Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
You seem to think we are offended by this comment, but we aren't.

If being a plastic soulless corporation means we keep winning, have an excellent track record for finding and developing talent, are profitable, have no debt, sponsors up to our wazoo and thousands of loyal members. OK then, I guess we are.

The alternative, being broke and anchored to the bottom of the ladder for nearly 20 years? It doesn't seem all that palatable.

Who's broke and anchored to the bottom for nearly 20 years?
Closest I can think is North, Bulldogs or Saints...that's on the financial side of things...on field, a couple of those have done better than the Cows so I don't know why you'd bring them up here.

Feb 5, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cranky crikeys
On paper, as it stands, crows have this one in the bag. And by all reports the two chaps looking at going Number 1# are guns. Super draft blah blah blah etc etc. As the crows continue to rise and we stay anchored they'll wave it in front of our face no more than I've reminded my crow buddies how the GIbbs trade has failed.....so far. There's still time for Gibbs to click into gear and feature in their finals campaign.

I'm hoping we can scrape off the bottom before seasons end and deny them the pleasure. Kinda like Indiana Jones reaching back and snatcing his hat from a falling concrete pillar. I'll be heading over to Vic for the Round 19 Blues V Crows game and I've got a funny feeling this could be a very defining match. One scenario I'm fantasising with is 1, winning. 2, getting off the bottom and 3, denying the crows a home final. something along those lines. Of course it could go the other way....

End of the day we all know the results of this deal wont be completely known for many years. I actually wouldn't be surprised in 3-4 years that it actually ends up working out for us. But for now the crows have the upper hand and in a sense we handed it to them.

Time for some Mike Skinner lyrics...

"it's like blackjack
He might get the ace or the top one
So organize your two's and three's into a run then you'll have stuffed him son
And for that you'll be the better one" ;)

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Who's broke and anchored to the bottom for nearly 20 years?
Closest I can think is North, Bulldogs or Saints...that's on the financial side of things...on field, a couple of those have done better than the Cows so I don't know why you'd bring them up here.

No, I was definitely talking about the CFC.

In 19 years your club has finished 10th or lower 13 times, including 5 wooden spoons. You may not win the spoon this year, but it will still be 14 times below 10th place in 20 years.

Of those 6 more successful seasons from 1999, 1 was 1999 (2nd), the other in 2000 (3rd). Of the remaining 4 seasons you have never finished higher than 5th (2011).

As for my club? Yes, we should have won at least 1 of the 3 flags we were in genuine contention for: 2005, 2006 and 2017 in particular. We botched them all for various reasons.

Of the three examples you gave. North haven't been a real contender since 2000. The Saints managed to do what the Saints do best over the last 20 years, waste bucket loads of talent for no tangible result; and the Bulldogs fluked a flag in 2016, but are back to stinking it up again, as usual. A point you will prove by beating them, again, this weekend.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves

In 19 years your club has finished 10th or lower 13 times, including 5 wooden spoons. You may not win the spoon this year, but it will still be 14 times below 10th place in 20 years.

Of those 6 more successful seasons from 1999, 1 was 1999 (2nd), the other in 2000 (3rd). Of the remaining 4 seasons you have never finished higher than 5th (2011).

As for my club? Yes, we should have won at least 1 of the 3 flags we were in genuine contention for: 2005, 2006 and 2017 in particular. We botched them all for various reasons.

Of the three examples you gave. North haven't been a real contender since 2000. The Saints managed to do what the Saints do best over the last 20 years, waste bucket loads of talent for no tangible result; and the Bulldogs fluked a flag in 2016, but are back to stinking it up again, as usual. A point you will prove by beating them, again, this weekend.

Oh, the dribble...
You said twenty years...and over those twenty years our average position is 11.5 - hardly call that 'anchored to the bottom'!
And we're not broke!
I know North hasn't been a real contender...I'm just trying to figure out who you mean by 'broke' and anchored to the bottom.
And I'm well aware of what the saints and Bulldogs have done...again I'm just looking at the financial side of those clubs...again have achieved more than the cows the last couple of decades.
Head scratcher.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

Ha ha ha delusion at it's best, hows this WE WILL WIN A FLAG BEFORE YOU.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
You seem to think we are offended by this comment, but we aren't.

If being a plastic soulless corporation means we keep winning, have an excellent track record for finding and developing talent, are profitable, have no debt, sponsors up to our wazoo and thousands of loyal members. OK then, I guess we are.

The alternative, being broke and anchored to the bottom of the ladder for nearly 20 years? It doesn't seem all that palatable.
Your not by chance bald headed are you?

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Crows will struggle without the help of their home-town umpires.

Frees 17-11 Adelaide’s way v Richmond.
24-7 Adelaide’s way v GWS.

Cant wait to hear the squealing and conspiracy theories when the free kick count goes against them and they lose away from home.

It's not the free kicks. They've come across quite a number of injury depleted teams.

Will be interested to see how they play against Geelong.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not the free kicks. They've come across quite a number of injury depleted teams.

We were lucky that Melbourne kicked away the game, should have lost. GWS and Tigers we met at home both missing key players. Might be one of those years where a good injury run combined with a good draw sees us finish a couple of spots higher than expected. Cats will spank us over there, plenty of posters talking about adding an extra week off for guys like Sloane etc as it’s a certain loss. I think we can improve, but I also think we’re lucky to be sitting where we are. But that’s footy.

What are these various reasons? Is there a recurring pattern?

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
What are these various reasons? Is there a recurring pattern?
In the 3 cases I mentioned, we failed to win finals when it mattered after dominating the home and away season

We didn’t have the right game plan in 05, 06 despite us having a core of hardened GF winning players. Craig’s inabilities to adapt as a coach cost us both flags. Most AFC fans are really bitter about these 2 years. I know I am. It was ours for the taking and we blew it.

