Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sat 15th June 7.25PM @ Etihad - Team Post #426

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine turning your back on 400k a year and the opportunity to play along side Gary Ablett, Dangerfield, Kelly and Selwood in a team that would have been a lock to play finals and possibly win a flag so you can stay at Carlton, who just won the spoon and all your supporters think you are soft and undeserving of selection before JSos. Baffling

On exposed form - Murphy wouldn't be a starting player at Geelong - who would you drop from Geelong's midfield to make way for Murphy? Guarantee you they'd be playing Walsh ahead of Murphy.

Need Murphy to look 40+ metres away for his kicks, so much more damaging to the opposition when he does.

Those dinky 20 meter kicks to a contest are momentum killers and catch everyone out of position when a turnover results.

Needs to be better than that because he can be

People need to chill the **** out a bit.

It's not like we've delisted Jack. If I'm being honest, if I was told back in Jan that Jack would have played 8 of the first 12 I would have found it hard to believe.

I feel like he's improved after his last stint in the VFL and I'm expecting him to work on a few more things this time and return a better player again. He had that 'coaches corner' video earlier in the week so it's not like his efforts are going unnoticed.

Personally I think the team balance is a bit better with this week's change. Hopefully when they walk out onto the field we see Kreuz, Cripps, Ed & Walsh in the square. Wings, HFF, FP and on-ball rotations from Fisher, Murphy, Gibbons, Setterfield, Cuningham, Dow, O'Brien & SPS if he's not playing HBF.

Go Blues.

Anyone else concerned that Ed is back in the forward line - hope it is a starting position but ends up playing 50% + in the middle in a shut down role.

Still think he enabled Cripps to dominate last week

After the game last week Teague was asked about starting Ed in tagging role next week and he said something along the lines of - best not to pre-meditate who needs to be shut down - prefer to have a look at how the game is panning out first and then send Ed to however is doing damage (if needed). I like the approach.

Lets not ignore goal assists, which I feel he had about 5 off the top of my head last week.

You can replay the jsos' great Gibbons goal effort 5 times or watch each of his individual 5+ marking contests where he was pushed out, dropped the mark. This will develop him, dropping a player after a win, will set stds and send a message- no favourites, improve, perform

Anyone else concerned that Ed is back in the forward line - hope it is a starting position but ends up playing 50% + in the middle in a shut down role.

Still think he enabled Cripps to dominate last week
Concerned ? About what I ask ?
First of all they rarely give away who is playing where except for what is obvious. Keep the opposition guessing.
Second Ed forward was never the problem. It was the lack of forward structure. I reckon with the amount of ball coming in last week Ed could have kicked 6. But really we know he will go on whoever needs minding as the game progresses.

Last edited:
You can replay the jsos' great Gibbons goal effort 5 times or watch each of his individual 5+ marking contests where he was pushed out, dropped the mark. This will develop him, dropping a player after a win, will set stds and send a message- no favourites, improve, perform

The latter is why he won’t have a place in a premiership pushing side if he doesn’t improve that aspect of his game.

The former is a quality that, if paired with ability in the latter, makes him intro an extremely good third forward.

FWIW I don’t think he has the innate strength in grip, body or through the shoulders to be able to clunk those or out body opponents. I hope he proves wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On exposed form - Murphy wouldn't be a starting player at Geelong - who would you drop from Geelong's midfield to make way for Murphy? Guarantee you they'd be playing Walsh ahead of Murphy.
I'm commenting on his treatment by fans here, but I think Murphy would be a wing/bench in Geelong

I'm commenting on his treatment by fans here, but I think Murphy would be a wing/bench in Geelong

Murph used to be a great player many years ago - lets see if his form improves to AFL standard given his experience under new coach - because based on form this year and last - embarrassing tbh.

Maybe some folks need to get to the ground and see what McGovern amongst others really does. Dont just look at a few tv highlights then cast judgement.
Perfect chance this Saturday night.

Get down to the Docklands guys and support our boys!

Ed starting in the forward line makes sense.

We should come into this game expecting to win the ruck contest.
If we win the ruck contest, we should be moving the ball into our forward half.
If we're playing mostly in our forward half, then Ed playing on Caleb Daniel limits their ability to rebound.
If we limit their ability to rebound we keep the ball in our forward half.

Only reason to then move Ed into a shut-down role in the middle is if the Dogs starting getting on top in the clearances, which should be a reactive move, not our default position.

So yeah - structure up as though we're going to win the ball, and make changes if that's not working out for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back