Review Good/Bad vs Richmond - Rd 13, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

PrideoSA

Senior List
Apr 21, 2018
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I sit in the riverbank stand (red section) and two years ago 3 blokes took up seats near me. They are the most horrid types of supporters. They drink constantly, yell abuse at the top of their lungs - especially at our players like Jenkins (yes even last night) and unfortunately think they are hilarious when doing so.
I am no prude, but it's actually reached the point where I'm no longer fussed if I go to the game or not. It's removed a heap of my enjoyment of the game. I can't stand the tools.
damn, that sucks. Am sure many around them feel the same as you. People like that with no respect for others need to stay at home to watch the football.

Way to go overboard. I was critical of his game last night. He was poor. But he is rarely that bad and is usually pretty consistent.

I disagree.

He either laces out our players down field OR the opposition. His turnovers are usually in terrible positions that lead directly to goals against. For an "Elite Leg" he turns it over a lot.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good win but not sure we can take too much out of it. We will see who stands up against Geelong.

Outside guys like Douglas, Milera and Atkins who are struggling. The form of Smith, Laird and Seedsman a worry as well. Good to win when we appear to have many not at their best.
Smith - 22 touche and a goal
Laird - 32 touches and 4 tackles
Seed - 26 touches and a goal
Atkins - 29 touches and a goal

Gee, you are a hard taskmaster saying their form was a worry...a nice return to form for Seed though and I agree Milera and Douglas didn't have their best games

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was a few times that players didn't Sheppard him (atkins & greenwood) I would be shocked if his role isn't always go long and other players were told to give him space.
Our shepherding last night was deplorable. There lack of effort or intensity allowing an opponent past to go and tackle our player with the ball was evident so many times.
I've said before, but I think it shows a lack of team first attitude. Doing your bit when you don't have the ball.

As an old coach said to me, even if you have 30, you only have the ball for about 2mins a game, so it's about what you are doing for the other 118 mins that counts

Bazz_27

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LFC,
Our shepherding last night was deplorable. There lack of effort or intensity allowing an opponent past to go and tackle our player with the ball was evident so many times.
I've said before, but I think it shows a lack of team first attitude. Doing your bit when you don't have the ball.

As an old coach said to me, even if you have 30, you only have the ball for about 2mins a game, so it's about what you are doing for the other 118 mins that counts
I do some local footy coaching and kids these days just don't shepherd! I mean i'm only in my early 30s but when we were coming through we were taught to protect each other and create the space for our teammates especially the damaging ones

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our shepherding last night was deplorable

Players don’t bother anymore because it’s too easy to catch a guy slightly high and get rubbed out for two weeks.

The shepherd is just a bump off the ball, players have pretty much stopped bumping so why wouldn’t they stop shepherding? The two go hand in hand.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

True, but it's not just us. I'm constantly surprised that a good shepherd seems to be the exception and not the rule in the AFL.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree.

He either laces out our players down field OR the opposition. His turnovers are usually in terrible positions that lead directly to goals against. For an "Elite Leg" he turns it over a lot.
We'll agree to disagree.

I think he's normally pretty damn consistent with that leg. He plays a role that comes with dangerous kicks to try and open up play through the middle. When he gets its wrong it stands out.

Milera is the same. They can be lethal kicks and they've obviously been given a license to take the game on. It's pretty rare that both of them forget how to kick on the same night.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Players don’t bother anymore because it’s too easy to catch a guy slightly high and get rubbed out for two weeks.

The shepherd is just a bump off the ball, players have pretty much stopped bumping so why wouldn’t they stop shepherding? The two go hand in hand.
Maybe, but you don't have to hit a guy to shepherd / get in his way.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

In a lot of scenarios a bump isn't even necessary. Just get in they way with your arms out. There must be a reason coaches tell players not to do it in certain situations. It's not as if it takes a lot of effort.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smith would arguably be the most protected player on this board. Could play 5 bad ones in a row and wouldn’t matter - flies a long way under the radar.

I’m one of those people. I might stop at four bad ones though...

There’s elite legs and there’s elite legs. He has unbelievable penetration in his kick, like a Dew, but he’s not necessarily great over short distances.

But he is so important in terms of what he offers to the team. Players with that sort of line-breaking prowess and Dew-like penetration on their kick don’t grow on trees.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
the only other player I can recall that was that good at getting the ball to do exactly what he wanted was Darren Jarman, but i'm not even sure if he was on Eddie's level

Nobody loves Ed more than me but his leg wasn’t as good as Jarman’s.

