Review Good/Bad vs Richmond - Rd 13, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ll well recall that I’ve been very critical in the past of this group and their inability to find a way back into games when it’s not on their terms.

They’ve had some dreadful losses in important games and we all know which games- they’ve just failed to turn up and they lose by 30-40 points - never in it.

What I’m seeing now, and I first noticed it against Brisbane, is a resilience and belief that even when things aren’t on our terms we grind it out and wear down the opposition.

We can go 3-5 goals down but keep persevering until eventually the game plan clicks.

This group have erased a huge amount of supporter trust over the last 5-6 years - but I can see that they finally have a methodology, and a belief in that methodology, which sees them work through loss of momentum and loss of how they want to play.

It’s much more resilient- test is ongoing of course

Yeah, I think it felt far too much like the Hawthorn game to me. That we were able to turn it around is pleasing- 12 post half time goals.

It's still pretty hard to have any real faith that it will happen.

Sloane’s efforts in the last two weeks are reminiscent of what we came to expect from the Ricciutos, McLeods, Goodwins, Edwardses and Jarmans of the world. He is approaching that sort of legendary status, because he is having a massive impact in clutch moments of games and it’s almost become something you can rely on like clockwork.
Agree totally, and remember --- Pyke has something to do with sending him forward :thumbsu:.
Call it Plan S(loane); he has the guts/ability to turn a game.

Last night he seemed to have zero awareness of Richmond players. I think I saw him get tackled or almost tackled around our 50m line in 3 of the 4 quarters. The one in the first quarter was the strangest one. Seemed to just run directly into 2 Richmond players, despite having space to try and go around them or kick it before he got to them.
There was a few times that players didn't Sheppard him (atkins & greenwood) I would be shocked if his role isn't always go long and other players were told to give him space.

I have 2 young children so know what it's like to have a parent seated with them and have to curb my language
So, no "Bald-headed flog/maggot" catcalls from your trio? cheers :) (I can't believe the fuss about that)

The snot'n'spit, red-faced rage and aggro shown by some spectators troubles me, especially with children around.

Watching Eddie around the goals is like watching Seve Ballesteros execute his short game. Not only does he have the side to side accuracy, he hits the ball with exactly the right combination of power and vertical trajectory.

Last week against GWS, if he'd tried to dribble it through, Phil Davis was close enough in the goalsquare to rush it through. Apart from the right to left bend, he knew he had to kick it fairly flat to get the bend on it that he needed. Last night's goal he knew he was bending it right to left through a narrow gap, so he underkicked it (in terms of how much power he put into the kick) to minimise the spin. Look how the ball lands, almost softly, behind the point post - it's like a great golfer floating a wedge over a bunker onto the green.
Fantastic observation. Not only that, it's the combination of side and overspin on the ball. You Seve reference is perfect, he's a bloody maestro.

Last edited:
Interesting to see CEY play deep forward at times last night. I've seen him bob up in the forward line, but not as the last man in the structure before. I really admire the way he's overcome some signficant set backs and keeps adding strings to his bow. As someone who didn't see "it" at the start of his career, it's wonderful to be so very wrong. It amazes me to think he's played less AFL footy than Greenwood and Riley Knight.
Really good post. CEY was seriously injured just when he was starting to show signs of a future gun (second knee reconstruction March 2017). Came back looking ripped last year and I had big hopes for him but his defensive running was poor, remember? This year he's improving week by week, becoming a fierce and feared competitor and a real asset.

Me too. Fogarty chews gum! Two risks there, to his teeth and choking on the gum in a tackle.
Thats not gum that fog is chewing on... he’s still chewing on whats left of the souls of the hundreds of poor defenders that have fallen victim to his past wrath...

So, no "Bald-headed flog/maggot" catcalls from your trio? cheers :) (I can't believe the fuss about that)

The snot'n'spit, red-faced rage and aggro shown by some spectators troubles me, especially with children around.
I sit next to my child psychologist friend and he could see that the father was very uncomfortable and his kids were scared.

I'm not usually one to speak up but these two fellas had had enough to drink.
My friend says you're going to say something aren't you.

I politely asked them to tone down the language as they were scaring young children.
They told me where to go and then my police officer friend moved them on

The most astonishing part, though, is that he actually ran to a point that accommodated the kick he had in mind. He knew the kick he wanted and the angle he needed. It's innate, he didn't have time to get a protractor out.
Top post; clinical and insightful analysis of Eddie's genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) ... the father was very uncomfortable and his kids were scared. 2) I'm not usually one to speak up but these two fellas had had enough to drink.
My friend says you're going to say something aren't you. I politely asked them to tone down the language as they were scaring young children.
3) They told me where to go and then my police officer friend moved them on
1) Yeah, this is what worries me. My niece was so traumatised by the abuse/aggro at a PA (home)/Crows game back around 2015 that she's never been back.
2) Drunken idiots. You had every right to ask them to be more aware and considerate.
3) Typical, boorish, twerp reaction by them, but a good outcome.
Were your 2 children ok, afterwards and later after the game?

1) Yeah, this is what worries me. My niece was so traumatised by the abuse/aggro at a PA (home)/Crows game back around 2015 that she's never been back.
2) Drunken idiots. You had every right to ask them to be more aware and considerate.
3) Typical, boorish, twerp reaction by them, but a good outcome.
Were your 2 children ok, afterwards and later after the game?
They weren't my 2 but the gentleman sitting next to me.

The children were more relaxed as soon as these morons were moved on and he and the people around me thanked me for speaking up.

I didn't know my police officer friend was in the vicinity. That was an added bonus

Tell you what though, if you had told me at 1-3 that we'd end up 8-5 I'd have taken it. The greater frustration is that we very well should have won the two that we lost (although we should have lost to Melb as well I suppose in fairness).

Thought we had a good run with the umpires again. Weird to say.

Also, crowd low again. Love to see the excuses this week.

Yep, that was a decently umpired game from what I saw.

Crowd might be low because of the thurs night... a lot of crows supporters are from the country and doing these things without a public holiday on the friday make it difficult for them to get down.

After listening to the pyke presser I am starting to think that maybe I was a bit hard on us. Perhaps I should've given extra weight to the 5 day break, 3 games in 12 days and playing up in darwin and working our butts off last week to beat the form team of the comp. I apologise.

I sit in the riverbank stand (red section) and two years ago 3 blokes took up seats near me. They are the most horrid types of supporters. They drink constantly, yell abuse at the top of their lungs - especially at our players like Jenkins (yes even last night) and unfortunately think they are hilarious when doing so.
I am no prude, but it's actually reached the point where I'm no longer fussed if I go to the game or not. It's removed a heap of my enjoyment of the game. I can't stand the tools.

Thanks. It's not an ACL then, but jeez 8-12 weeks is still pretty bad. It'll take at least 2 games to get back to match fitness as well.
Not so much "good" news, as not-terrible news. :(
Seedsman like injury but still lengthy sadly.

Thanks. It's not an ACL then, but jeez 8-12 weeks is still pretty bad. It'll take at least 2 games to get back to match fitness as well.
Not so much "good" news, as not-terrible news. :(
Maybe it will end up a silver lining by forcing us to really sort out our forward setup rather than wallpapering over or persisting with a broken like we are at the moment

Fantastic observation. Not only that, it's the combination of side and overspin on the ball. You Seve reference is perfect, he's a bloody maestro.
the only other player I can recall that was that good at getting the ball to do exactly what he wanted was Darren Jarman, but i'm not even sure if he was on Eddie's level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back