not to have pre conceived ideas on players prior to a match starting so get frustrated when I read things about players who IMO don’t contribute to what I perceive as being productive for the team. I have no idea about team game plans but when I watch the Vic’s & SA games I see players who play for each other, who get it & give it and play for the W as my daughters say. I’ve only been to a couple of Lions & Suns Academy games in Brisbane/Gold Coast (so wouldn’t say I am tied to the Northern Academies at all) this year (and as many Lions AFL games as I can) and rely on the Nab League live streams, replays, stats and some intel from connections to construct my thoughts. Im sure all these kids are fantastic individuals & I hope they all get drafted. I’ll take your criticism on board and will endeavor to smile more. Cheers
I don't mind people having an opinion. But if your going to comment on games, name the players. You're not the first person to disagree with match or player reports, but if you read the draft forum, you'll notice people will name players and discuss their performances and disagree. Yesterday there was a discussion about Trent Bianco and Louis Butler and people had varied opinions of the two.

Jeremy Sharp has divided peoples opinions this Champs, and there's been some good discussion about him. Same with the performances of Deven Robertson and Dylan Stephens.

In your reply to me you said a player burned his team mates with the selfish play, that lead to a turn over. Mention the player. Otherwise your reply is extremely frustrating.

It's been mentioned multiple times on the draft board, in multiple draft podcasts, Twomeys (Road to the Draft), Pete Williams (Final Siren) and Matt Balmers (Fox Footy), by multiple club scouts on those podcasts, even by the Lions head of scouting and recruiting, Steve Conole on Road to the Draft and the Roar Deal podcast, that they look for moments, an elite skill or attribute. They don't expect the kids to have completely rounded games, that will come with coaching in a full time AFL environment.

As was mentioned on Twomey's latest episode, the SA and WA teams often appear more of a team as the main core or even most of the squad play together from the U16 Champs through to the U18's, where as there is more depth in Victoria so there's a lot more chopping and changing of their teams from U16's to U18's. Same with the Allies who's players come from 4 club academies and 2 state academies. Priority goes to the Allies academy members, which means kids who are late developers might miss out because they weren't part of the initial set up, or there might be a position of depth and it's just not possible to include all those kids in the team.

Love reading Briz's and JJs thoughts on the draft, QLD Lion 2019 has been a welcome addition on here and the Draft, Trading and FA board this year.

Who do you like the look of that would be around the mark of our likely first couple of selections this year ie. 17-22 QLD Lion?

Today’s episode o the weekends games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back