In 2017 we had the right game plan, but the problem was clearly mentality and preparation. Richmond saw that mental softness and ripped us apart.

Zuribagger

Hopeful
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the crows have sfa injuries. Shortest injury list in the comp. Objectively it looks like we could end up with them in the top 4 but hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

It was about this time last year when we were playing like crap but somehow winning some games and about top 4 (maybe a couple of rounds earlier).

Champion data came out with some bizarre math thing that had us most likely to finish top of the ladder.

There is hope for you yet.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately what Crow supporters and many of our own, continue to forget, from the start of the trade and until the upcoming trade period, it is a 2 for 1 deal, with no guarantees that any of the players selected will be busts and or better than the other

I still think it is a case of knowing if we would commit the same trade with the benefit of hindsight. Currently, I am unsure that Carlton would do this trade again, but then again, maybe they really rated Stocker super high and anything extra is a bonus.

Heres Waite

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Still think Lukosius will be the best player from last year's draft.

Rankine is a freak, but his defensive side has always been conditional and not sure he will ever build enough endurance and or fitness to play meaningful minutes through the middle. Not surprising he pinged a hammy

No way the Crows get their hands on either of these kids with our pick, especially in this draft
I don’t. I think Walsh will be the best player from the draft.

Heres Waite

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Love this line:

"Based on the list Carlton has as a whole, it has at least as good a chance as Adelaide of winning a premiership during Stocker’s career. In Weitering, Harry McKay and Ed Curnow it has some quality talls,..."

Ed has clearly risen:)
I now see Bolton’s confusion and why he played Ed forward. I suppose compared to Bolts, Ed is KPP height.

Heres Waite

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Steady on..you realise Sloane is also a captain and he is no ballet dancer..every bit as tough as cripps at the contest
No doubt that Sloane is a great player and great captain.

You realise he was talking about Walker who is also your captain and who is as soft as butter. Looks like Tarzan (although he is starting to look a bit heavy) and plays like ... a ballerina. I suppose he did bring the idea of the “power stance” though! Lol!

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
It was about this time last year when we were playing like crap but somehow winning some games and about top 4 (maybe a couple of rounds earlier).

Champion data came out with some bizarre math thing that had us most likely to finish top of the ladder.

There is hope for you yet.
Alway's hope mate, without hope you may as well be watching lawn bowls.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I still think it is a case of knowing if we would commit the same trade with the benefit of hindsight. Currently, I am unsure that Carlton would do this trade again, but then again, maybe they really rated Stocker super high and anything extra is a bonus.
Watching Silvagni operate the last 3 years i'm sure he would do it again.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

You realise he was talking about Walker who is also your captain and who is as soft as butter. Looks like Tarzan (although he is starting to look a bit heavy) and plays like ... a ballerina. I suppose he did bring the idea of the “power stance” though! Lol!
:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves

I clearly wasn’t talking slow enough for him.

In the 3 cases I mentioned, we failed to win finals when it mattered after dominating the home and away season

We didn’t have the right game plan in 05, 06 despite us having a core of hardened GF winning players. Craig’s inabilities to adapt as a coach cost us both flags. Most AFC fans are really bitter about these 2 years. I know I am. It was ours for the taking and we blew it.

In 2017 we had the right game plan, but the problem was clearly mentality and preparation. Richmond saw that mental softness and ripped us apart.
So coaches? Who oversees them, gives feedback and support?

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
On the pick swap, it ultimately comes down to our assessment of Stocker. That was our target and he needs to be a superstar or this was an exceedingly poor trade.

But I want to point out that while I approve of trading to get a player you like in theory, the implementation was forced to be poor because of poor prior moves.

In particular, Getting McGovern (when we already had Curnow, McKay, Casboult, TDK, Silvagni and Kerr was a ridiculous move to start with that reeked of desperation (“I’ve promised Bolts we will get mature players but we missed on Shiel and he’s all we can convince to come”). We bought high on a guy who has minimal impact on games, is injury prone, and whose best skills duplicates something we already have in spades with younger, more talented players.

Had we not that move we could have traded directly with the Swans for 13 and used that on Stocker, then used the academy pick more flexibly.

Or, if you are desperate for McGovern then move on one or two of the young bigs, stockpile assets another way. Or figure out a different way to get Setterfield.

Point is, we stripped the cupboard bare of assets prior to the draft - no picks in the second or third round this year, or the second next year. Then realised a guy we loved was available and went after him with zero to offer except arguably the most valuable thing we had our list other than Cripps (and at the time maybe Curnow).

It should be said that if Stocker isn’t a star (or we somehow eke out 5 more wins this year), this trade will be brutal for 15 years, in the same way that that the Hamill/Livingstone or Jaksch/Boekhurst schemozzle was. Knightmare’s player comps for Anderson and Rowell are De Goey and Selwood, and both seem reasonably safe bets.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I should add, anyone who expected we were getting out of the bottom 2 this year at the time of that trade was utterly deluded.

Once we missed on Shiel, it was clear our player profile was going be even younger than last year, with veterans who had carried our few recent wins getting older, and literally none of our young crew hitting age 23-25 and entering their primes. No matter how positive you are on the young guys this was always going to be another development year, and while you could hope for some luck that hasn’t occurred, there was no reason to predict a huge jump (unless you somehow thought that Newman, McGovern and Docherty coming off a knee reconstruction were worth 7-8 wins, which is delusional). You can’t start the year with one best 22 midfielder aged 23-29 and expect anything other than bottom 4.

In that case, you just don’t trade your future first pick, unless you are getting a proven star. The choice that comes with pick 1 or 2 is worth so much more than the actual player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back