Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sat 15th June 7.25PM @ Etihad - Team Post #426

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGovern in the team makes them pay attention to everybody. He's been good up the ground too

Yeah he demands respect from his opponent and currently is being used further up the ground.

This means his opponent is forced to go with him and the likes of Mckay/Charlie have more space and can get more 1v1's.

Much more reliable mark than JSOS, which means we can use him as a bail out kick or a hit up on the wing to connect from half back to half forward with more confidence.

Not sure he is anymore to be honest.

The question for me is where does Jack fit in?

I don't think he's a mid especially with what we have coming through.

In defence we have so many tall/nearly tall options. Up forward we have McGovern Charlie Kerr McKay TDK. We need 3 Max. in my opinion.

I'm not saying Jack isn't good enough but he's going to have to keep improving and find his niche to be a regular best 22.

Murph used to be a great player many years ago - lets see if his form improves to AFL standard given his experience under new coach - because based on form this year and last - embarrassing tbh.
He's heading towards the end of his career so you have to expect his performances to decline, which they have maybe more suddenly than we had hoped. However, in his defence, we haven't exactly played a style of footy that has suited him since Ratts left. Maybe the more free flowing and running style Teague is encouraging will help.

LOL at everyone quoting stats. Jack credited with 2 tackles last game. If his name had of been dusty would have been credited with 10 tackles.

They are highly subjective.

Jack a bit stiff but I like it and think it will pay off.

Murph deserves more respect than what he gets around these parts.

Last edited:
He's heading towards the end of his career so you have to expect his performances to decline, which they have maybe more suddenly than we had hoped. However, in his defence, we haven't exactly played a style of footy that has suited him since Ratts left. Maybe the more free flowing and running style Teague is encouraging will help.

I reckon it will, and will help the likes of Walsh, SPS, LOB and Fisher.

Murphy's strength is gut running and being a link up midfielder from half back to half forward, hitting up short targets along the way and then delivering inside 50. Our previous game style didn't suit those strengths as there was little movement and cohesion among the players...we saw guys like LOB and SPS also have one of their better games last week.

Worth watching Teague's press conference for anyone who hasn't yet.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-14/teague-backs-motivated-blues

The question for me is where does Jack fit in?

I don't think he's a mid especially with what we have coming through.

In defence we have so many tall/nearly tall options. Up forward we have McGovern Charlie Kerr McKay TDK. We need 3 Max. in my opinion.

I'm not saying Jack isn't good enough but he's going to have to keep improving and find his niche to be a regular best 22.
It's going to be tough for him but he really needs to work on his weaknesses.

His biggest weaknesses are speed, overhead marking, set shot goal kicking and medium size. His biggest strengths are ground level hands, footy smarts, competitiveness and forward/back versatility. As things stand that's probably not going to cut it against the best talent coming through.

If you look at his weaknesses the only things he can really improve on are his marking, set shots and body strength. If he can also offset his lack of speed with elite endurance the package is starting to come together.

You genuinely believe our caretaker coach would be sacked if a match up didn't work out as he'd liked.
I suspect that most of the football world would have grave doubts about a coaches ability if the 198cm key position player Liam Jones spent the day chasing the 183cm small forward Charlie Cameron.

Won't be long

DeKoning Jack DeLuca Williamson Docherty Jones Stocker Goddard Kennedy Lang Garlett Polson Macreadie etc and we will add another 5-8 quality players at years end.

Define quality players.. I'm bullish about attracting a couple of good players, but 5-8?? Seriously..8???

And how do we get these 5-8 players?
Name a club in the last 20 years that have recruited 8 'QUALITY' players in the one season?
Even harder, name a bottom 3 club in the last 20 years that has recruited 8 quality players in one season.
Which 8 players go to make way?
How do we fit 8 'quality' players under our salary cap?

I respect your enthusiasm and positivity, but you are kidding yourself soap if you think we can recruit 8 quality players without giving some quality back in return.

If we were to recruit 8 quality players, I'd say 5 of those you mentioned would need to go.

Define quality players.. I'm bullish about attracting a couple of good players, but 5-8?? Seriously..8???

