Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you think this? I love what he can do, but given his age I just don't see much more improvement. I don't want him to go - he definitely adds something different to our midfield, but even with a decent pre-season is he going to get that much better now?
Just because he still only plays cameo’s, but they usually contain flashes of play that only 2-3 players in the comp are capable of. If he could string those cameos into full games he will be scary.

Just because he still only plays cameo’s, but they usually contain flashes of play that only 2-3 players in the comp are capable of. If he could string those cameos into full games he will be scary.
Reality is though, can he do that ??

Do you think the clubs mindset is trending towards a mini rebuild next year?
I don't know. I would call it more a "regeneration" rather than a rebuild. I think what we do is every year we introduce a couple of kids (or inexperienced players - e.g. Keath this year, Hugh in 2017, Gallucci, Murphy, FOG etc last year) along the way with the intention to get them to push for a spot the following year. Its the approach that generates mixed opinions from general public but its something that has worked reasonably well for us since the likes of Ricciuto, McLeod etc have retired.

We have invested pretty heavily into our list (in terms of youth) over the last 3-4 years and we might do the same again this year given the hand we have in the draft.

It’s the risk we have to take IMO
Im not sure we do really. I rate the guy, hes got qualities that few in our side have..... HOWEVER I wouldnt be offering a big money deal.

Hes picked a poor time to be in poor form

Im not sure we do really. I rate the guy, hes got qualities that few in our side have..... HOWEVER I wouldnt be offering a big money deal.

Hes picked a poor time to be in poor form
What do you think is overs for him though? Keeping in mind we were all more then happy to pay Gov 600k/3... Not saying thats what we need to offer Hugh, just pointing out, salaries are going up!

The way he plays, if he can maintain around 20 possessions and a goal a game for the rest of the year (including finals) you would be crazy to trade him.

Keath this year, Hugh in 2017, Gallucci, Murphy, FOG
Keath - has proven he has earned his spot. Already 10x the player hartigan is. Takes the play on intercepts well and defends well when needed. All the things hartigan isn't.

Greenwood - Don't understand why anyone would consider not playing him if fit. In my top 5 players at the club . A real contested footy beast and stood up in finals already at his young age, who deserves a game every week. If we aren't promising him that I say good on him for looking elsewhere. The selectors must have rocks in their heads.

Galluci - hasn't had more than 15 disposals (before this weekend this year and has kicked 2 goals as a small forward haven't checked his stats for this week). Simply doesn't deserve a spot.

Murphy - Up and down player but not much up. But if we can carry him for awhile could turn into a good player. Undecided on him.

But you don't carry 5 of these players with Jenkins kicking 6 in the sanfl and 50 a year in the afl and Gibbs in the sanfl and greenwood as an emergency (that's right that's the only reason he got a game this week and he killed it again). It's just bad selection.

People want to see atkins dropped but don't question gallucis output.?! Sometimes I think I'm living in fantasy land. He racked up 27 last week and I think a goal while galluci had 12 or so disposals and no goals .

Selections are a mess. Not impressed.

Keath - has proven he has earned his spot. Already 10x the player hartigan is. Takes the play on intercepts well and defends well when needed. All the things hartigan isn't.

Greenwood - Don't understand why anyone would consider not playing him if fit. In my top 5 players at the club . A real contested footy beast and stood up in finals already at his young age, who deserves a game every week. If we aren't promising him that I say good on him for looking elsewhere. The selectors must have rocks in their heads.

Galluci - hasn't had more than 15 disposals (before this weekend this year and has kicked 2 goals as a small forward haven't checked his stats for this week). Simply doesn't deserve a spot.

Murphy - Up and down player but not much up. But if we can carry him for awhile could turn into a good player. Undecided on him.

But you don't carry 5 of these players with Jenkins kicking 6 in the sanfl and 50 a year in the afl and Gibbs in the sanfl and greenwood as an emergency (that's right that's the only reason he got a game this week and he killed it again). It's just bad selection.

People want to see atkins dropped but don't question gallucis output.?! Sometimes I think I'm living in fantasy land. He racked up 27 last week and I think a goal while galluci had 12 or so disposals and no goals .

Take a closer look at what the good offers in game. He is excellent at spotting up players inside forward 50. He actually gives us real value for his possessions

Maybe he's just a cameo player. And the cameos he DOES do - strong contested ball, the occasional contested mark - probably 200 players in the comp can do.