Ed has the finesse and the touch, Jarman had the finesse, touch AND penetration. He could kick off a step, Ed can’t.

Both freaks though.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just on the cheer squad banging on the fence thing: I think we might be jumping at shadows. I think they were told off not because they were barracking too loudly but because the AFL / SMA doesn't want people banging on the LED signage and potentially damaging it.

Which is a cause for debate, but it's not the same as spectators being told to "be quiet".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Atkins is often our outside exit kick from congested situations and did it very well last night. Although he is hair pulling frustration at times...he is important to our setup and IMO that’s why he keeps getting picked.
And he's a leftie - very handy when exiting left from the kick in's ....also a reason why Kelly keeps getting picked I suspect.

Also, genuine LOL at Port fans claiming Tex's contribution are 'junk time'.

His two goals in the third were as result critical as could be, the week after kicking the clutch lead taker, a few weeks after kicking the sealer in the Showdown.

The big guy's plenty of things, but a skiier aint one of them.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Agree totally, and remember --- Pyke has something to do with sending him forward :thumbsu:.
Call it Plan S(loane); he has the guts/ability to turn a game.
Pyke alluded to this in the presser....he was forced to keep his mids on the ground due to the injuries, and he moved them into the forward line. i think it actually helps us with Sloane and CEY up there in particular.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Smith's game isnt getting quite enough heat. It was very very poor at times, with his low disposal efficiency and 8 clangers directly resulting in goals against. He'd want to lift his form pretty quickly, or he should be given a run in the twos.
Yep, that's fair. One of my favourites but's he hasn't had a good couple of weeks.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just on the cheer squad banging on the fence thing: I think we might be jumping at shadows. I think they were told off not because they were barracking too loudly but because the AFL / SMA doesn't want people banging on the LED signage and potentially damaging it.

Which is a cause for debate, but it's not the same as spectators being told to "be quiet".
That's a good point.

I’m one of those people. I might stop at four bad ones though...

There’s elite legs and there’s elite legs. He has unbelievable penetration in his kick, like a Dew, but he’s not necessarily great over short distances.

But he is so important in terms of what he offers to the team. Players with that sort of line-breaking prowess and Dew-like penetration on their kick don’t grow on trees.

Well then, use the penetrative leg and leave the short passing in the cupboard. He has to play to his strength and by trying to short pass he's constantly placing the team under pressure. He always seems to get a gold pass from this board, no matter how many clangers he commits. Atkins can have half the clangers and he gets crucified.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Last night he seemed to have zero awareness of Richmond players. I think I saw him get tackled or almost tackled around our 50m line in 3 of the 4 quarters. The one in the first quarter was the strangest one. Seemed to just run directly into 2 Richmond players, despite having space to try and go around them or kick it before he got to them.
Is that the one with Greenwood not bothering with a shepherd and expecting the handball receive?

Smithers gets the shepherd and has a shot from 50. Instead he gets tackled.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is that the one with Greenwood not bothering with a shepherd and expecting the handball receive?

Smithers gets the shepherd and has a shot from 50. Instead he gets tackled.

Possibly. Even without a shepherd he had time to get a kick away or not run directly at the 2 tacklers.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Possibly. Even without a shepherd he had time to get a kick away or not run directly at the 2 tacklers.
The direction he ran in was odd.

Tend to agree his awareness is poor. He could have offloaded to Greenwood as well.

Nobody loves Ed more than me but his leg wasn’t as good as Jarman’s.

Ed has the finesse and the touch, Jarman had the finesse, touch AND penetration. He could kick off a step, Ed can’t.

Both freaks though.
fair call too. jarman could kick 75 in the right conditions

Aug 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I disagree. Shepherd with arms out low is not even close to a bump. It's all about impeding the opposition, even for a fraction of a second. It can turn what would have been a rushed kick forward under pressure into a measured disposal to a target. The good players, the team players, they all still do it. Rat and Mckay... two serial non-shepherders, s**t me to tears when they peel off looking for the easy handball rather than shepherding for their team-mate.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Once again we dominate large portions of a game but leave it til the last 10 minutes to put it away. We are yet to really have a full 4 quarter performance, its a concern and a blessing at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back