Name a club in the last 20 years that have recruited 8 'QUALITY' players in the one season?
Even harder, name a bottom 3 club in the last 20 years that has recruited 8 quality players in one season.

I respect your enthusiasm and positivity, but you are kidding yourself soap if you think we can recruit 8 quality players without giving some quality back in return.

If we were to recruit 8 quality players, I'd say 5 of those you mentioned would need to go.
Send Cripps to WA for two firsts, get a PP from Gil, trade or swap SPS, Fish, Charlie and Harry and that is 5 players out and we only need Simmo, Murphy and Kreuzer to retire and you have 8 spots, 4 player swaps, and 4 draft picks in the first round.

Not hard

Send Cripps to WA for two firsts, get a PP from Gil, trade or swap SPS, Fish, Charlie and Harry and that is 5 players out and we only need Simmo, Murphy and Kreuzer to retire and you have 8 spots, 4 player swaps, and 4 draft picks in the first round.

Not hard

um.....no

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not hard

In reality

First round pick, 3rd round pick, future picks, a couple of FA's and some draftees or DFA's. It's not that hard

Not hard
Lol love it..

We don't need 8 though that's being not only dramatic but will end up causing salary cap problems in 2 to 3 years... 2 good mids and a small fwd is plenty

Seriously? How many have we got each year over the last few years since SOS was in charge?

Last year after One win we got Stocker Walsh Newman Setterfield McGovern Gibbons Goddard then Bugg (retired). All have improved our list. Still hopeful on BSOS & Cottrell. Now we have added DeLuca and I'm sure we will improve our list even further this year.

You said quality players soap.. you have listed;
Walsh - a gun No.1 draft pick. (Yes)
Stocker - has done everything right but is still a couple of seasons away (Not yet)
Newman - a role player, I like him but he needs to improve his disposal (No)
Setterfield - I like the kid, gets the pill but needs to improve disposal and should, but quality.. not yet (Not yet)
McGovern - should get better but has the tools and presence (Yes)
Gibbons- love the kid. Will be our Kane Lambert (Yes)
Goddard (No)
BSoS (Not yet)
Bugg (lol)
Fasolo (No)
Cottrell (Not yet)

So I would suggest we should pick up 2-3 quality players, 2-3 players with potential to be quality and a couple of role players/depth coverage.

I suppose we have different ideas of quality.

Not hard

Where do I sign!! :D:D

Are we really even going to debate such a claim? Is there a point?
If we attain 2 starting 22 players, we would have done very well. 3 would be unbelievable.
I'm drawing a terribly long bow here, but Coniglio, Papley and Cunningham would be a dream.....yet likely a dream too far away.

There's a pretty good team here against The Dogs this week.
Only Docherty & Jones make for walk-up starts, with Williamson a little further back.
Our height should worry The Dogs and if it doesn't.....then maybe we're doing something wrong.

You said quality players soap.. you have listed;
Walsh - a gun No.1 draft pick. (Yes)
Stocker - has done everything right but is still a couple of seasons away (Not yet)
Newman - a role player, I like him but he needs to improve his disposal (No)
Setterfield - I like the kid, gets the pill but needs to improve disposal and should, but quality.. not yet (Not yet)
McGovern - should get better but has the tools and presence (Yes)
Gibbons- love the kid. Will be our Kane Lambert (Yes)
Goddard (No)
BSoS (Not yet)
Bugg (lol)
Fasolo (No)
Cottrell (Not yet)

So I would suggest we should pick up 2-3 quality players, 2-3 players with potential to be quality and a couple of role players/depth coverage.

I suppose we have different ideas of quality.
Why is Goddard a no? As soon as we don't have Jones or casboult he will be our full back kids a gun

In reality

First round pick - yes
3rd round pick - speculative when it gets to pick 50 plus
future picks - future first would get a quality player so yes.
a couple of FA's (who do you suggest?, how many have picked up in the past other than Thomas?)
and some draftees (already covered)
DFA's - haven't exactly set the world on fire there..

It's not that hard - actually, it is and it has been.

Why is Goddard a no? As soon as we don't have Jones or casboult he will be our full back kids a gun

A gun.. what has he done to be labelled a gun.
FMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back