I think he's the classic player that supporters overrate, because we love the one contested mark a game he can get, and we get all excited with a really physical tackle.

He doesn't impact a game enough, and I'm not convinced he'll ever be better than what he is.

Keath has proven he's good at being a smart intercept footballer, and so far he's been a very mediocre one-on-one defender. Hartigan takes on the best opposition forwards, and wins far more often than he loses.

If Keath goes, you replace him with Doedee. Or Butts. Or Aaron Francis.

Greenwood may have plateaued at 12 possessions, many of which are just rushed kicks forward. He doesn't impact the game enough for a midfield role.

Gallucci is shaping up to be extraordinarily impact player. Unlike Greenwood, nearly every disposal does something positive for the team. He's really making himself into one of the first picked.

Murphy seems like a solid trier and team man, but the quality level seems low. I'd rather have someone with more upside in his role.

Gallucci was great this week - but so was Atkins, and anyone who says otherwise had blinkers on.

The selectors were a week late in bringing Jenkins back and Gibbs should still be there, but mostly they've been right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got 4 retirements coming up and adding FA CEY takes us to our 5th pick in the draft. We’d have to be in full rebuild mode to prefer a 5th rounder ahead of rolling into 2020 with CEY as depth. Even if a bit overpriced as depth.

Not at all. You do not take overpriced depth over any option at all as that is the single worst option a club can be in, as it is wasted cash which could either be used to keep a key piece or bring someone in.

Even if that 5th round is a complete dud, it is better then keeping CEY at 250k in the reserves. Premierships aren't won by what is sitting in the SANFL after all.

Not at all. You do not take overpriced depth over any option at all as that is the single worst option a club can be in, as it is wasted cash which could either be used to keep a key piece or bring someone in.

Even if that 5th round is a complete dud, it is better then keeping CEY at 250k in the reserves. Premierships aren't won by what is sitting in the SANFL after all.

Tell that to WCE who won a premiership with a depth ruckman.

Tell that to WCE who won a premiership with a depth ruckman.

Well a depth ruckmen they'd be paying base pay too, not the 300k that I'd reckon CEY would attract. The money is the most important fact here, and you don't pay more to keep someone to sit them in the SANFL.

Don't get me wrong, you keep CEY if we didn't have a salary cap even if he would end up as depth. However, poor management of a salary cap is crippling to any side as it limits who you could attract, and who you can retain.

Well a depth ruckmen they'd be paying base pay too, not the 300k that I'd reckon CEY would attract. The money is the most important fact here, and you don't pay more to keep someone to sit them in the SANFL.

Don't get me wrong, you keep CEY if we didn't have a salary cap even if he would end up as depth. However, poor management of a salary cap is crippling to any side as it limits who you could attract, and who you can retain.

Given how long he was in the system and how many times he played and held his own at AFL evel even prior to last year.. I'd say 300k would be around what he was on.

Considering that Menzel and Hampton were on around $450k each, I am more than happy to pay CEY $300k

Absolute rubbish on Gallucci - not everyone needs 25 touches per game - he is our best kick to inside 50 targets , has clean hands , chase and pressure excellent . He offers something others in our team do not and he is building nicely .
Averaging 2 direct goal assists over the last 3 which is absolutely elite .
Has just turned 21 , PLENTY of upside left for Little Luigi

Last edited:
Considering that Menzel and Hampton were on around $450k each, I am more than happy to pay CEY $300k
Really ?? where do those numbers come from ... seems very unlikely although we did put Tambling on a smidge over $400K for 3 years

Absolute rubbish on Gallucci - not everyone needs 25 touches per game - he is our best kick to inside 50 targets , has clean hands , chase and pressure excellent . He offers something others in our team do not and he is building nicely .
Averaging 2 direct goal assists over the last 3 which is absolutely elite .
Has just turned 21 , PLENTY of upside left for Little Luigi
Agree to disagree. Hasn't done enough to earn his spot imo, especially when you have Gibbs and jenkins kicking 6 in the sanfl . No I'm not saying it's a direct swap, but they could work it out if the selectors had a brain cell between them.

Agree to disagree. Hasn't done enough to earn his spot imo, especially when you have Gibbs and jenkins kicking 6 in the sanfl . No I'm not saying it's a direct swap, but they could work it out if the selectors had a brain cell between them.
I think your call on Gallucci will end up like your call on RoB and Himmelberg, Gallucci has X-factor (limited possession but high impact).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back